Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
duty free
25 Posts
Hi, the guideline for tobacco from EU countries is 1 Kilo rolling tobacco and 800 cigarettes, anymore could make you liable for questioning and for you to prove all goods are for your own consumption or GIFTS.

Tonyt.
That's just it Tony, it's a guideline only. As long as you can prove they are for yourself or, gifts, then there's nothing they can do. Just remember to keep all transaction receipts, pay by card preferably as you could have been given cash.

I can't see why you cannot bring them back to UK after your stop in Spain madasharley. :think
yes I know there will be no problem if holiday was in spain just worried as it starts in a non eu country ???
I've had a mooch around the net & it appears, as you are buying them in Spain it's fine :tup double check once on board though. I'm sure there'll be another passenger who knows for definite :tup
Need more clarification ....
Regardless of where the cruise started, does the cruise end in Spain and do you have a air ticket back to the UK from Spain.?
If so, then I cannot see any reason why you cannot buy your ciggies/tobacco, once you've departed the ship in Spain.

Sanji x
It sounds right to me, if the flight is back to UK from Spain to buy Duty Paid.... the only thing to consider is not to mix too many different kinds of cigarette/tobacco brands (ie - if buying for other people) as it's difficult to claim they're for your own consumption when there are more than a couple of brands.

Most smokers stick to one or two different kinds rather than smoking anything and everything ;)
hi guys thanks for the reply's and thanks for checking glynis the cruise does end in palma and I know that we wont have time to get off here as we will be sent straight to airport from ship.
the stop previous to here is Alicante so was going to get my tobacco here and keep the receipts.
I don't buy for anyone only myself but I like to get enough to last me till next holiday which is normally about 4-6 boxes.
I will obviously get our 2 boxes duty free which I am entitled to for non eu on plane to jamica then get more paying the duty in spain. )))
Will you be smoking the duty free tobacco whilst away on holiday? Or are you proposing to bring that back into the UK with you? If you are bringing a mix of duty free and duty paid back through UK customs with you that could complicate matters because you won't be entering the UK from outside of the EU.

At the very least if you are bringing Duty Free bought on the plane or at the airport on your way out, I think you would be well advised to make sure that they are in a bag sealed at the time of purchase. Friends returning from Cuba via either Madrid or Paris have been challenged on arrival in Edinburgh about rum they were bringing back with them. I seem to remember this cropping up on HT as well but I can't find the post now.

SM

SM
I have just checked with relation at Gatwick Airport. You are not allowed to bring back both allowances, her advice is to just buy in Spain, lesser complications for you.
thanks guys I will buy my fags duty free on the plane to smoke over the 18 days then buy a load of bacci in spain to bring home then )))
madasharley wrote:
thanks guys I will buy my fags duty free on the plane to smoke over the 18 days then buy a load of bacci in spain to bring home then )))

:smokin :bling
After seeing a very good friend die of lung cancer, my advise is to give up smoking.
Qman wrote:
After seeing a very good friend die of lung cancer, my advise is to give up smoking.

but then after seeing so many people die from car crash's maybe I should give up driving !!!!! :que
It's all about choices when it comes to smoking, overeating etc.... it's all down to the individual.

Smoking however, (or the giving up of it) has to be at the choosing of the smoker concerned. They will only stop if they want to...

My hubby had what they thought was an aneurysm when he was 28yrs of age and was told to stop smoking. He did, for about 6 months and some years after that, he was told again to stop with the use of patches etc to help. Then he had a bout of depression in 1999 caused by his ex-wife being a bit of a cow a few months before we were due to get married and the doctor told him if smoking calmed him, then start again!

Suddenly out of the blue on 16th January 2013 at 6pm - he decided that was the last cigarette he was going to smoke. And, he hasn't had one since.

It was a long, hard slog for both of us for the first 6 months (so much so, that I had to bite my tongue many times from telling him to "have a bloody cigarette") and then things suddenly got easier.

Now, he has the odd "moment" when something triggers off the memory of him being in a particular place smoking a fag. He had one only the other day when we were discussing holidays and he recalled sitting at one of the little cafes down on the harbour at Port el Kantoui in Tunisia!

Some years after his aneurysm, in September 1999 and during the time of the depression, he had another turn accompanied by two huge epileptic fits which resulted in hospitalisation but finding out the bleed he'd had initially was caused by an AVM (a malformation of the road map between the arteries to the capillaries).

However, the good news was that it could be cured - and following an overdose of gamma knife radiation in a concrete bunker at the Royal Hallamshire hospital in Sheffield his head was screwed into a metal frame and attached to a table for an hour while they zapped him from the safety of the outside of the bunker. We had to wait a further 2 years to see if the treatment had been successful. After he had another angiogram, he got the letter to say the AVM had been killed off and he was free from it happening again. He had already lost his peripheral vision on the right side from the first bleed and that will never return and he still has the short term memory loss - but other than that, he's perfectly fine.

So even after all this happening to him, it still took him from 1999 to 2013 to choose to stop smoking himself. He's been much better healthwise too since he stopped and hasn't had the dodgy sore throats and stuff that he used to suffer with 3 or 4 times each year.

But, all this came from him as I'd given up nagging him many years ago. This time it was him who decided he was going to stop although he's fully aware he could just as easily start again...

We still have to visit the Tax Free shops every airport trip - just so he can have a look at the prices ;)

So Shirley, should you decide to stop at any time in the future - there's some food for thought.
madasharley wrote:
Qman wrote:

but then after seeing so many people die from car crash's maybe I should give up driving !!!!! :que

If you are seeing so many car crashes while you are driving maybe you should drive a bit more carefully!!!!!!!!

I used to smoke and stopped a long time ago, It was easier than I thought, but you have to really want to stop. I used the money I saved to buy myself something for a treat.

I reckon I am now saving £60 per week, that's over £3000 a year. Go on it's the new year give them up.
Qman, I often used that argument with my other half about how much money he would save and suggested putting the price of a packet of fags in a tin each day. It never held any water as to him, it was absolutely no incentive.

He enjoyed smoking so there was no way he was giving it up after over 30yrs of being a 20 a day smoker. Luckily, he had gone on to ultra low tar cigs some years ago so that probably helped a little in the end.

I come from a family of non-smokers so for me, it was particularly difficult to understand the attraction of it.

It's a habit and it's the nicotine which torments the brain as soon as you've put the last cigarette you've smoked out. It immediately niggles and tells you "I need".... hence why many smokers light up again 20 minutes after their last one.

It's horrible, nasty stuff which makes a fortune for all those governments who allow them to still be sold and rake the tax back. Then the UK government tell you the NHS cannot afford to keep treating people. Hmmm, if all the smokers stopped pouring the tax paid back into the government coffers - then they REALLY wouldn't be able to afford to treat people!
I agree with you cyprus. I was going to tell madasharly that he/she was being naughty trying to save money on tobacco while depriving the exchequer of their money. So that when he/she has bronchitis/lung cancer there won't be enough money in the NHS to help.

But I decided not to.

It was saving the money and thinking how I wasn't paying so much tax for the government to waste that kept me going. Another thing was playing with a golf ball in my pocket, you need something for your hands to do!
I got rid of all the ashtrays and matches in our house as well.
When I did smoke many years ago I found that duty free cigarettes and cigars didn't taste like ones bought in this country. I reckon they used different tobacco in the duty free ones because they were bought out of our laws.
I think all the fags were made by one firm and badged accordingly.
We often hear about the cigarettes bought in Cyprus (I've heard it mentioned about some places around the harbour in Paphos) that they taste a bit "fishy" and they don't think they're kosher but as we've never purchased any there ourselves, it's difficult to speculate.

All depends where they come from I suppose? But there are apparently fake brands and I guess you just have to take pot luck.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.