Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
The quick and simple answer is yes. There is a frequent direct bus service from outside the terminal building to the railway stations in town (haymarket and waverley)to the central bus station less than 5 minutes walk to Princes Street. The BAA Website for Edinburgh airport will give you all the required details.

Nivsy
thanks Nivsy for that information.
used this last year, think it was around £3.50 one way but think you could buy a return but cant remember.
The journey is about 25mins
A return ticket is £5 and at busy times they have someone standing at the bus stop selling them at both the airport and Waverley rather than having everybody queuing to pay the driver as they board.

SM
Some news from the Scotish Capital. Aplogies if this has been already reported under individual airlines.

Globespan will be pulling the Edinburgh - Prague service. Probably due to competition from Malev and ...dare i say it....looking at expanding new routes from Stansted.

Jet 2 dropping the Manchester-Edinburgh sector.

Postive news - from next May Delta airlines will fly daily from Edinburgh to their main hub of Atlanta.

Nivsy
Mmmm. Did i say Malev? I mean CSA. Jetlag from Hong Kong setting in me thinks! :hmmm
We have used the bus and would highly recommend it. Very frequent and saves a lot on taxi fare.

As for Exeter airport that is another matter, no buses into the city centre and no taxi ranks. You have to ring for a taxi and most of the time you have to share £5 each way.

Sorry a little off topic.

Gail
And further to Nivsy's news, I've just discovered that FlyBe are stopping their Liverpool-Edinburgh Service from the end of October. Apparently they are opening up new routes aimed at the winter sports market and don't have enough planes to service these new routes so are closing some of the existing ones down!

This was an excellent service and on the days when either my parents or I used it (they live in Liverpool and I'm up in Scotland) it was always busy and one would have assumed on of their more profitable routes. Given that my mother needs disabled assistance this will make travelling up here so much more of a hassle for them if they have to revert to either using the trains or going via Manchester which is a £25 taxi fare each way (which makes the taxi fare to the airport more expensive than the direct flight ever was!).

SM
SM how did you find this out. Cant believe this, been waiting to buy some seats for a trip up to Edinburgh in April for a huge family party. Hotel all paid for, it was an excellent service as we have family up there and would travel at least every couple of months.
Hi Gail,

When I treid to book tickets over the Web for my mum and dad to come up here for Christmas, it kept saying that there were no tickets available no matter what dates I tried. I was a bit suspicious because when I'd checked prices a couple of weeks back there was a lot of availablity. I knew it was very busy route and that people would be booking early for Christas and New Year but it seemed odd that everything, even from as early as 16th Dec was gone! So I phoned their booking centre to check what was up and this is when I was told that they were dropping the route from this end of this month! The young man I was speaking to was the one who told me about the new 'ski' routes and then he clammed up - I suspect because he'd suddenly realised that he'd probably said too much. But before doing so he did say that it might well be re-instated in the spring once the ski season comes to a close so you might be lucky and find that they will be doing Liverpool-Edinburgh in time for your trip in April. It will be worth keeping an eye on the website over the winter months.

Manchester is far less convenient for us than Liverpool and we'll sorely miss this service as someone from one or other end of this particular extended family was making the journey about every 6 weeks. Let's hope that the ski routes prove unprofitable in comparison and they re-instate this route as quickly as possible. I suspect that closing down this route at such short notice will have left them with a lot of disatisfied customers - they were taking bookings for the Christmas/New Year period right up until the end of September when I last checked prices so they'll have made a lot of people unhappy by cancelling the service after taking bookings for flights in December/January. Unfortunately the loss of good will as a result might reduce bookings even if they do start up again on this route in the Spring.

SM
Hi, Does anyone have any recommendations for car hire from Edinburgh? I need a car for 1.5 days (actually just an extra couple of hours into day 2) any tips would be most appreciated. Thanks, Scoya.
Hi again scoya ... I have used Arnold Clark Car Rental at Glasgow, but not in Edinburgh. However, they do serve both airports via courtesy coach from off-site depots.

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that they may allow a 1 hour period of grace on return of the vehicle. However, their rates are so low that even if you had to pay for a 2 day hire, it may still be more economical than a 1 day hire from one of the major international companies inside the terminal.

One drawback is that mileage is not unlimited for a 1 day hire. You have a daily allowance of 250 miles, with a very small charge for each additional mile (around 4p per mile). Rentals over 4 days have completely unlimited mileage.

There is a minimum £100 compulsory damage excess depending on group of car, but I believe that this is currently being waived for online bookings.

More info HERE.

It's something to compare with any other personal recommendations you may pick up here.

David :wave
Thanks David, I'll take a look at their website. The mileage won't be a problem, as I'm only driving up to St. Andrews for the night to collect my niece. Thanks, Scoya.
Any tips for cheap return travel between Chesterfield, Derbyshire and Edinburgh. Got 10 adults travelling up to support Scotland against the All Blacks on Friday 25th November returning on Sunday 27th November.
Hi,
We're flying to Innsbruck this September from Edinburgh, and I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for car parking on or off airport. Thanks. :D
Edinburgh doesn't have much choice for airport parking so the prices are higher than say Glasgow. If you Google "Edinburgh Airport Car Parking" you should get a few results. Sorry I can't give specific links, but I'm not at home at the moment so no access to my Favourites.

Can't remember the name of the company we used when we booked parking only, but I think they are all much the same. We usually book a hotel with parking.

luci :wave
Easyjet have launched a new route from Edinburgh to Dortmund from May 2007.
Anyone advise as to prices in the pubs in Edinburgh airport. Travelling down from Aberdeen in morning and have few hours to fill in and wondering whether to spend in Edinburgh city or just get shuttle straight through to airport. Notice 2 Weatherspoons bars in airport but assume not Weatherspoon normal prices?

cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.