Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
hmmm not sure about june as we have only been during dec/jan as the heat then is very hot. june/july is even hotter...also what part are you going to as sharm/red sea will be around 5-10 degrees cooler than luxor/aswan.
when we in luxor in november temp was around 32o that is why the hile cruises tend to do the excursions very early in mornings so your back on boat by midday. we did one excurrsion further south from luxor to abu simbel temple on the sudan boarder and it was 37o by 9am in morning, it was quite unbearable and as i said this was considered their winter time...
You need to consider the heat with young kids as it will be very hot in June and the length of the flight it's quite tedious.

In a way with Sharm you could be in any other seaside resort, if you are a little child as it tends to be sand, swings and ice cream that they like which you can get more or less anywhere.

Many hotels have no beach and you go straight into deep water from a pontoon as it is illegal to tread on the coral. So if you do go select your hotel carefully.

Its really a matter of if you yourselves want to visit the Red Sea area, maybe for scuba or snorkelling. Those are the big attractions there that make it different from say Lanzarote, the Costas, the Algarve, Malta or any other summer sun style resort.
I've been in September with an 18 month old many years ago and she was fine,we are going with a 2 year old and 1 year old in may
There isnt much difference with heat from June, July and August. It is high 90s, where in August it reached 108. The heat burns and although i am a sun lover, i couldn't stand it without an umbrella, on the beach they do go quick Naama Bay end. Plus the hotter it is the more chance you got getting diarrhoea, cramps and feeling rubbish for a few days. UK pharmacy stuff does not work, so it may be costly going to a pharmacy in Egypt, unless you get a very nice man to fetch you the stuff. Some guests have cast iron tummys so will be ok. But for young kids it is very painful.

I personally wouldn't take a young child at that time, but some people do not have the luxury of going when they want, i understand that.

We always go between November to April, the temps are 78-85 degrees, cooler nights without the humidety, but still hot in the day.

Just my thoughts, we have been 11 times :)
Enjoy your holiday
The average temperature in June - Aug is generally in the mid high 30's (mid 90's - low 100's)) and sometimes even higher, even in March temperatures are generally recorded as an average of low-mid 20's (low-mid 70's) however the temperature in Sharm in the last few days has been up in the mid 30's and is expected to go even higher this week with a predicted high of 39 (102) on Thursaday.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/sharm_el_sheikh/averages
We have just got back from Luxor where it reached 39c for the last 3 days. I dread to think how hot it gets in June there!
Yes i remember in June to show how hot it was, the restaurant man fried an egg on the pavement. Also in Cairo my flip flops melted in August :rofl
Why can't we have a weeks worth of Egypt Sun/heat in the UK.Would make a nice change :)
A bit cooler for the next few days back down to their seasonal average which would be a lovely summer day here :D

http://www.holiday-weather.com/sharm_el_sheikh/forecast/fourteen-day/
:think I was giving this a bit more thought, as the OP hasn't bothered to log back on since posting the question this is just some advice for anybody else that is considering going during the height of the summer.with children....

The temperatures not just for children but also adults makes doing anything physical very exhausting, temperature up over 100 degrees is not for the faint hearted.

Make sure that you have VERY high factor sun protection for everybody not just the kids , try and wear a hat and a top for protection, Slip-Slop-Slap as they say, for your children making them wear the specific 'Sun Protective Clothing' is a good idea if you can do that.

Fluids are a must, water is the obvious choice and must be drunk however if you can drink some of those Isotonic sports style drinks such as Gatorade, Lucozade Sport, Powerade etc they are better than plain water for replacing fluid, electrolytes and carbohydrates and will rehydrate you better.

Try to avoid going out in the height of the afternoon and doing anything strenuous, sit in shade or try and take a siesta during the midday sun 12-3.

Air Conditioning is a must however don't go straight from the high outdoor temperatures to a cold A/C room, this is bad for you and can cause an upset stomach and associated problems, if you can try and cool down ( acclimatise ) yourself gradually, sit in the shade or bar / lounge or whatever for a short time to cool down slightly first.

Don't be put off going and most importantly - Enjoy your holiday.

Graham

Oh just an important after thought, do take some Diyoralite with you incase your children do get a bit of a stomach upset with the heat, they are a must for replacing fluids and salts lost in children.
Hi Graham, i do agree mostly with what you are saying, just a couple of pointers, be careful with the gatorade, it filled us up and gave us chronic Pharaohs revenge :cry Also the air-con, be careful, i agree about going from hot to cold, but from my experience of 11 times to all parts of Egypt, it is the AC that caused us the problem as filters are not adequently cleaned out, so filters breathe germs. Drink water to hydrate but do not go over board as water flushes right through you. Drink flat lemonade.

That is my experience :wave:

As for children, i would not entertain youngsters, the heat and humidity is over whelming. I adore any heat, and could stand egyptian temperatures, its the cramps i couldn't, should you get this or your children see a GP, they are not expensive and i recommend the jab.

Children can get very tired and may not be able to tell you how they feel.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.