Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi Puddleduck,

Are you sure that the total on your receipt is given in Dinars rather than Euros? The last time I was in Tunisia all the goods in Duty Free at Monistir were priced on the shelves in Euros which makes sense because they won't take Dinars in the Duty Free and my receipt was in Euros too. 122 Euros would be around £80 depending on the exchange rate your card issuer was using at the time they processed the transaction. It can be confusing I know but I suspect that you've not been ripped off as such because I think that this has probably been a legitimate transaction in Euros from the beginning but most of us wouldn't expect the prices to be quoted this way and you perhaps assumed that the price was in Dinars.

SM
Well spotted. :lol: All duty free in Monastir is priced in euros now, which is extremely annoying as I can convert dinars to £ but always have a problem with the euro. :roll:
Are the limits to take in or out per person regardless of age? EG. Can I count 200 cigs for each of my children then?
Your children have to be 17 to have a cigerette or alcohol allowence
Ah! Maybe that explains it SM!

We assumed the prices were in dinars as I didn't know you couldn't spend dinars in duty free but that would work out OK then if was euros.
Now you know why I wanted to check before I rang the company - I'd have been mortified! :? Thanks very much.
I bought Cigarttes from the duty free shop at Monastair and being a none smoker checked the allowance and was told 600 per person so I bought 1000 and luckily was not checked at the airport as earlier stated it is 200 per person. I paid 112Euros for 1000 which is £77 and roughly relates to about £1.80 per pack which i think is ver cheap
Can anyone tell me if they sell menthol ciggies (Berkley or similar) at Monastir Aiport, promised I'd get some for a friend.
Hi Linda,

I've just spotted your query. I don't smoke methol myself but the Royales they sell out there are very similar to Superkings which I smoke here. They do a menthol one - I know because they gave me some by mistake once and I had to take them back and change them. :roll: It's best to get them in the normal kiosks as the duty free doesn't always have them. They work out at about TDN 2,400 (about £1.20) a packet.
hi...iam totally new to this travelling thing.
goint to tunisia nov 2oth..
so what an I buy in m chester in duty free to take out & wot can I buy in moister to bring back..
sorry you probably gone over it a 1000000 times...but iam being a bit thick..hahahah cheers :roll: :oops: :shock:
Buy what you like to take into Tunisa (plane is usually cheaper for fags and drink) but coming home you are restricted to 200 fags and 1 litre of spirits
Well I came back with 400 fags no probs.

Duty free in Tunis airport was all good, I went a bit mad with perfume, YSL make-up and fags.

Then on the transition flight through Milan a stop in the Nike shop.

Wicked stuff :lol:
duty free shops let you buy what you like its the risk you take if you buy more than 200 cigs per adult travelling :)
Where's the thrill in life without a little risk factor :P
oh yes i agree iam a smoker myself and all ways come back with more than is allowed a lot more :lol:
Just got back from Tunis airport a couple of hours ago!! As usual I bought my Royales (TDN 2.450 - about £1.20) locally and packed them in my suitcase. I can never get Superkings out there, or on the plane, and I find Royales very similar.
I just got 200 cigs from the airport, but wondered why they sell packs of 400 when you can only take 200 home with you ?

Also we didn't have long in the airport and our plane was ready for boarding as soon as we had checked in. The duty free shop was packed and we only just had time to buy what we wanted.

BTW it cost a fortune for a Mars bar. £2 for something that would cost about 35p in England. Oh and all the duty free prices were in Euro's.
I just got 200 cigs from the airport, but wondered why they sell packs of 400 when you can only take 200 home with you ?

Because its not just British holidaymakers that go to Tunisia :)
Hi everyone, i hope you can help me out. i am going to Tunisia in February & i want to know if i can use My Visa Electron Debit card at Monastir Airport Duty Free Shop when i am coming home to buy cigarettes & vodka or do i have to pay by cash only can someone who knows about this contact me ASAP. Thanks i hope you can help.

Cheers
David
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.