Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
I can't answer your specific questions re Benidorm but re questions relating specifically to the disability issues:

5) Yes, your Blue Badge permit is valid in Spain and the AA have produced a guide for the different regulations in countries in the EU here but the scheme in Spain operates broadly similar to the Blue Badge scheme in the UK.

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/blue_badge_abroad.pdf

7) You could find this tight because passengers receiving assistance are usually boarded first but disembarked last. They do this so that you can take your time and so that if you need to be taken off the plane in a special transit chair or with an ambilift there is more room for manoeuvre. On the other hand you will probably find that you are fast tracked through security and customs etc. When travelling with my Mum I've seen parts of airports that I never expected to see as we were taken theough doors marked 'Staff Only' etc. I would suggest that you contact the car hire people and explain the situation etc. I would have expected them to remain open until pre-booked customers arrive - I'd be surprised if they shut up shop before delayed passengers are able to collect their cars - but contact them to make sure.

8 ) Yes, assistance will be available for you at the departure and arrival airports but you need to let your carrier know in advance so that they can book it on your behalf. If you have booked a package then in the first instance contact the TO's Customer Service dept. If you have booked your flights direct with the airline then contact their helpline - the details will be on your booking confirmation. You can ask for assistance from the airport car park right through to the plane and vice versa depending on your needs. I don't know enough about Alicante airport to know whether this could extend as far as the car hire office at Alicante but if it is within the airport terminal or on the airport site then it probably will and it can include both someone to push you and another person to manage the luggage for you and your husband. In my experience the system works very well (apart from hiccups with Ryanair but that is another story). They will ask detailed questions about your needs (including if there is no airbridge whether you can manage the stairs to the plane or need an ambulift etc) and then will book what ever is needed. The more notice you can give them the better in most cases and tell them where you need the assistance staff to meet you and take you at both ends of both yourr outbound and inbound flights etc.

I hope you enjoy your break and I am sure that others will be able to answer the questions re Benidorm itself.

SM
Thank you for your advice SM. Are there steps to the planes usually then? Im used to long haul flights which you walk through a tunnel to and they let me stay in my chair till the plane door. I hate the thought of them using a lift to get me in the plane!

One of the car companies have said they stay open till 11pm, and after that theres a €40 surcharge and you collect the keys from somewhere else at the airport? We are flying with Norwegian airlines from Gatwick to Alicante.

I know Gatwick SA are great as used them many times before, but not for a short flight. I'll have to get hubby to call as its difficult for me on the phone.

Thanks again.
x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.