Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Am looking to go to Djerba end of June/first week of July. Couple of questions.

1. Is it laid back as it states in guide books and brouchures?

2. If going all inclusive are there local versions of Gin and rum or are we limited to drinking Buka and Thimarine?
hi tigerlily, thanks for your feedback found it helpful.i've been waiting for clairabella to return with some feedback but no sign yet..... :roll: we are going to the melia djerba menzel in mid june and information is limited only reviews i have read have not been too favourable... :!: suppose im a little worried because we went to egypt last year and it was fantastic but my husband got really ill(still loved it though) and im worried that this may be a little bit of a letdown in comparison.....im a good traveller and just accept anywhere as wonderful but have read some pretty negetive reports about this hotel and the beach.....(trip advisor review by visitor described it as nightmare hotel from hell :!: :!: :!: :shock: so clairabella if you are about please please feedback....thanks
Hi some advice please, my friend as booked a holiday today to either the miramar or miramar palace, they will be allocated one or the other on arrival, they want a chilling out place so that seems fine, the problem is they do like to have a drink on the balcony at night, they have been told they can buy alcohol in the supermarkets, i have just looked at a previous post that says you can't, any info on this appreciated, and hotel reviews, also do they need any injections for tunisia

Thanks Rosie
Thanks Briar, just checked it out

Rosie
hello....
is there any sign of any feedback from clairabella yet about the melia djerba menzel hotel???
there are some really negetive reports on trip advisor about it so if there are any good reviews i would appreciate seeing them at this stage as we are due to go in june!!!!!! :shock:
thanks loads and please feedback after your holidays as it is sooooo helpful
bye for now
taffycat........knew we should have gone back to egypt.........
only kidding.... :D
hi you were visiting Melia Djerba Menzle in June, we are booked to go in august seriously worried as taking 2 teenagers, looks like it could be bad move, how did you find it, any tips?
hi hav'nt been yet we go this saturday for 2 weeks so will feedback then. there are some better reviews coming out of trip advisor though so you may want to read them
taffycat
Help am going to Melia Djerba Menzel hotel in a couple of weeks and have read relly poor reviews. Has anyone had a good experience?
Keeping my fingers crossed!
Thanks
Hi

I visited Djerba for 2 days in October 2006. This is the 2nd time I've travelled to Djerba but this time it was a spontaneous decision, so I decided to take the cheap option and travel by louage from Sousse instead of plane.

From sousse I took a louage to Gabes, Gabes is where you travel by louage if you want to visit anywhere towards the south of Tunisia. This cost 12TD500, this part of the journey took about 4 hours. From Gabes to Djerba cost 6TND500 and took about 3 hours. Once at the crossing all cars get on a ferry which takes you across to Djerba taking about 30 mins. It's a long wait on the road to the ferry because many people are travelling to and fro from the island.

Once on Djerba, the police check all identification of those entering the island so ensure that you have your passport handy. The louage takes you to Houmt Souk where you can then get a taxi to another area.

My friend came to meet me at Houmt Souk and then took me to an apartment in Midoun which is about 5km and cost approx 6TND. The apartment was not to a good standard, too far from the road and once out of the apartment my trainers were full of sand. Also pitch black around the apartment, 10 minutes walk to the road and no shops around. I didn't find the apartment clean, I paid 40TND and then left in the morning. I slept in my clothes.. not a good start.

So the next day, I travel to Midoun centre. Walk around the bazaar, have a look at the shops. Sit in a restaurant, but a few trinkets. I meet a guy called Ridha and we talk for a few hours in his shop. I buy a chain made by the berber people, then he invites me for a mint tea at his house. We drink tea and I dance to music before saying goodbye as I must find a hotel. Ridha stops a taxi and tells him to take me to Sidi Mansour hotel. This is a 4 star hotel in Midoun, Djerba and very nice. I get there, pay 73TND for B&B, 1 night. First thing I do is run a bath and relax. So nice to be in luxury after the dump of an apartment.

After I change, I take a taxi to Houmt Souk and eat in a restaurant, fish of the day with fries and salad for 9TND. Then I walk around Houmt Souk, looking at the market place. I buy a chain from a guy and in a shop then sit down and drink mint tea for an hour chatting. Then I leave and meet another guy called Amin. He takes me to a government carpet shop. I'm lucky to catch this place open as it's a certified government shop, all funds go directly to the Tunisian government and carpets have authentic stamps of approval. I sit for a while just looking at the rugs and carpets, I'm not pressured to buy anything and enjoy more mint tea (Tea number 4). After I see a lovely cashmere rug and they offer me a deal of under £500 payable in 3 instalments, so I agree, after walking, dancing and lying down on my rug to be :lol:

After I go with Amin to see a fort by the sea, also I want to visit the Museum of traditional clothing in Houmt Souk but it's closed for repairs. I walk around the marina where the boats are, it's very tranquil and quiet.

After, we go to a restaurant where I eat cous cous with fish. Visit a bar, then go back to my hotel.

The next day I wake up and have to leave for Sousse. The return journey was a louage from Djerba to Sfax taking about 5 hours (11TND700), then a louage from Sfax to Sousse 7TND taking about 2 hours.

Djerba is nice, it's more laid back than mainland Tunisia. The people are nice and friendly. The beaches are lovely and there are palm trees everywhere. Djerba is more expensive than the mainland. Life is more low-key on this island and the hotels cater for everything as there is hardly any night life outisde of the hotel. I wish I could've stayed longer as I made new friends and never got to go to a disco or see some historical sites. Djerba is very good for children, especially those with very young children as it is very peaceful and laid back.

The weather was very nice, high 20's and no rain.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.