Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
DJERBA Q&A's
8 Posts
I've been to Djerba a couple of times, in May and June, though the last time was about 5 years ago so expect there have been a few changes.

One thing to note with the weather, is that the island is very flat, so when it's windy it's seriously windy. During hot days this can be a relief but it can make evenings a bit nippy so it's worth having a cardy / light jacket to throw over. I don't generally swim in the sea but seem to remember that plenty of people did, so expect it's generally fine at that time of year. August will be extremely busy and the beaches crowded, as in addition to the European package tourists, there's likely to be several Libyans and Tunisians as this is their holiday month. It's also the traditional wedding month in Tunisia and Djerba is very popular with Tunisians for their honeymoon.

Hotels - something to suit everyone from what I could tell. There are a few small boutiquey style hotels and numerous large package holiday types. I've stayed at the Palm Azur, Abou Nawas Djerba and the Sofitel Palm Beach. By far the best (and most expensive - I was lucky to find an exceptionally good deal) was the Sofitel. That said the Palm Azur has recently been taken over by the Riu chain and has had / is having several changes made.

Food - generally not as good as on the mainland. I was told this had something to do with everything having to be imported from the mainland, but I find this a bit odd as it's not particularly isolated. That said we did find plenty of decent food as well, so this isn't a big issue.

Places to see - Djerba is mainly a resort destination, but if you want to go out and explore there are some worthwhile places to visit:
El Ghriba synagogue - you'll be given something to cover your head when you go in, and if I remember correctly you'll have to take your shoes off too, but definitely worth a visit.

El Fadloune mosque -there are plenty of mosques on the island, built in the traditional Djerban whitewashed style, but this one is no longer in use, so non-Muslims can have a wander around inside.

Houmt Souk - the main town on the island. There's a museum and also markets to wander round.

Guellala - famous for pottery and you should be able to get a tour of a pottery workshop. There's also a museum in Guellala which has various tableaus depicting traditional Tunisian life, plus a display of traditional regional wedding dresses.

Shopping (among other traditional Tunisian things):
Jewellery - There's still a small Jewish community on Djerba, and there are several Jewish jewellery shops. So you may be able to find something that isnt typical in the rest of Tunisia.
Ceramics - especially magic camels and octopus jars.
Real sponges

Getting off Djerba - you'll be well placed here for visiting the south of Tunisia. There will be several excursions available. If you want to DIY there's a road link from El Kantaara and a ferry (foot and car) from Ajim to Jorf.

Hope this is of some help. :)
many thanks. That's great information
Hi, We stayed in Djerba 3 years ago and are looking to return this June. We stayed at the Djerba Beach hotel which is a small all inclusive hotel. It was lovely and beautifully maintained. We found the food to be good though if I remember correctly there were few tables outside for those who wish to dine al fresco. Needless to say English are very much in the minority there.

Djerba is generally quieter than Tunisian mainland. It also seems less green and lush than places like Hammamet.

In addition to the places mentioned by Sunstruck there is an interesting crocodile farm next to a museum and reconstructions of old dwellings.
THANK YOU. we will keep it in mind but don't know how the "troubles" might affect our judgement.
have stayed on Djerba few times and have always found it 10 years behind mainland (which appeals to me) english are very much in the minority as is the language (even most hotel staff).

Have always found it to be that bit more expensive to get to but cheaper once your there than the mainland if that makes sense. :think

top.tip They have some massive jewish festivals so check the dates you want to travel
when the breeze blows it BLOWS
thank you. planning is at early stage so we can take all these things into consideration.
hi people until yesterday afternoon i had never heard of this place but on 20 august i go for two weeks. staying at el mouradi djerba menzel. anyone else never heard of it either or has anyone stayed there.regards donny
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.