Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
From memory I think there are two duty free shops. One is just up from the Hard Rock Cafe back towards the taxi rank and the Official duty free shop is further round. Only way to explain it is if you get the shopping centre in front of you and there is a road to the left and one to the right (pedestrian area), go down the pedestrian area, right to the bottom near some stairs to a hotel at the end, the duty free shop is near there. Some reps tell you that you must take your passport and buy it within 48 hours of landing in the country, I am not sure if this is the case. As regards the spirits in resort it does depend on what hotel you are in, I have stayed in the Concorde el Salem and the vodka was horrible, however in the Hilton Sharks Bay and Reef Oasis Beach resort it was fine. Not sure who told you that the non-branded drinks will give you tummy upsets, it's more to do with the air conditioning, not drinking enough water and the temperature. Nothing to do with what you eat. Don't take medicine from the UK it doesn't work, you can go to the pharmacy in resort and obtain the right medicine for a very cheap price. Where you staying?
In the hotel we go to we can choose whether we want branded or local. My OH always drank Heineken, and i drank Jack Daniels. Its the case you have to ask or you get local. I do not know whether all hotels do this though?
The Reps were right, you have to visit the Duty Free shop within 48 hours of landing and you must take your passport with you. Last year we went in our second week of the holiday and when the Duty Free shop checked the date of arrival in our passports they wouldn't serve us.

I would advise buying at the Airport or on the flight out to make sure you get the duty free that you want.

Hope this helps.
I wouldn't worry that the local spirits will upset your tummy. I think that's very unlikely. it's more to do with if you get a dodgy tray of food on the buffet, something that's been hanging about a bit and not kept hot enough or not cooked properly in the first instance. Just be vigilant with what you eat. I couldn't resist the last fresh cream merigue on a tray one lunch time even though I though I shouldn't be eating this, and an hour or so later I proved myself right. :yikes You can normally tell with buffets if the food has been freshly brought out or not, it looks different.

A lot of folk buy the two litres of spirit deal that you can get either at your UK airport or on the aircraft and just take that in with them. It's a good deal you get two bottles of branded for under 20 quid normally, then you can just add your own mixers. You get proper, (if thats the right word :rofl ) sprite, coke, tango, 7up etc so no worries there as it's all made under licence in Egypt.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.