Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Still awaiting on photos, however he has said not to worry as he passes it several times a day and there has been major progress and it should be ready very soon.
A phone call today from Jet2 tells me the only work that is now ongoing at the Dolmen Resort Hotel is on an underground car park....

I shall await the outcome of that with relish :-o
Well, surprise surprise - NOT!

A phone call about half an hour ago from Jet2Holidays to tell us that due to the ongoing building work at the Dolmen Resort Hotel, they don't feel it is safe to send us there and we're being switched to the Seashells Resort at Suncrest....
Are you happy with that hotel?
We really don't have much choice Fiona, to be perfectly honest.....

We have friends who have booked to come over to see us especially from Cyprus who because they couldn't get in the same hotel, have booked the Santana because it was close to where we would be.

I asked if Jet2 had rooms available there but nothing doing, nothing in the San Antonio or Qawra Palace either.

We did look at Seashells initially, mainly because it was by the seafront and not a hotel that my parents have stayed at together. But decided on the Dolmen mainly for its' proximity to the bus station and the shops/cafes etc.

However, we've been left until just a few days before we fly and of course, I realise that as we only booked 3 weeks before we were due to travel we will have been one of the last to have been contacted of the change by Jet2.

The only other hotel was in Sliema and that's not an option for us at all - not just because we have friends coming but my Mum always says it's too busy a place for her and that she would never choose to stay in Sliema.
Hopefully you will still have a good time. It's just frustrating they didn't pick up on the delay before now.
They only started looking at it when I contacted them....
According to them, their office was only aware the resort was closed over winter from November until March. However, the hotel have said in other places on the internet that all tour operators were informed of the building work some time ago.
We waited 5 days for Jet2Holidays "resort office" to get back to them to say the work was to be fully completed by 5th March when the hotel was to reopen (pushed back from 1st March). At the same time, I was also assured that the "only work" which was continuing at the hotel was the construction of an underground car park.
I had already requested their previous assurance in writing that the hotel work was finished - it never materialised. All I got was an email from one of their pre-travel team confirming our conversation about the car park.
I knew they were lying all along..... but, we shall certainly pass by hotel ourselves and I will be going with my camera!
I don't really know anything about the Seashells Resort, other than its' location but there's little we can do about it now.
I had a look at the website of the dolmen and it did look as though they were not taking their own bookings before April.
No, they've been showing rooms available from 11 March - and I have that indication from them directly in writing, on an email when they told me the hotel was full until then! :(
Hi Cyprus so sorry to hear about your dad.

Please let us know on your return how your trip went.

Hugs for you & your mam xx
As an update from the resort - the Dolmen Resort Hotel is an absolute bomb site..... our friends took a look around the Reception on Wednesday morning when the weather was very windy here and the place was thick inside with dust from the ongoing work.

I couldn't believe how bad the whole place is (from the outside) as we passed by on our Jet2Holidays transfer coach on Thursday. How they have managed to not see this ongoing work they claim they were unaware of is just total rubbish - they drop their own guests off right outside it and drive past it when they deliver them to the db San Antonio Hotel. Those guests are on All Inclusive so they have a fairly large allocation of rooms there.....

Luckily, the Seashells is fine by us for the room allocations and the breakfast. Unfortunately, my Mum went flying and fell down the step at the entrance of the Cheeky Monkey bar across the road as soon as we left the hotel to meet up with our Cyprus friends within the first hour of our arrival.

The step is not highlighted and it's a good 5 to 6 inch step. The staff came to help pick her up and gave her a glass of water but no notes taken of who she was, no accident recorded either. The bar is part of the Seashells Resort so we shall be reporting it to them and also to our Rep (when we see them) just in case there's anything comes to light when we're back in UK. She's banged her hip and her neck was very stiff after it happened but luckily, we think she struck the back of her head on the soft cushion top of a tall bar stool. Had it not been for that, she would have smashed her head into the marble topped bar!

It shook her up quite badly (my Mum is 76yrs of age, although she doesn't look it) and I think this is why they didn't really react very much to the accident.
It might be worth also getting a check up- just to be on the safe side. What a beginning to the holiday :(
Oh no! Sounds as though you mam was lucky the bar stool was there! Take photos of the step just in case.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.