Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Duty Free
13 Posts
Hi Sue.

strange as it may seem the advice on here is the same as on T/A the goverment Via HMRC dropped the indicative limits to 800 this is only the amount where you are liable to be stopped and questioned as to whether your cigarettes are for your own use or if you are trying to sell them commercially other than this there is no upper limit from another EEC country if in doubt take a copy of the letter from Bob Wales at hmrc with you this clearly states what the situation is .

Robbie :whoops :rofl
Hi Glynis.

tried to go to your link does'nt work but the letter I am refering to was as published by HMRC in their notice of their Reducing the minimum indicative levels for tobacco products, at the end of this notice it states if you need further advice to contact.

Bob Wales on 0161-827-0356 or to E/Mail him at bob.wales@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk .

Hope this helps to clarify .

Robbie.
Hi Sue

Very confusing now on the 800. It seems that it is unlimited on HMRC for personal use which ours will be. We are going on 21st May for our first trip of three this year. Will let everybody know how we get on.

Liz
Glynis's link works for me. It's a pdf document so you need Adobe Reader or similar to read it.

luci :wave
Hi, it works for me, just right click and open under new document. As some of you know I do regular free lance coach courier to Holland, France and Belgium. The 800 cigs are as stated a guideline instead of the original 3200, however you can bring as many back as you wish, but it is for you to convince UKBF they are for your own use, failure to do so will mean the whole lot being confiscated. Now if you care to google in "Nothing to declare" you will see there have been problems with over zealous customs in Bulgaria, if you read the page, you will find a letter in both English and Bulgarian to hand to customs.

Only last year our very missed Baldur was stopped at Varna with 16 sleeves in his case, he was called to customs (remember your cases are xrayed) to explain where did he get them, Baldur was able to converse in Bulgarian, had the offical receipt from shop, they(customs) opened 1 sleeve to check they had the banderelo on, when Baldur explained he was an ex policeman (rtd) he was given a tour of the case handling area and a lift out to the plane. So if you take the risk, remember its a long way to go back to appeal to try and claim your goods back. Hope all the above helps. Ive seen grown men cry at Dover when they have spent a grand to try and beat the system and lost the lot, sometimes the coach home, so more expense to add to your losses.
Hi Folks.

just figured out the problem opening link have now marked back of hands left & right. :whoops :whoops :whoops

Robbie yes that was the same letter. :bow
I think I will stick to the guidelines as bourgas airport are not to friendly
Hi Sue .

the customs at Bourgas were being a bit stroppy last year but taking a copy of HMRC guidelines with you should make things easier and also remember this is only a guideline not a limit and is per person adult not per group. we always have our cigs with us and not packed away in suitcase so ther can be no question of trying to conceal them and if you are really worried then why not but them at the airport after you have went through Customs and passport control which as you know are both after security just make sure any cigs you have are showing the band for tax paid.

Robbie
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/thelibrary/tobacco-products.pdf

so is this what i take with me.

Do you know if they do Lambert and Butler and GV at Bourgas.

I met get to the airport early in case i get a stroppy person so i can stand my ground :)
Sue, Last year G/v was double the price as in resorts. why not do as I suggested in an earlier posting, google in "Nothing to Declare" and this will open up a Hornets nest about customs, if you rerad it through you will come across a letter in Both English and Bulgarian which you can show to customs in Bulgaria. Tonyt
I had a quick look on the site I did see a letter about Sofia. I will have a good look on it. Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.