Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Info re: Easyjet prices for extra legroom seats and prebooking seating now published. Only available on selected routes during this trial period.

£3 to choose seats, exit / front row seats - with extra legroom - will cost an additional £9 (£12 in total) , and those towards the front an extra £5 (£8 in total).

If no preselection options taken seat allocation will be advised at the time of booking and families, groups etc will be seated together if possible.

Whilst not mentioned speedy boarding no longer availalble as it will not be required due to everyone having allocated seating ! - this costs £9.50 per flight. However, speedy boarding did offer sppedy bagdrop etc

As Ryanairs extra legroom option is 'only' £10 - will they now see an opportunity to raise their fees to match Easyjets ?

Regards Chris
Further to Chris's post:

EasyJet to charge for pre-allocated seats

EasyJet will start charging passengers for the privilege of reserving specific seats for the first time, but the airline insists the move is to take the stress out of boarding rather than to raise more money.

The airline will charge £8 to reserve seats in rows two to eight, £12 for seats with extra legroom and £3 for all the others.

The carrier, which yesterday announced it would lose less money this winter than previously anticipated, said it will trial pre-allocated seating on several routes next month.

Chief executive Carolyn McCall told The Times the airline had spent £5m on a new computer system for seat reservations to "take the stress out of boarding", which she admitted was a barrier to people travelling with the airline.

She went on to say that she didn't expect the vast majority of passengers to pay to reserve seats and she insisted those who chose not to pay would still be able to sit with their flight companions.

The first destinations to offer the service include Sharm-el-Sheikh, Istanbul, Malaga and Alicante. The airline will email passengers booked on flights to these destinations to give them to option of paying for pre-allocated seating from April.

EasyJet announced yesterday that it expects half-year losses to the end of March of £110m to £120m, compared to a £153m loss in the same period last year.

It had earlier forecast a loss of £140m to £160m but it said the milder winter, which resulted in less disruption and lower de-icing costs, reduced competition and better than expected yields had cut its losses.

The carrier said rising fuel prices would add £145m to its costs in the second half of the year.

EasyJet today launched its first service to Iceland, which will operate three times a week all year from London Luton Airport to Reykjavik.

With permission from Travelmole
Speedy Boarding for our Christmas 2012 flights to Portugal are costing £43 (2x £21.50), so the new system, if adopted after the trial run, will save me money on future trips. As this outcome very rarely happens, expect an announcement sometime from EJ that they're abandoning the new system and reverting to the status quo. :roll:
sagres,

Of course if you head for the extra legroom seats the new system will cost you £48. However, for such a short flight I guess it probably isn't worth paying this given Easyjets fairly generous legroom in standard seating.

£3 to choose an standard seat and not to have the queuing process we now see would be ok with me. However, how long will it take to push all the fees up from £12, £8 and £3 - my guess is 2 years (max) and it will be £15, £10 and £5 ! and free allocation will go.

Chris
Completely agree, Chris. I'll be happy (and not a little surprised ) if I save money in 2013 but, like you, am fairly certain that EJ's accountants will have rectified the situation in their favour by Christmas 2013.
... As the saying goes - you win one, you lose the rest. :-D
Had a text from my sis earlier, saying there were huge queues at the Easyjet check in in Bristol this morning, and she was glad she'd checked in online. I've just tried to do the same, for my flight from Gatwick, but it says you can check in online if you have hand luggage. I know for a fact that she had one case to go in the hold. Can anyone help please?
I think it all depends on what time your flight departs. our flights from Gatwick leave at 7:00am and we have always checked our luggage in the night before, But with their one desk fits all flights policy there did'nt seem to be a problem on the day of departure.. Incidently I have checked in already for flights in November and December from Manchester, I did'nt think that you could that far away, but it seems to have worked.
Our flight is at 6.30am, but I can't see anywhere that says I'm allowed to check in hold luggage, which is what she's done :que
When easyjet say 20kg hold luggage allowance is your hand luggage included in that weight as I can't see a weight for hand luggage just the size?
Glynis I am sure Easy Jet have unlimited weight for hand luggage as long as your hand luggage measures within their guidelines.

Also you can only carry one piece of hand luggage therefore could not carry a cabin case and a handbag.
Aww thanks for the quick reply sugarbabes. I keep looking through their info and can't see anything about hand luggage weight, I didn't want to get to the airport and be charged a fortune :rofl

Saw the bit about the handbag so will have to place mine at the top of Eastpak bag :tup
Unlimited weight within their measurements and you have to be able to put it in the overhead bin unaided ;)
Glynis,

In answer to your question hand luggage is in addition to your 20kg hold luggage.

Chris
Aww thanks everyone. That's not too bad then 20kg's and unlimited hand luggage weight :tup

My suitcase is hard bodied (and I daren't buy another suitcase) so was a bit concerned.
Glynis - I've packed shoes, jewellery, underwear, swimwear and books in my hand luggge, & it's still a manageable weight :tup
At many airports you can carry on a bag of 'stuff' bought airside in addition to your hand luggage allowance - this applies to all airlines even Ryanair (as mentioned and highlighted at East Midlands).

Dispensation provided to allow airside outlets to sell something as most passengers have bulging hand luggage / pockets before they hit these shops. Manchester, East Midlands and Bournmouth are a few you can do this - Stansted you cant !

Chris
This differs from my recent experiences flying with Easyjet, Monarch and Ryanair in/out of LGW/STN/BRS where the one piece of hand baggage has been strictly enforced.

Easyjet are trialling 2 pieces of hand baggage on certain routes until the end of this month:

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5521/kw/hand%20luggage/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzMzQzODA1Ni9zaWQvTk0yckRIVWs%3D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.