Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
cigs in sharm
109 Posts
Hi

Im flying out to Sharm El Sheikh on Monday 4th July and just wondering the best place to buy perfume and booze ?? :hmmm

Is Sharm Airport any good or am I better of waiting til I get there?

Also how much cigs and alcohol can you bring back to the uk?

Cheers
Colleen
The Duty Free area at Sharm isn't very big. We didn't look at perfume but my hubbie did buy Cigs - I think he bought 800. We also bought a thousand each at Gatwick because Egypt is outside the EU and the lady I asked said "Take as many as you want" - which is good for me cos I spoke L&B Menthols - not many of those in Egypt!!

Have a great time - and be prepared to roast!
Regarding the number of cigs you are allowed to bring back, officially it's 200 each (although Mrs E and myself brought back 4000 between us the other week!) :oops:
How much were the cigs in Sharm?

So safer just to buy my perfume in Manchester airport b4 we go do u think?

Everest - What was the weather like last week? This is my first time going to Egypt and I think im going to fry! :oops:
Everest.... that was rather risky! Did you buy them in Egypt then? I got stopped in customs coming back from Tenerife where I was asked what I had duty free wise, told the guy just two bottles of spirits and 400 cigs between my husband and I, he said... ok, enjoy, I did have one or two over this...phew!!!
I'm a bit confused about the cigs situation :hmmm :smokin

I know I can only (legally!) bring back 200 cigs to the UK.

I smoke Superkings Blue and am not keen on any other brand so will look into buying these at Gatwick outbound, so is that right I'll be able to buy as many as I like and take them to Sharm?

Also (really dumb question alert!), if I've still got alot of the Gatwick cigs left when I return to the UK, can I bring these through customs if I've got more than 200? As I won't have bought them in Egypt will they still count towards my duty-free allowance?

Well that's confused me, how about the rest of you?! :hmmm :rofl
Hi Pippy

If you buy cigs in the uk then bring them back they are counted towards your duty free limit! :o

We were stopped on return from cyprus, argued with the customs officers, and sent letters of complaint to them and the airport, stating that they were purchased in the uk, I got no where. This should be highlighted in the airport, but this is of no concern to them as they only want to make money.
Thanks Cherish :D

I suspected that would be the case :roll:

Does anyone know the price of 200 cigs at Gatwick?
As mentioned the duty free shop at Sharm is not very large and everything is priced in US Dollars.

When we were there last week they said the credit/debit card machine was 'broken' and they were taking cash only-they weren't even ringing the sales up on the till just chucking the cash into a big drawer! :roll:

Colleen+Kenny, with regard to the weather it will be VERY hot at all times of the day (and night)-we took a photo of the digital themometer in the centre of Sharm at 8.30 at night and it was 39 degrees C! I think we only spotted one thin wispy white cloud all week.
God isn't it cold, just got back from Sharm last night - it was lovely and hot. Sharm airport is fine, bought L&M for my boys £3.50 a packet of 200, also for menthol lovers Karelia Slims at £5 for 200 are great, they cost 12le in the shops (1.20) Marlbour are £10 in Sharm shops and about £9.50 for 200 at the airport. Won't say how many we brought back only to say bought 800 on the plane

:smokin
Staying at the Hyatt Regency in Taba in a few weeks time and read that the on-site drinks are very expensive. Also read someone's tip to stock up at duty free on the way out and take your own.

Any idea whether there is a maximum that you can take with you, ie, do customs check on arrival at Taba? I'm not sure what the duty free limits are when travelling to a non-EU country.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Hi all,
Can anyone who has bought english cigs in Naama bay or in the airport confirm if they were 'real' only we got stung with fake fags in India last year and the prices in Egypt seem very cheap! Also, where is the best place to buy them?
hi anyone know if they sell menthol cigs or best to buy at airport on way out thanks :)
we just got back , when you are in namma you will see loads of shops with fags stacked up out side shop, we brougth a box of 200 fags marlboro ligths , it cost 850 ep which is £8.50 in our money it is cheaper to buy them there and bring them home . on plane 200 fags cost about £17 , the cigs are ok hope this helps pat happy holidays :D
Hi all Off to egypt 19 sept to luxor , anyone know duty free prices on MONARCH airlines ? wee-john . :?:
Can anyone tell me what the Duty Free allowance is??

Cheers

Derby Lass
Going out or coming back?

Going out it's basically unlimited.
But coming back you are very limited (as if we take any notice of that :wink: ) CLICK HERE
Cheers Everest!!

Bit disapointed :(
was hoping to get enough ciggies to see me though to new year!!
Might have to take my chance with C&E!! Suppose worse case they take them off me!! :lol:

Regards :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.