Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Hi There. I'm thinking that maybe THIS topic might be of some assistance to you.

I'm almost certain that there is a thread, or a post somewhere that gives very good directions from Alicante Airport into Benidorm, but I cannot find it. I'm hoping Sanji might be able to help you as I'm almost sure she posted an excellent link to a map somewhere......but then I may be thinking about something else, so apologies to Sanji in advance if I am confusing topics here.
You can take the N332 from the airport directly to Benidorm. Hire cars have their own section in the airport car park, when exiting the car park (onto the one way road), move over to the right and take the road signposted Alicante.....It goes past the construction of terminal 2 and merges with the N332.

Alternatively you can pick up the AP7 toll motorway signposted Valencia.

Both roads run paralell to eachother and it is very hard to get lost.

Your choice may be determined by the time (and month) that you are coming. The N332 is a nicer drive, in my opinion, but during the day in August the 45 minute journey will take longer.
Hi, thanks to both for your helpful replies. We are planning going in October with our young grandson,and really looking forward to it, having never been to Benidorm. :)
the current price on the toll road is 2.95 euros
Thanks- that's useful to know.
Since it's your first time, I would suggest following the AP7 (Blue) signs. Just head for Alicante/Benidorm/Valencia and you'll be fine. €2.95 is well worth it.

The N332 road is a nice drive, but when you first arrive you may just want to get to your accommodation and settle in. Plenty of time later for nice drives out.

HEREis a map of the airport.
That's very helpful, thankyou.
My advice would be to forget the N332 and use the motorway (AP-7). Don't follow signs that say Alicante because, believe me, your first experience of Spanish driving does not want to be a trip through Alicante city centre; done it and don't recommend it :D Follow signs for Valencia, they will lead you to the motorway. The first part (A70) is a sort of ring road round the back of Alicante for which there is no toll. Once you are past Alicante you have the choice of going off onto the N332 or staying on and joining the toll road part of the motorway (AP-7, recommended). You just take a ticket at the barriers and pay when you come off at Benidorm. I guarantee you will grab the gearstick trying to open the window as you approach the toll booths.
When you pick up your hire car it is very important to find the light switches, even in bright sunshine, because there are some tunnels in which you are supposed to turn on dipped headlights. Also make sure there is fuel in the car, because there are no filling stations between the airport and the motorway. There is apparently one on the airport but I don't know where it is.
Don't be pressurised by the taxi drivers on the Airport itself, take your time, it is not the most clearly marked road system in the world. Let the air conditioning kick in before you start, it makes for less stress!
If you are going to the Levante end of Benidorm you want to leave the motorway at junction 65 (not 65a), the toll booths are after the turn off. This road runs down to Avde Europa. On this road you will see several mysterious flashing amber traffic lights hanging off wires in the sky. As far as I know, they are simply to indicate that you are entering a built up area with speed restrictions (just in case you couldn't see the skyscrapers in front of you!) They don't mean stop, just slow down.
Great info Colin, many thanks.
Since posting the original question, I have now been told there is no point in hiring a car in Benidorm as there isn't much need for one. We usually like to get out and about on holiday, but my friend has said everything in and around Beni is easily accessible and a car would be wasted. Would you agree with this? (Staying at Sol Pelicanos/Orcas)
If you intend to stay in the resort, then no, a car isn't necessary. The parking is a nightmare too and you may find that your hotel charges for parking. For example the Ambassador charges €10 per day. I don't know about the Pelicanos/Ocas.

The bus service is good and you can get around quite cheaply using that. It covers the area from Finestrat to Altea most of the day and night and also goes to all the theme and water parks. It even goes to Guadalest during the week. Website here

There are some beautiful areas outside Benidorm to visit, but you can do that next time.
The Pelicanos/Ocas charge about €13 a day I think. :roll:

Sue :)
Thanks Pebbles / Sue. Looks like we will be re-thinking the carhire then :)
I think since you are only going for a week, and you have transfers laid on anyway, a car might be a bit of an unnecessary luxury. The reasons I usually get one are because I'd have to pay for taxis anyway and we go for a fortnight. There isn't much to do during the day that we haven't done already so it's nice to get out and about. It's only a few miles to Spain from Benidorm! :D
If you do decide to hire a car, dont pay hotel parking there is plenty of free parking space in the streets above the Regente hotel.I parked there all week in August last year.Never failed to find a space.Its a 10-15 minute walk from the Pelicanos.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.