Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
agee year before had to check at counter for Saturday afternoon flight to Corfue and would only let us do it 2 hours before! Trust me we were in the que to get to the desk exactly 2 hours before as Mr GeordiePants was upset that he might miss his Mexicaono meal - in any event went ok.

So last year checked in on line for Friday afternoon flight to Crete - we dropped off bags 2.30-3 hours before flight - no problems - which suits as we like to shop/eat/relax before flight.

However it might have changed again now that we all have to check in on line and all have to baggage drop!

Hope not and hope this helps a bit!
Well thats certainly encouraging. I think we will get there at least 3 hrs before anyway and pray to the gods that we can get our bags dumped before the 2 hrs. If not the others can do their book and munch shopping on the pre-security side to save time once through security .

lyn
When I flew from Gatwick North in Feb with easyJet we dropped bags off at least 3 hours before flight?
I don't think you will have a problem dropping off the bags early , from memory we have always checked in around 3 hours before , we always used speedy boarding though , but now there are more bag drop checkins , desks , it might be worth checking how early no1 traveller lounge will let you in before your flight departure time too .
I've got a feeling that you can access the lounge from three hours before your flight is due to depart Lyn, so I guess there is not much point in trying to drop bags off much earlier than three hours before, but that should still leave about two hours in the lounge hopefully if you manage to get through security quickly and minus the time you wait at the gate for boarding. Hopefully money well spent. :tup
Having read the hoo hah, over the new British Airways catering contract, I am beginning to think I should have booked the Gatwick No1 lounge instead. :rofl you will be on the champagne before you leave !
Thanks all, it's certainly sounding like we wont have to hang around too long then. Yes it's 3 hours prior to flight time for No 1 lounge so it would be nice to check out the facilities for a couple of hours.

We can easily get through about £70/£80 for breakfast and a round or 2 of drinks between the 5 of us so for £100 (or £80 for the cheaper lounge) Im hoping it will be money well spent.
I thought it was around 3 hours for entry into the lounge , I've been told the no1 traveler is a nice lounge , you see the entrance before going up in the lift to the BA lounge .
Doe , I've read recent reports that the BA gatwick lounge is ok , we were in there just after the takeover by Baxter Storey and the food and drink was just as good , the service was actually better with clearing up etc , I think most of the hoo hah is in the galleries and first lounge at LHR , no hot food between 3 to 6 pm apparently being the main complaint along with the pre packed walkers biscuits that no one ate in the lounge but pilfered into their bags ( my wife included) the ginger ones were best ;) I've heard that they do still offer pre packed biscuits but they are gluten free and very sweet but good , you have to ask for them ( if you want something to take for later) I also have free lounge entry with my Barclays account and just have to activate it and I think that includes the no1 traveler lounge at gatwick , I think it's the airport angel program , I might do that for my September departure from gatwick just to see what it's like in there .

Lyn , you can also factor in that you are in a more restful area than being in the main departure lounge with all the background noise , I like to be fed , sedated , and relaxed before my flight :D Plus you won't be walking around all the shops spending more money !!!
:rofl Andy. Im really looking forward to it, which is why Im certainly aiming to get my monies worth. No point sprinting up there with 15 minutes to go :rofl
I think you can also book spa/ beauty treatments too ( I'm not inferring, just saying !!) :D if you want to pass some time away , get the hubby to treat you ;)
I did see that on their website Andy . Im sure it was a lady in bathrobe etc relaxing on one of those beauty beds. How on earth are you supposed to fit all this in .. maybe her flight was delayed by 5 hours :rofl

With my 4 men to round up and supervise there is not a chance in hell of me ever being that relaxed at an airport but i will let you know on my return Andy and maybe you might like to treat your good lady to a pre-flight massage next time :rofl
I just returned from Gatwick - Glasgow, flight departed at 20:55

I dropped my bag of at 16:00, before dropping my bag of, I asked at the sales desk if I could check my suitcase in, and was told yes

On the screens it had check-in for this flight to open at 18:10, but I was able to check my bag in 5 hr before the flight was due to take of
lynwestie wrote:
I did see that on their website Andy . Im sure it was a lady in bathrobe etc relaxing on one of those beauty beds. How on earth are you supposed to fit all this in .. maybe her flight was delayed by 5 hours :rofl

With my 4 men to round up and supervise there is not a chance in hell of me ever being that relaxed at an airport but i will let you know on my return Andy and maybe you might like to treat your good lady to a pre-flight massage next time :rofl

Sorry Lyn , I missed your reply on July 3 , don't worry she gets enough treats ! When we fly in November from T 5 she can book a free treatment in the Elemis spa , and earlier this year we went to the BodyHoliday resort in St Lucia , I will be booking soon for next year , check it out at http://www.thebodyholiday.com

Joe I do have to ask how did you occupy yourself for 5 hours ? Did it actually feel that long ?
pleased to report we dropped our bags around 3 hours before with no problems at all. Dont think we would bother with the airport lounge again. It was very busy when we first arrived, no comfy seating left and so we were left to park our behinds on a set of those metal style bistro chairs. Dave found it all too claustrophobic and disappeared with the hump after 15 minutes. :duh

I think we like the hustle and bustle of an airport more than we thought we did and actually Gatwick north is a lot more pleasurable than the south side particularly once you get up to the end where the EJ gates are situated.. Deserted up there with costas and comfy seating.

lyn
lynwestie wrote:

I think we like the hustle and bustle of an airport more than we thought we did and actually Gatwick north is a lot more pleasurable than the south side particularly once you get up to the end where the EJ gates are situated.. Deserted up there with costas and comfy seating.

lyn

Nice to hear a different view , the most common complaint about airports is that they are shopping centres for the airport operator and have nowhere to sit .
I prefer the north to the south plus the missus knows where everything is , the staff do have a derogatory name for the south , even though it has improved and is quite nice over there too .
Im fairly sure all our flights over the last 2 years out of Gatwick have been from the north terminal Andy but our next is from the south so it will be nice to see how things have changed there.

lyn
The security area is massive , and the departure lounge is really nice , all the food places are upstairs and the shops and duty free ground level , plenty of seating areas in the middle of each floor ..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.