Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Kalkan Excursions
112 Posts
Pop in and see Jane. I cant remember the name of her agency but you cant miss her. English lady, tall slim and stands out side the office, (surrounded by cats) which is next to the Ozlap Resturant on the right hand side of the street if walking down into Kalkan from the post office :)
I think this travel agency may be called oz travel or something like that but can` t remember. Also if you go to the harbour and find a boat called the Juliette you will find the owner to be english. He can help with trips no doubt as can his Turkish captain. Tibbs.
We are off to kalkan in 5 weeks, does anybody how much you pay to go the Beach Clubs and is there a turkish bath in Kalkan.

Any information on the resort would be gratefully received.

Thanks Sak 46
hI SAK46, the beach clubs are only about £3 per person inc. sunbed all day . the Mahal beach club was a good one free boat transport from Kalkan harbour to it & back of course.. Turkish bath at the hotel YELKEN short taxi ride £2 from village .. i was staying at this hotel last Sept with Tapestry Holidays and people were coming from other hotels just for the excellent Turkish Bath.. both male & female masseurs... only thing is Tapestry pulled out from this hotel for this year so check if its still open... hope this helps.... :ghug
Any tips for great eating places in Kalkan?
We were there 2 years ago but would appreciate any 2005 recommendations!
Thanks.
Alison
We went to Kalkan last year. Good places we found were Kosk, The Fish Terrace, Avalon, Sunset, The old Boudinya ( with card tricks from Mehmet ) and others we have forgot. A word to the wise though , a 10% service charge was sometimes added on but you can haggle it off prior to going in.
Just back from Kakan and found the food more expensive than before .Best place we found was the Merkaz which is on the street halfway up the hill you'll know it if you've been before it sells lovely turkish delight .Their food is great and at a good price It is also good if you don't want a lot to eat as it sells light meals.Also Adams at the top of hill nice food and good price ,the chinese restaurant next door to Adams was good too.
Really depends on the type of dining you want to do - at the top end of the market the good places are probably ones you'll remember from 2 yrs ago: Olive Garden, Sofra, Aubergine plus a new one: Gironda (next door but one to Just Silver). Down to the left of the harbour Korsan are taking over - but no bad thing - and many of the places here have been tidied up: Avalon, Sunset, Korsan Marina...

It's difficult to find a bad restaurant in Kalkan - or perhaps I've just been picking well! If you're staying in a villa - check out recommendations from the previous guests - I'm sure there will be a visitors book or similar to mull over & help you decide
I'm going to Kalkan next March and I have a threefold problem - male, alone, apartment, vegetarian. Erm, sorry, that seems to be four!
Any suggestions for vegetarian eating places?
I don't want to preach, but in case you are not sure, vegetarian means nothing from a dead animal (in my case). Cheese, eggs, milk, all fine.
But NOT fish, chicken, or similar. Strictly speaking, that includes things like gelatine or cochineal, but it is sometimes difficult enough in UK!

So, vegetarian restaurants?

Ta,
MRmoonlight
Mr Moonlight,
we have the same situation and after trying several reataurants with samish menus found "Tailors restaurant".
This is not a veggie restaurant but the lady owner will cook you a veggie meal if you let her know the day before.
A word of warning, she will NOT cook things like egg and chips!
Its all very plain simple food.
If you haven't been to kalkan before this is were to find it.
From the main street with the post office on your left, walk down the road untill you come to a sharp right hand bend and Tailors is on the left of the bend, it's only about 4/5 tables in an alleyway.
Called Tailors because her husband makes shirts etc upstairs.
Feel free to pm me for more info and I think I have a pic somewhere that I can e-mai.
Having said all that most of the restaurants have veggie options on the menu.
hope this helps

del949l
Also try Ali's the lokanta or traditional turkish food which is mostly vegetarian. Another way around the problem of samish menus is to order a selection of the started, stuffed veggies, dips, salads etc. And most resturants do vegetable casseroles and if you can find aubergine kebab on the menu, go for it its unusual but delicious. Theres also the pancake shop just past the bus stop with a choice of fillings and do try the pide - just ask for a meat free one.

And as Del4 has advised, once you ask for vegetarian food, most resturants will go out of their way to make sure you are catered for
new to this please excuse any errors!!!! off to kalkan sunday 11/9 first time to turkey any advice?i.e prices/places to go(nothing to cultural though) i'm just going to chill for two weeks
You must go on a boat trip. Just sunbathing, swimming, eating and drinking. What more could you want? If you feel more energetic, a trip to Saklikent Gorge is a good day out. There are loads of restaurants and I've yet to have a bad meal anywhere. My favourites include the Ilban, the Kosk, the Bosphorus and our old friend Adam's Place. If you go there you will be an old friend too! Where are you staying? We go back to Kalkan next Friday. ( My fourth time thisyear).
Hi Gaznic,

I agree with everyone's comments.

If you want to chill out, then Kalkan's the place for you. We returned last monday after a fabulous fortnight (our second time in Kalkan). Great restaurants, with so many to choose from (about 200 in all!). Our favourits were 'Kosk', 'IBO' (best steak in Kalan), 'Paprika', 'Old Badamya' - we were also treated to the card tricks! - 'The Alternative Restaurant', 'Bosphorus', above the Samira Hotel/Apts and 'Adam's', past the Samira on the right. These are to name but a few!

Book any excursions localy - much cheaper!
Take flat shoes, the hills are a nightmare, but good for working off the Efes/food.

Any questions PM (private message) me.

Chillout
hi kalkanite kalkan paradise last minute booking going with goldtrail !!! first holiday abroad since divorce 5 years ago.if you see a bloke with a geisha girl tattoed on his leg that's me! say hello
Now I'll spend my holiday looking at blokes' legs!
kalkanite, wait till you see them what a pair!!!!! they have held me up for 45 years!!!!! also thanks to chillout did not have access to a terminal to respond .
arrived back sunday night what can i say?nice resort,nice people and most important nice weather.would recomend kalkan as a resort to go to just the once will go to turkey next year but probably to a different resort.so once xmas is out of the way i will be scouring holiday truths for info . hope you get home safely kalkanite what about those legs though!!!!!! :lol:
Hoping to go to Kalkan in Aug 2006 with my wife and two children 13 & 11.
:)
Has anyone been there and what did they think :?:
If anybody has got any info on beaches and places to visit please can you let me know.
Many thanks
John
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.