Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
PEK
Port El Kantaoui

Roger
Port El Kantaoui is a fairly modern purpose-built resort about 20 km from Monastir airport and 8 km from Sousse. There is a large Marina with boats from all over the world, a couple of golf courses, good beaches and a lot of hotels. It is a very popular tourist destination.
After a bit of a disapointing holiday in Sousse a couple of years ago, we have decided to try PEK and have a week booked at the Royal Kenz.

I guess what put us off Sousse was the "hassle". We found it a tad too much and it got to the point where we thought twice about leaving the hotel - ok so we are wimps :) But of course it meant we didnt see anything of Tunisia :(
As we only have a week we dont want to do the two day Sahara trip (also hubby's back is still too bad to be sitting on a coach too long or camel riding/jeeps etc)so any reccomendations on what to do/where to go for half day/short day trips? Preferably ones we can do ourselves?

Is there public transport and is it easily negotiable without speaking Arabic or French? We have travelled around in Turkey a lot on our own using the bus system (which is excellent) and would love to do the same in Tunisia.

Although the week is for recharging the batteries, I do think Id be missing out if we spent it by the pool again so any recommendations and advice will be gratefully received :)
Many thanks
Suki
Hi Suki,

Off to Sousse myself tomorrow. I understand what you mean but I just love it and don't find it a problem. PEK is nice though and many people prefer it.

Taxis are very cheap though make sure you agree a price first or insist on the meter being put on. Louages, shared taxis, are excellent, though obviously you share them with the locals. These seat about 6 - 8 so if a group of you from the hotel get together you could get one to yourselves. You can also get from Sousse to Tunis and El Djem by train and Karaouan by bus. You may like to have a look at http://www/seat61.com/Tunisia.htm which gives you info on the trains, including a couple of timetables. Avoid the rush-hour on the metro if you can, it makes the London Underground look like a picnic. :lol:

I'm sure you will have a great holiday.
Thanks for the link - unfortunately it takes me to yahoo main page :?: :?: :(

Hubby is now getting more interested in seeing a bit of the country so hopefully I will get some ideas under my belt before we leave. We prefer to make our own travel arrangements as we prefer our hard earn money to go to the locals rather then line the holiday companies bank accounts :)
Have a great trip yourself

Suki
How very odd. I've actually got a print-out of the article in front of me and the site ref. is printed on the bottom. :shrug I've just tried it again and it says "The page cannot be displayed The page you are looking for is currently unavailable.---- " but as I'm not on broadband this does sometimes happen to me. :sulk The article starts off by telling you how to get to Tunisia by train and ship (which I don't think I would fancy) and then goes on to give other interesting bits and pieces about getting round Tunisia including train fares and a bit of a timetable. If I have time I'll try it again before I leave as I'm confused now, wondering what you found.
That was bugging me Suki. :x I couldn't go to bed without trying to sort it out so I have. :lol: I found it the way I did originally - put 'Tunisia - train travel' into Google and this is the first site listed. I've tried it again and it worked perfectly. As I had a print-out in front of me when I originally posted I put in the ref on the bottom of their page to save you time. Sorry dear, don't blame me, I'm not terribly computer literate so I still don't know why it didn't work that way. :hmmm

Night night, I'm finally off to bed. I'm all packed and have only got to wash the kitchen floor and feed the cat before leaving about 10.30 am. :wave
pek
i'm offto stay at pek in sept,can anyone tell me if there are any market's there or close by,and how is the best way to get into sousse for a day out from pek?
Taxis are plentiful and I'm sure there is a local bus service though I never used it. You can always take the tourist Noddy train to Sousse - not really a train but a vehicle with open carriages attached. It runs from the arch at the entrance to the marina in PEK to the beach road in Sousse. From there it is straight up a busy shopping street to the medina where you can haggle to your hearts content. For the feint hearted there is also a fixed price shop - the Soula Centre at the entrance to the medina.
Caro
Hi all, going to Tunisia for the first time. Planning to stay at The Kanta Hotel in P.E.K. Going as a family, 2 adults and 2 children was looking for some info regarding the resort, nightlife,eating out etc.... Would be grateful for any info, thanking you in advance. Haddy. :)
Thanks for posting my message in the P.E.K forum for "First Time To Tunisia". was not aware i should have put it under P.E.K. :o
  • Edited by Haddy3 2006-07-06 21:29:23
Hi Haddy 3. If you look further down the Tunisian forum for "please help, Which resort/hotel then it has lots of questions and answers regarding P.E.K and hotel Kanta and surroundings. I also have posted replies on this reagrding P.E.K :wink:
Hi deb 2, thanks a million for the info, i'm very grateful for it :D Still learning :oops:
Hi, thats ok. It does get abit confusing at times as to where to post your questions, but i'm sure someone will let us know when we post something in the wrong forum. They are all very helpful on all these forums :D
Hi, it`s nearly 7 years since we were in Tunisia, but I remember PEK with great pleasure. I know it isn`t a particularly traditional Tunisian village/town, but after Sousse and Monastir it was lovely to be able to wander around and look at things without being hassled all the time, andin Sousse I MEAN HASSLED! It got to a stage where I dreaded going anywhere near a shop or stall, at times it was quite unpleasant and sometimes quite frightening. PEK was a different kettle of fish entirely. We wandered around the shops, walked around the harbour, walked along the harbour wall, all without being pestered once, it was so relaxing and very very pleasant.
We stayed in Skanes, and took a taxi from opposite our hotel, price agreed first, £4 at the time, then coming back we took the Noddy train from PEK into Sousse, sometimes a bit bumpy but plenty of fresh air and cost very little, then took a taxi from Sousse back to our hotel. We did the trip to PEK 3 times, to the point where we wished that we were actually staying there.
Hi deb 2,would it be ok to send you a pm? Was looking for some info regarding 2 hotels in P.E.K. :wink:
Haddy 3, yes thats fine. You didn't need to ask, but thanks anyway :!:
Last year stayed in Sousse and did the 2 day trip to sahara, El Jem, Carthage and other sites and day trip to Tunis and museums.This year beginning sept, AI at hotel Soviva PEK. We (me and 2 boys age 14, 9) did visit last year and I said I wouldn't go back after all the hasstle near the marina to buy a boat trip-so yes I'm eating my words now we are there for 2wks! Anyway having lived in Greece for a very long time I am use to all the tricks to get you to buy something, I would love to go a good boat trip and view other things, something that is gives quality. As an artist EVERYTHING as its beauty to me so I'd be happy 'pottering' around corners with my camera! Has anyone been on the boat trips (there are so many of them) and which ones should I check out? What about other places to vivit thean the regular tourist attractions that we've already done?

Happy hols!
Lisa. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.