Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Donny,

1. Which area are you staying in?.
2. Which resort.?

Not being nosy but it does make a difference if its pesos or $US

You are correct that you need $US for your Tourist Card (entry ) $US10 per person and Departure Tax $US20 per person.

Angie.
Donny

Just seen your other posting where you are staying so now the answer to your question $US or Pesos. It is definately pesos, you will find items for sale in with the $US price tag on but just ask the shopkeepers that you want to pay in pesos, there is no problem with this.....you will get a far better deal paying in pesos.......just a side note.....if you were to pay in $US you would get the change in pesos thus leading to a bad deal through the exchange rate being rounded up to suit their exchange.

Tips are better for the staff in pesos as they cannot spend $US in the shops that they use for their shopping, so they would have the inconvience of having to go and change the$US to pesos and then loose money on the exchange.

Angie.
HI Angie,
is the peso widely accepted in Bayahibe or wil we need dollars. Also, when we last went to Dom Rep we purchased our tourist cards before going and am wondering whether or not to do the same this year. Does it really save a lot of time?
Thanks
shirley h,

The pesos is widely used in Bayahibe and its far better to use for us brits with it being a better exchange rate £ to pesos than the £ to $

Dont bother getting your Tourist Card before hand buy it at the airport, it is not going to save you anymore time, you will still be waiting for your luggage to appear.

Angie. :)
Thanks Angie, will take your advice on both counts ;)
Hi Angie,
I have been reading through all the DR stuff as we are off to Iberostar Costa Dorada in a few weeks and I'm still a bit confused re dollars or pesos (I know dollars for exit and entry) but I noticed you said it may depend on what hotel you are going to - what do you think Angie? By the way, I think you should write a guide to the DR - your knowledge is amazing!
Hi Julie,

I stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada on our frequent visits to the Dom Rep.and its definately pesos. The ICD shop on resort does not accept $US anyway for payment. This is our second home now as I call it, lovely resort,clean with beautiful grounds, staff so friendly and helpful and cant do enough for their guests to make their stay just perfect.

As I mentioned in a post further up you will get better value with your pesos, if you ever see anything priced in $US just ask for the equivalent in pesos, the Dominicans are fine with you doing that,shops, bars,cafes and taxis, dont worry, ask them what it is in pesos.

Tip in pesos as I have already stated as well.

About my post asking which resort was Donny staying in, is because $US is slightly more prefered if staying in the East of the island in Punta Cana. That was why I asked about which resort. Thats all.!!!

Have you read my guide about entering and departing the Dom Rep if not I will post that too, cant remember where the post is now, but I will put it on this thread for you. If you want it.

Any questions just ask, I will help you.

Angie.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.