Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
can you take alchohol and cigarettes into Sharm el Shiek?

going on 9th Jan staying at the golden resort a/I

First time to Eygpt
we bought 200 cigarettes at Luxor Airport on the way home and after converting from dollars to pounds it cost £7.00. Pity I could not have bought more!!!!! Litre bottle of Jamesons whisky £9.00 bargain.
Does anybody know anything about the duty free shop in Sharm and why you have to visit in the first 48 hours?

Thanks
Currency................Should be declared on arrival
Tobacco.................200 cigarettes or 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco
Liquor....................1 litre of alcoholic beverage
Perfume.................Reasonable amount of perfume and 1 litre of eau de cologne
Cameras................No restrictions
Film.......................Reasonable for personal use
Agriculture items...Refer to consulate
Gifts.......................Up to a value of E£500
Prohibited items....Drugs, firearms and cotton; for a full list contact the egyptian state tourist office.
Note: All cash, travellers cheques, credit cards and gold over E£500 must be declared on arrival.
hi can anyone tell me if tobacco is widely available - hubby smokes old hoburn - and usually likes to stock up on the way home :D :D . I see that you are only "officially "allowed 200g each but will they sell you more if you want to take the chance at sharm duty free on the way home or shall we buy it in sharm over our holiday but there im confused about this get it in the first 2 days thing :? :?

lyn
Me too Lynwestie! What is this 2 day business with the duty free shop in Sharm.....do I have to do a trolley dash whilst in there?!!
Annie
Me too, whats it all about? Is it worth it if you just want to buy a few bottles of wine to take to resturants that aren't licenced or have on your balcony at night? (I'm sure I read somewhere that people took wine boxes from UK to sharm :shock:) . I'd rather just get a few bottles from this duty free shop if its easy to find and has a good selection at a good price.
Or is it really a shop for people who wish to buy lots of spirits and ciggies to bring back to the UK?
Why two days, is it a local law, something the Council lays down (do they have Councils?) :hmmm
Basically by the sounds of it, no duty free at the airport but they do have duty free shops in sharm.

Once you land you have 24-48 hours to attend the shop to buy cigs and booze on the cheap after that its down the supermarket.

I would assume when attending the duty free shop you will need your ticket stubs etc.

Never been to sharm but that sounds the most likely reason.

Regards

Peter
Thanks Peter
Makes sense, not sure if as I only want 3 or 4 bottles it will be worth my while. Especially as I will probably have trouble locating it. 8)
thanks Briar, very helpful as always :kiss

Somebody posted that after experimenting a bit they had found a drinkable egyptian white wine. This is what I will be trying to track down a few bottles of, but I am thinking that a supermarket will be my best for this anyway as I suppose a duty free will be full of International Brands. Still there will be no harm in having a quick look around.

When I've got more time later i'm going to search for the name of the wine. :D
Does anyone know how many fags you can take in to Egypt, we will be getting ours on the flight over so that we have enough for our stay be we don't know how many you are allowed to take in.

Also what age do you have to be to take them in our middle boy will be 16 when we go which in this country he would be old enough to but fags but what is the age limit in Egypt.

Any help would be great.

Ola
I wonder what kind of cigs you smoke. Rothmans (blue and red) are available from shops for 5.5LE (50 pence) and Malborough costs 7.5LE. I don't know about the other brands, but I don't think anyone could get DF cheaper than that.

Worth a thought!

WG
Hi, Im travelling to Hurghada for the first time in 2 weeks. Travelling with BA so no cheap cigarettes on the flight :( Is there a duty free shop to but fags on arrival at the airport? Or how much are they in the supermarkets / shop in resort? Never been to Egypt so dont know what to expect - normally smoke Marlboro Lights or L&M. Help appreciated!
There is a duty free shop on your left immediately as you leave the main airport building. Here in Luxor Malborough lights can be bought at anything form 80p for 20 upto 1.50p L&M lights can be bought for about 50p for 20. I'm told prices may be a little more expensive in Hurghada but no personal experience of buying them there.
When we were in hurghada last year, my husband bought 200 L&M for about £7, you can buy cigarettes on your way out of hughada airport too, not sure on the arrivals.
can you get lambert and butler over there and can you just go to the shops for some. would like to try them before i bring some home, can i buy them from a shop just before i come home
we only paid £3.50 for 200 L&M at the airport in Cairo and £5.00 in Sharm Naama bay!
Can you get duty free on arrival at Taba airport?
We will be leaving glasgow on the 17th of this month to Sharm. Due to all this trouble and not being able to buy duty free to take on the plane, i was just wondering if Sharm airport has duty free area i can get to when i arrive, stock up on my morgans and ciggies.

Keeping my fingers crossed that i can :lol:

Paul :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.