Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
DUTY FREE
109 Posts
if you want to get duty frees within 48 hours of landing you can go to the duty free shop in sharm. we bought ours on the plane on the way out and then bought cigs in the hotel to bring home and again at sharm aiport. there is no panic to go to the shop.
How much are 200 Cigs roughly? Does the price vary from the being on the plane to Sharm itself? So I know if it worth waiting till we get to a shop or just doing the same as you.
What is the duty free shop like at Sharm airport for perfume etc? All the usual stuff?
Don't know whether to buy on the way out or not?? :think
  • Edited by almond 2008-06-16 09:22:21
in sharm hotel i paid £13 for 200 bensons. at gatwick i paid £70 for 1000 bensons. and sharm airport they were either £12 or £13 per 200. not much in it really. remember that you are only supposed to bring back 200 each from egypt!! :)
Our neighbours wants us to buy rolling tobacco, how much each of that can i bring back, and can i also bring back perfume and spirits as well as tobacco? I only normally want to buy spirits and perfume, but cigs are on the list as well this year.

Thanks.
i think tobacco is 5 pouches each person but you can't have cigs on top, its one or the other. you can have perfume as well but there is a limit on the mls you can bring home. try a google search on duty free and should find the quantities listed.
i have just returned from 2 weeks in Sharm and I bought cigarettes in Naama Bay as they were much cheaper than the airports.

On the plane (First Choice) I think it was £14 for 200 Marlboro lights and approx £12-£14 in Manchester airport.
In Naama bay I got 200 for £6.20 after haggling from £8, plus I bought 1000 cigs in total (5 sleeves).

My advice is don't buy at the airports or on the plane, wait and go to Naama Bay if you are staying within reasonable travelling distance.

:cheers
I have heard they are blag cigs in egypt.Is this true?
The ones we have had and smoked have been OK so far.
Hi the street vendors and small shops tend to be fake. In the larger supermarkets and Baccrus that also sells alcohol you can buy 200 L n M for 55le - less than £5.50.
In the old terminal there is a small duty free that you can buy on arrival to the left as you come out of immigration - in the baggage hall.
Prices as of last week ( all in $ but just half to get approx cost ) were
L n M $9 for 200
B n H $20 for 200
Marlboro $20

Spirits Litre bottles

Gordons $20
Smirnoff Blue label $14
Teachers $21
Bells $18
Grouse $12
JD $30

Perfume tends to be dearer - Coco Chanel was nearly $100
Gatwick does a deal for 2 litre bottles of spirits for £15.
Hi
I'm going to sharm in september and i've heard that it's hard to find lambert and butler cigarettes over there. So was thinking of buying about a 1000 in the airport taking them over and then taking the risk of bringing them back to the UK.
Does anyone know if there is a limit of how many cigarettes you can take over there ane how much they are at the airport? I am flying from Bristol. Also do they usually accept credit/debit cards in duty free shops in the airport.
Is it best to buy perfume on the way out at uk airports and what sort of prices is it for perfume?
Thanks
Natalie.
last year at gatwick i paid £70 for 100 bensons. i think L&B were same price.not sure if there is a limit to take in but i did ask at the airport if i could take these and they said yes. not sure if they were right or just wanting me to buy.
this link will tell you what you can bring back.
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_010220&propertyType=document
cards were accepted fine at gatwick
Hi the legal limit to take into Egypt is 200 same as when you arrive back in UK. Perfume in Sharm airport was dearer than Superdrug / Boots. B n H and Marlboro 2 weeks ago at Sharm airport where $20 for 200. L n M are $9.
nana26
Is it cheaper dealing with dollars in sharm instead of UK Pounds sterling?

fiona
Are L & M Egyptian cigarettes? Been loads of times but only ever take Duty Free with me------------Tried Cleopatra once :yikes
Hi L&M are american you can buy 200 in the shops for £6 or you can by B&H for £14 for 200 as well as L&B. Ok they taste different but alot cheaper than duty free.
NANA26,
Is it cheaper to deal in dollars in Sharm, or pound sterling? E.G For buying ciggies, trips etc?
I'm very confused about the monetary side of things, and wonder if taking mixed Eygpt Pound/Sterling/Dollars
would be the best idea

Fiona
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.