Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi everyone, could any of you tell us which, exactly, is "bar street" in Gumbet. :?:

Thanks
Bar Street does what it says on the tin - it's got lots of bars in it! It's not very long and the bars tend to be 'banging' (or is that me getting older?). Don't be deceived though, it's nothing like those in Faliraki, etc and you are made to feel welcome whatever your age. Also there are loads of bars to choose from right through Gumbet and once you're there, you tend to find your own favourite/s.
Not to much info for gumbet
allways for marmaris
come on gumbet crew?
wheres the best place 2 eat in gumbet?
and best prices
dont be shy COME ON OI OI
WE HAVE BEEN TO MARMARIS ABOUT 7 TIMES ,TRIED GUMBET LAST SEPTEMBER, DONT WANT TO GO AGAIN,SEEMED MORE DOWN DOWN MARKET,EVERY MEAL IN EVERY RESTURANT WAS THE THE SAME, NO ENTERTAINMENT.VERY SMALL RESORT IN COMPARISON ,EVERYBODY TO THEIR OWN.

*Edit as per the T&C please do not post with caps locks on thanks Briar
Each to their own, I agree. We love Gumbet (third and fourth trips coming up in June and September this year). Good places to eat? For us, Chinatown is a must, along with Cheers, Planet Yucca and Turkish Delights. You can be entertained or not as you please (we tend to make our own) and we love Cheers bar in the evenings. For us, entertainment is getting to chat to loads of other people (both holidaymakers and the locals). Another fantastic eating place is Salmakis Chinese in Bitez (dead cheap in a taxi for a very short journey). I haven't been to Marmaris so couldn't compare the two but we love Gumbet (mixed group aged between 26 and 61) and haven't found anything to complain about. As for the meals being the same in the restaurants, I don't see being able to choose from international (Italian, Chinese, Indian, English, Turkish, etc) menus at each restaurant as all being the same. Yes, steak is steak wherever you go, but it's cooked in so many different ways that it doesn't taste the same. The lamb is to die for and some of the Turkish meals are fantastic. Try asking in the restaurant for their recommendations - you'll be surprised at how many different things there are to try.
Hi Monarch19,

When are you going to Gumbet and where are you staying? We are off on 5th August staying in the Grand Newport. 1st trip to Gumbet. 8)
I can highly recommend Planet Yucca.Fab food to die for as for most places being repetetive in their food....I didn't find that at all.I suppose it's all down to whether you are willing to experiment with different tastes.
We ate something different every night we were ther.
I for one can't wait to go back
Hi anyone been to gumbet this year?i'm off with 6 other members of my family in september.
So how is gumbet lookin this year?and can any one comment on prices of food,drink's etc this year?
many thank's,maz,xx :tup
Hi Maz,

This is the first time for ages that I wont be going to Gumbet, we used to live there for a while so it will be strange going somewhere else. Hope you have a good holiday, I will miss the old place this year ;)

Kedi x
Hi Maz, we were in Gumbet from 19 to 26 April this year as we were buying a house over there. Not all of Gumbet was open when we were there but everybody was busy getting ready. A lot of it is much the same with the same familiar faces - I swear I stop to talk to more people in Gumbet than I do in the village where I've lived for over 20 years. There's a new coffee bar - it was due to open the day after we left - it looked a bit of a Starbucks kind of place and was opposite the entrance to the Parkim Hotel. Prices looked to be about the same as last year.

When are you going in September and where are you staying? We fly out on 8 September for a fortnight and will be staying in our new place for the first time - exciting!

We're actually going to Marmaris for a week on Sunday - I booked cheap flights to Dalaman last June before we bought the house and I thought it would be nice to see somewhere else in Turkey. Now I'm regretting it and wish we were flying out to Bodrum. Never mind, I'm sure we'll enjoy our hol and maybe Marmaris will make me love Gumbet even more than I already do.

JAKKI
Hi kedi,thanks for the reply,yeah i can't wait to go!!
Never went last year due to going to ibiza with my sister and her family,so were taking them to gumbet this year,its gonna be there first visit to turkey and i no there just gonna luv it!!
luv maz,xxx :)
So where are you going this year for your hols?
Hi jakki,were are also going to gumbet on the 8th of sept,for two weeks,we are staying at the dilek,we never stayed here before,but i no its opposite cafe de columbia,so quite central,pleased to hear the prices havn't changed to much!
We went to ibiza last year,and spent in one week,what we would of spent in two weeks in gumbet!!!
You are so lucky having a place in gumbet,if i win the lottery,i'm gonna buy one too,lol!!!
So can you recommend any great places to eat,and we are looking for a decent boat trip,thats not too overcrowded!!
I'm sure you will have a good time in marmaris,my mother-in-law goes there a lot,and loves the place!!
Luv,maz,xxxxx :tup
Woops jakki,i forgot to ask where you flying from in september? :whoops
We are going to Lanzarote this year. It will be different !!
:que

anyone recommend any decent bars?

i'm getting older so not into rowdy dance bars etc. would prefer karoke, live entertainment (not dancing boys), somewhere to watch sport at night ie euro championships, people watch during the day etc.

anyone have there favourite restaurants? are all bars doing free wine etc?

any info would be appreciated

please going next monday!!!
Hi Maz, we fly from Manchester to Gumbet in September.

Just got back from Marmaris this morning and while we were there, we drove over to Gumbet for a couple of days to look at the new house (had booked Marmaris before buying).

A good bar for watching the football is the Radio Sports Bar (almost opposite the Greenhouse Apartments). Good bars are Cheers/Mascot bar/restaurant - not rowdy, no dancing guys, but great staff and a good night - also brilliant food. Also try Chinatown (for a great variety) and Seray Zetas (for fantastic Turkish food). And I'm so glad that I'm back in Gumbet in September and for all the years after that. Marmaris is so different - much more built up, bigger, more anonymous (if you know what I mean). We went to Gumbet last Wednesday and Thursday and when we got back to Marmaris, I was homesick (and not for my house in England!).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.