Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
In some ports if there are a number of cruise ships in at the same time the Emerald passengers do not get the taxis waiting for the as the Americans and others not used to the euro usually tip more. Some ports are easier to do by public transport.

Athens for example has a great metro system into the city. If its Dubrovnik then there is a local bus (can's remember what number) just outside the port area. Corfu - well there is a courtesy coach which takes you to the port entrance and its a fair walk into the old town. In Rhodes you stop right at the start of the old city and if you want to go to somewhere like Lindos there is a very good and very regular public bus service. In Santorini its always a tender port and you can get the funicular up to the town for about 4 euro but there are long queues coming back down as most ships are leaving at the same time. In Mykonos Thompson usually run a bus into the town (well the edge of the town).

In Zakynthos its another tender port and if you walk about half way along the port towards the church and go one street back there is the local bus station. It takes you to most parts of the island. Trieste and again you arrive in the middle of the town and if you want to go to the castle then its only a short taxi ride and there is a taxi rank just outside the main square. In Venice it is possible to walk to the vaporetto stop for number one vaporetto which takes you down the Grand Canal to St. Marks. However this particular trip in Venice is a bit of a rip off at 10 euro or so each when a three day vaporetto ticket is only about 35 euro each and you can use this out to the islands - Murano, Burano and the wonderful cemetery island of San Michele. Rovinj and again you are right in the town and the town and its bell tower are well worth exploring. Zadar I have not done. I usually take a trip in the Turkish ports but I have heard that taxi drivers will give a better deal on trips to Ephesus.

The best value on doing it alone is Athens. The metro is about 20 minutes walk outside the port area. Turn left when you get outside the building, walk until you come to a major junction and then turn right for about 5 minutes. If you type in Athens metro you will come on a really great site which shows photos of that junction. Then its 6 or 7 stops to the Plaka or Acropolis.

Have a fabulous cruise. I love the Emerald and unfortunately on this her last year with Thompson I have booked on the Calypso. Going in less than 2 weeks and can't wait. Even booked for next year. The Eastern Med is fabulous and you will have a great time.

Marie (mtek)
Regarding the guided tours from Thomson cruises , can anyone advise what i should roughly expect to pay for these organised excursions ??

would like to know before i book to see if affordable for me.

Also can Olbia in Sardina be done as a DIY in the same manner that Mahon can ???
Iain

You may get a better reponse if you post under a specific Thomson's ship such as the Destiny or the Celebration. You will find the topics further down the main page. This topic is for DIY excursions.

luci :wave
Courtesy of janer

For Florence you will dock in Livorno which is a very busy commercial port. For this reason you will need to catch the shuttle to the port gates. You can then get a bus to the train station and from there the same train will take you to Florence and Pisa for just a few euros. As long as you allow plenty of time for the return journey it will be fine. Florence is gorgeous , you will enjoy it !!

From Villefranche, it is even easier, turn right when you get off the ships tender, you will see the train station. The train goes along the coast, to Montecarlo one way, and to Nice and Cannes the other.
The Grand Prix was on the day we were there and we had a fantastic time. The train was very cheap and easy.

For Rome, you will dock in Civitavecchia. From the port gates, walk along a few hundred yards and you will see a sign on the left for the train station. For 9 euros you can travel to Rome and use the metro all day on the same ticket. Again , allow plenty of time. I think our ships excursion cost around £75 - 80 per person. We spent about 15 pounds for two people. If you want to visit the Vatican, get off the train at St Pietro , it will be easier to beat the crowds before the coaches from the ship arrive !
Regarding Rome, if you haven't pre-booked a Colosseum ticket, there is a new ticket office for the forum, which also serves the Colosseum and Palatine Hill. The forum entrance is tucked into the right about 150 yards beyond the Vittoria Emenuelle monument. Buying tickets here by-passes the queue at the Colosseum (which was almost 100 metres long on July 3rd at 2pm!!). It's important that EU citizens carry some form of ID which confirms their nationality, as EU citizens enjoy reduced rates (including free admission for under 18s and over 65s), but they are scrupulous in checking nationality.

Also in Barcelona, if you are staying post cruise, and would like to see your ship leave, the best voew of the harbour is at the military museum and castle on top of Montjuic. Take the grey cable cars from Teleferic de Montjuic on the Bus Turistic, there is also a metro station next door. We got some lovely pics of Island Escape sailing past Norwegian Gem on Sunday evening, and the views from the cable cars themselves are stunning. If you are limited to one day in Barcelona, you could do much worse then basing yourself in Montjuic for the day.

Finally, a personal observation, while the uphill walk to Park Guell is a little daunting, it is well worth it. However, those with mobility problems would be advised to take a taxi to the gate, and even then could have difficulty navigating the park itself. Again if you have one day in Barcelona, Montjuic is on the Bus Turistic blue route, while Park Guell is on the red route. Both are doable in a day, but if you want time to relax, perhaps concentrating on one would be the best policy. We used the bus on a Saturday and Sunday, and never had any difficulty boarding the next one that came along, getting upstairs seats for four on all but two occasions.

Again, the usual advice pertains, be aware of the time, and the need to be back to the ship comfortably before the all aboard.
Courtesy of Pestee

Ports of Call
Naples - walk from the port and you are in the town. Normally extremely busy with people and traffic however on our visit it was Bank Holiday and we had a leisurely stroll around the town (albeit all shops were closed)

Livorno - Shuttle bus from ship into Livorno town centre. Purchased our tickets from a tobacconists. Got a bus from Livorno R1 to the train station and then train to Pisa. Again another bus (Rosso/Red line) is required outside the station into Pisa town centre (too far to walk). Much cheaper to do than organised excursions and very easy to do.

Rome - Shuttle bus from ship into Civitavecchia. Walk up the promenade with shops on the left and the water to the right about 10 mins walk to train station. Train 9 euro return. If going to the Vatican get off at San Pietro (you will see the dome on your left as you come into the station) otherwise train into Rome goes around the town and takes a further 25 mins. Again much much cheaper than excursion and very easy to do.

Katakolon - Walk from the ship into the town centre which is very small with shops café/bars on sea front. 20 mins walking to the beach.

Athens - You will be met at the port by taxi drivers however getting the train to the Acropolis is very easy to do and cheaper. Walk out of the port and keep to the left walk with the port on the left hand side and continue around the horseshoe bay. The first bridge that crosses the road takes you to the metro station. Tickets 80 cents return.

Izmir - Walk from ship and taxi will be waiting for you outside gates. $10 into town centre ask for Kemeralti market. Loads of bargains can be found here. Very busy and big town centre.

Istantbul - You need shuttle bus from the ship which will take you into the centre. Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar and other historical interests all in the same area. Ferries from Istanbul west to Instanbul east easy to do and you see lots of the city however you do need Turkish lira to purchase tickets (1Lira 40 each way).

Marmaris - Taxi needed from the ship into Marmaris too far and too hot to walk ($10 one way). Nice beach with loads to do. Would recommend having flip flops for getting into water as quite stony. Loads of tourist and jewellery shops.

luci :wave
Hi we are shortly going on the Thomson Spirit, Moorish Delights.
Itinerary is Palma, Casablanca, Ceuta, Gibraltar, Almeria, Valencia back to Palma
We need ideas for Diy trips please.
We would like to see the apes in Gibraltar/cable car but not sure what to try from the other ports? Have heard Casablanca is pretty bad!
In Almeria there is a castle overlooking the town which is worth a trek up to.....just follow your nose and you will find it, closed on a Monday though and not worth the climb unless you get into the grounds etc. Other than that the only thing to do there is stroll along the Prom to the right, but not that great unless the sun is shining! You can do tours to Malaga and Granada from Almeria. To be honest, Almeria looks a bit run down.

Gibraltar it is easy to take the cable car as a DIY trip to see the apes, although get there smartly to beat the queues. You simply walk up the High Street, and you will see the cable car at the top end about a hundred yards after you are out of all the jeweller, booze and cigarette shops!!

Unless you are fairly easily intimidated Casablanca is fine. What no-one will tell you is that it is possible, and quite easy (we did it on the way back) to walk from the main port gates into the town. You will be harassed both at the ship, and along the way by taxis insisting they take you to the beautiful this and that (you could end up at their Auntie's carpet shop etc.). After a couple of hours there you will want back to the ship. If you cannot cope with aggressive harassment, either stay on ship or book a ship tour.

Ceuta & Valencia never been to.
we went on the thomson spirit in may 2008 round the med for two weeks:-

i got maps and loads of info about each port before we went and took it all with us.

palma majorca - made our own way around on foot.
trapani - made our own way around on foot, not much there, wished we'd done an excursion of some sort.
naples - did the thomson excursion to pompei very good then had a walk around naples and braved the traffic! wanted to go to sorrento too - wished we had as others said it's wonderful.
ajaccio - did the little train - lovely place
barcelona - great place. can't wait to go back. we jumped on the bus that you can hop on/hop off - very good value for money and well worth it.
toulon - got the little train and did a bit on foot, really nice.
villefranche - we did the little train around the place then caught the train to monte carlo and walked around there on foot. good day. much cheaper than thomson excursion too!
mahon - small place but loveey. walked around then got the little boat around the coast.
civitavecchia (for rome) - we did the most expensive thomson excursion on the roma express it was fabulous!
livorno (for florence) - thomson excursion to florence and pisa with full guides. very good.
olbia - not much there at all. looked around on foot, should have probably done an excursion of some sort????

a wonderful cruise all in all.
We've booked the Adriatic Explorer with Thomson's, departing July. Any tips on the ports of call (Venice, Kotor, Split, Koper, Dubrovnik) would be appreciated. Early days. I know, but nothing like planning ahead!
Kotor is beautiful! A sort of Dubrovnik in miniature, in a fjord in the med! You will probably dock very close to the main town gate in the walls. There was a tourist information office right outide there. Lots of people were very energetic and hiked up to the fort on the hilltop for the stunning views. We just enjoyed walking round the town, traffic free, lots of lovely architecture, shops, cafes etc. You certainly want to be on deck for the sailaway through the wonderful scenery.
kate
i would appreciate any info on the following if poss please:-
la palmas - gran canaria
agadir - morroco
santa de la cruz - la palma
santa cruz - tenerife
funchal - madeira
arrecife - lanzarote

(it's the thomson colourful coasts cruise)
thanks in advance
Suzanne wrote:
i would appreciate any info on the following if poss please:-
la palmas - gran canaria
agadir - morroco
santa de la cruz - la palma
santa cruz - tenerife
funchal - madeira
arrecife - lanzarote

(it's the thomson colourful coasts cruise)
thanks in advance

We did that precise cruise a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it very much.

La palmas is a fairly large cosmopolitan town, and well worth exploring on foot or open-top bus etc.
Agadir - treat as a "day at sea" and stay on board.....unless intimidation by aggressive locals does not faze you!
Santa de la Cruz is a small, scenic town...we simply walked around for a bit and then sat down at a pavement bar and enjoyed the sunshine for an hour or so. It was a Sunday and very quiet.
Santa Cruz...not pretty by any stretch of the imagination. Best thing to do is get a tour or go yourself to Puerto De LA Cruz, a scenic, and popular seaside resort. You can go to Play De Las aAmericas, which is a much more lively resort but a good hour away by coach.
Funchal...we went on the chairlift to the top of the hill, well worth exploring up there for a little time, and then back into Funchal itself...open-top bus there, but small enough town to wander around on foot, and very pleasant.
Arrecife, no idea about that town because we took a ship tour.
thanks for that. i've found the excursions booklet on the internet. we were thinking of doing quite a few as we're doing the cruise twice. any recommendations? we were thinking of doing the morrocan experience and/or the camel treking when at agadir???????
Hi dangerman

I went on this cruise last May 2008 but this year the ports of call are a bit different.Search for my previous report of last years trips as some places are the same,eg Dubrovnik, Venice & Cofu Town.

I am going on the same cruise but in May 2009, taking hubby this time.I will write on my return to give you some info about the trips we do in the ports of call.Only 15 weeks to go..........

old flopsy
We are on the Thomson Celebration Eastern Voyage leaving on 17 April.

I can find information about DIY shore excursions to several of the destinations, but very little for Las Palmas, Santa Cruz de la Palma, Funchal, Toulon, Messina, and Zante.

What we are most intersted in is whether you can walk from where the ship docks into town at the above places, and how easy it is to do DIY shore excursions.

Paul and Sheila
We have DIY'd all of these, with the exception of Zante, and they are easily walkable and explored.
We are doing the 'Hellenic Treasures' on the 18th May. We also like to do DIY excursions, where possible. Can anyone offer any advice on the following destinations, please?

Thessaloniki
Katakalon
Rethymnon
Thira (Santorini)
Piraeus (for Athens)
Skiathos Town (Skiathos)
We've just come back from doing Thomson's Colourful Coasts. Destination Services on the Celebration were helpful and put out maps etc the night before. The weather was mainly good to us.
NB: We did the itinerary twice (2 week holiday) 27th March onwards.

Day 1 Santa Cruz in Tenerife - Didn't see it.
Day 2 Las Palmas in Gran Canaria - Had a walk around along the beach and in town, very pleasant. We were knackered so didn't bother with it too much.
Day 3 Santa Cruz De La Palma in La Palma - Very quiet as it's Sunday. Had a walk along front then into town, the ship at the end marks the end of the town. Very pleasant.
Day 4 Funchal in Madeira - LOVED IT! We did the open top bus tour from town then had a little walk along the front.
Day 5 At sea
Day 6 Agadir in Morroco - We did a Thomson tour ; Souks and Fantasia. Fairly good show. Had a bad time at the Kasbat (message me if you want to know what happened - non-judgmentally please as i know morroco generally is very controversial). Didn't like the Souk. Sorry! Poor value for money, we mildly complained to Thomson.
Day 7 Arecife in Lanzarote - We did the Thomson "fire mountain" tour to Timanfaya and wine tasting afterwards - excellent all round.
Day 8 Santa Cruz in Tenerife - We did the "Loro Parque" tour wtih Thomson - excellent half day trip. Popped into Santa Cruz aftewards - just shops really but pleasant enough. Back on ship for 11pm for sailaway party!
Day 9 Las Palmas in Gran Canaria - did the open top bus tour which was good. then walk along beach in sun.
Day 10 Santa Cruz De La Palma in La Palma - Did the Thomson "nature walk" tour very good. Visit to banana plantation and rum tasting too.
Day 11 Funchal in Madeira - Got the return journey cable car to Monte then went to Tropical Gardens too. Nice afternoon.
Day 12 At sea
Day 13 Agadir in Morroco - We did a Thomson tour ; "Agadir Orientation" quite good. Walk along beachfront but it's a bit dirty. Got bothered a little around the taxi and bars area. Have to pay "locals" to use the public loo. Got out at a mosque to take pictures. Didn't get off at the Kasbat.
Day 14 Lanzarote - We did the Thomson tour to Costa Teguise and loved it.
Day 15 home time! :-(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.