Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Google Earth has been updated and now Olu Deniz and Hisaronu can be seen very clearly :D We're off to the Club Sun City 8 weeks today and I can see the pool and everything!
Hi All,

Just booked a D.I.Y holiday to the asena beach on 02/10 for 7nts HB for £295 which I think is an excellent deal!! :lol:

Read reviews on the hotel all seem fantastic, but was just wondering what Olu was like?? Been to Marmaris and went to Gumbet in May (both great hols) I know Olu Deniz is alot quieter so was just wondering if anyone had any good info on Olu?? Eating,who to book trips with, resort prices, weather in Oct etc etc!

Any info would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
8)
Hi everyone,

The hubby and I are looking to go to Olu Deniz for our summer hols; however, I'm a bit concerned that its going to be a but quiet for us. Don't get me wrong, we want some nightlife! We're in our late 20's and not really bothered about clubbing, but we do like plenty and pubs and restaurants to choose from!

Can anyone tell me whether this resort would be ok? I also like plenty of shops that I can visit too!

Also thinking of staying at the Flamingo Hotel; have looked in the Hotel Review section, but as it's fairly new (opened in 2006) there doesn't appear to be a review on it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Donna x 8)
Hi Donna
More bars and resturants than you could possibly visit in a fortnight, plenty of retail therapy (Hisonaru up the road if you need a livelier night now and then) and views to die for.
Lally
Hi, Never stayed at the Flamingo Hotel but it on the way out of Olu Deniz up the hill. It has been there for quite a few years. The web site is http://www.hotelflamingoclub.com it looks very nice. You would probaly have to catch a bus to the resort shops and beach as the hill is not a very good walk. Olu Deniz is lovely and my daughters and their husbands are about the same age as you and found it just right for them.
Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me on the snorkelling around Olu Deniz.

Ive never been to Olu Deniz before and are booked to go July/August.

Is it good snorkelling or do we have to find little hideaways around the coast line?

Is it viable to hire boats? If so how much are they. Im talking little dingys with a motor on not big super boats :)
Boats that would fit 5 people in and would be used purely for snorkelling.

Your help as always is much appreciated.

Martyn
Hi Donna. If you are going to need to catch the dolmus down to olu town it would be just as easy to go the other direction into Hisoranu so you will have the best of both. The stunning scenary, beach , shops, bars and resturants of olu . trust me you will get plenty of retail therapy. and livelier Hisoranu for the evening if you do need it. not sure how far up the hill the hotel is, you could probably walk down but it would definately be a struggle up especially in July/August.

lyn

martyn .i believe many people snorkel in the lagoon. Not sure if the main beach area would be suitable. Maybe somebody else could help there but there are plenty of boats to hire around Olu which you can do cheaply I believe to use with or without a guide. somebody is welcome to correct me here but i think the smallest you will get is a small motor boat type. :? Plenty of Scuba diving if you fancy giving it a go. :wink:
lyn you are dead right on all counts lou is a place to die for
Best places to eat and best places to drink in Oludeniz if you would be so kind please.
Hey all just wondering what your views are on Olu Deniz and the Blue Lagoon because next year me and my girlfriend will be going on holiday for the first time and were considering here.

So would like to here your views on:

-Dalaman Airport?
-Transport from there?
-The Blue lagoon?
-How good is it for learning water sports or diving?
-Are there any nice lounge bars/resteraunts?
-Are there many shops local?
-Is it overall a safe place to walk about at night?
-What's weather like in july?

Thanks all!
i forgot to mention in my pm , that its very safe to walk about, i always feel safer in turkey than in the uk and would walk about in turkey on my own at night but certainly wouldnt in the uk. the weather in july this year was about 40-50 when we were there so it was extremely hot, but it was exceptionally hot this summer, but it should still be around late 30's to 40's. i would get a private transfer as the coach can take twice the length of time with stops included, i think ive now answered all your questions. let me know if you need any more help
Dalaman Airport - Expensive food and drink, watch out for people trying to get money off you for loading luggage into trolleys etc.

-Transport from there - 45 mins from Dalaman to Olu Deniz, plenty of good transfer companies but shop around as some of the prices I've seen quoted on here are crazy! The company my mate uses for transporting guests to here villa charges around £12 per head each way.

-The Blue lagoon - Stunning, simply stunning. No more needs to be said.

-How good is it for learning water sports or diving - Sorry can't answer that but it seems very quiet so I imagine it would be good.

-Are there any nice lounge bars/restaurants - Yes, plenty.

-Are there many shops local - Didn't go into the town part of Olu but there are plenty in Hisaronu up the road so I'd be surprised if there weren't any in Olu as it's larger.

-Is it overall a safe place to walk about at night - Never heard of any problems.

-What's weather like in july? Hot! Expect high 30's to low 40's
Hi we are going to olu i a couple of weeks
we're gong to the montana pine resort hotel

Has anyone been there

if so tell us all about please

Thanks

luk3
Hi Mattb22,

I'm sure you'll love Oludeniz - it really is beautiful.

As far as Dalaman Airport is concerned, food and drink is very, very expensive there; but that's only something to bear in mind on your return journey. Trolleys cost £1 (in English money) - that's if you need one of course.

If you're not travelling with a tour company and you need to arrange your own transfer, an airport taxi will cost you approximately £30 - £35 to Oludeniz; I think that's also around the going rate for a private transfer. Timewise, a car from Dalaman to Oludeniz (going at a good speed) will take about 1 hour 10 minutes.

They do have a couple of diving schools in the area, and if you go into Fethiye Town to the harbour, you'll find a few different boats adverising various diving trips.

The best restaurants are in Fethiye Town - this is where you'll find the true Turkish restaurants. But Oludeniz (and Hisaronu) have some very nice ones too - although they are much more 'touristy'.

The Secret Garden, and the Olive Grove in Oludeniz are both very nice.

If you go up to Hisaronu the Oasis, Robin Hood, and the Olive Tree are all very good too.

Hope this helps. :)

Strawberry
Luk,

The Montana Pine is the best hotel in Hisaronu.

I have stayed there, and I can tell you it is absolutely beautiful.

The hotel itself, the scenery, the views, the food, staff.......it's just lovely. It will spoil you for anywhere else in Turkey.

Strawberry
We would also recommend the Secret Garden in Olu. Quite beautiful. :D
Hiya mattb22

Olu Deniz is lovely, now can I remember your questions, here goes.

Scuba diving is excellent, you can go with numerous dive schools for a try dive if you have never dived before, and if you have a non diving partner they can go on the boat as well. I know coz I am a non diving wife. I can recommend Divers Delight in Fethiye or European Dive Centre also in Fethiye. They will collect you from your hotel and take you to their office.

The lagoon is lovely but if you want to snorkel the area we went to last time (the free beach of Sun City) was unsuitable as the water was very murky and cloudy and it was like snorkelling through treacle.
And as regards safety, I would quite happily walk around OD of a night, but not my local town centre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.