Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi there

My family and I are going to the Coral Sea Resort in Nabq Bay next week - does anyone have a map that they can PM to me?

Also what do you all make of the shopping in La Strada - should I go to Old Sharm for things like fake designer bags etc.? Or is La Strada decent enough?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Trolleyman, how did your vacation go? Can i stop panicking about the Laguna Vista being a total dump and we are going to die of food poisoning? any tips for changing money nearby, which taxis to use for naama bay trips, which waterpark for 6 and 9 year old girls.. ANYTHING!! i leave on 1st oct, so quick reply would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Craig in scotland
Hi all,

I'm just back from Nabq (stayed at the Egyptian Experience self catering apartments) and thought I would let you know what the area was like....

Nabq is on a main road with a range of shops, restaurants and bars (not many though!). There was a bar in La Strada which showed football and had music most nights - think it was called The Zone. There is also another pub (English owned) next to the Jasmine Centre called the Three Crowns which again shows sports, music and good food. There are a lot of hotels in Nabq so a lot of people walking around in the evening. Food wise there is Mc Donalds, KFC and Burger King along with a chinese restaurant and another couple of restaurants (fish and meat dishes).

Naama Bay is 20 mins away (taxi will cost you 60LE or 8LE on a blue bus). Here there are LOADS of bars, restaurants and shops. Its quiet until 6/7pm and really livens up around 9/10pm. If you walk along the beach prominade there are a couple of bars with BOGOF offers on drinks between 6 and 9pm. The Pirates Bar in the Hilton Hotel is great and has happy hour between 6 and 8pm - local beer 10LE a bottle (about £1.20 and very nice!).

We found that the majority of people stayed in their hotels or on the beach during the day and then went out in the evenings. There isnt much activity outside the hotels during the day.

But all in all, I had a great holiday! :sun2
Great report....thank you :wave:

Can I ask anyone thinking of going to the Three Crowns to search on Trip Advisor for reports on this bar. We are staying in Nabq next year and will not be touching this place with a bargepole.
Hi Summerdays I am going to these aparts next week. How did you find them? Were the poolsOK? Was it busy? Did you use local taxis etc?
Sorry to ask loads questions but first time s/c in Sharm-prev all incl.
Please advise best restaurants
Thanks
How do you pronounce Nabq?

Nab + K (not kay ,but flat K as in kiss)...I think :think
I am staying at Tropicana Sea Beach in march.Is this far from all the action in Nabq.Also i am going with the Mrs and 17 year old daughter we are on an A/I basis for 1 week but having never been to Egypt before we would like to know how much spending money to take.We like to go out a night and explore different bars.Thanx.
Nabq doesn't have a great deal of 'action' - it is basically small shops and supermarkets with a sprinkling of restaurants and shopping malls. At the Naama Bay end of the street is a small shopping mall with a chemist called 'Boots' :) and there is a small drinks cafe in the middle that has shows every night, dancers, musicians etc - worth a visit.
At the other end there is a restaurant called 'Onions' and another called 'Peking', both of which are very good - in the same block there is a Macdonalds and a KFC. A bit further on is the 'La Strada' mall where there are a number of restaurants, including a good seafood, some cafes and shops. In between it is basically entrances to hotels and tourist 'tat' shops.
For the best evening's 'entertainment' you need to go into Naama Bay or Old Market by taxi.
The taxis will try to overcharge, asking 100-120EL but it should cost no more than 40EL to Naama Bay and 50EL to Old Market and if you refuse to pay more, even walking away they will relent. They will also try to get you to agree to a return trip - you may want to but it may be a pain having to cut short what you are doing in order to keep a meeting with a taxi. There are plenty of taxis so don't worry about being able to get one (except in Sharks Bay - no reason to go there IMO).
Remember that all restaurants have a 12% tax and 10% service charge so whatever you see on the menu remember to add 22% to the final bill - eating out is not necessarily as cheap as some holiday destinations.
Example I had a prawn curry with rice at a restaurant in Naama Bay which was 85EL (nearly £10) before tax and the wife had a korma - with drinks and a dessert the final bill for the two of us came to 350EL (around £40) - some lobster meals for one can be around £40 excluding anything else. At the centre mentioned above where the entertainment is provided a tea would cost 15EL (£2) + 22% and a beer or cocktail around 40EL (£4.50) + 22%.
Exchanging your sterling in Egypt will get you a better rate tha in the UK, eating the AI will save you more ;) .
Hi all...

I have just booked my holiday to the Oriental Resort, Nabq Bay, and obviously there are some questions i would like answered....however my local travel agent is unable to answer them!

My girlfriends main concern is just the :sun2 but im interested in going scuba diving and going the day trip to the pyramids etc, dont think it would make much sense going to egypt and not seeing the famous landmarks!

Does anyone know where or how i can get the best deals for these activities? any info would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers :tup
The trips are easy to book either before you go or when you are there, all the trips can be found on sites such as http://www.viator.com, together with prices and details.
I would book scuba/snorkling etc when you get there with one of the many agents or shops that sell them.
For Cairo, I wouldn't want to go with an organised tour as they are too restrictive and you won't get to do what you want to do, just what the tour says you're going to do.
When we went we booked our flights in advance at http://www.egyptair.com (choose 'Egypt' as your home country and select the day/time to suit your needs and budget) and book a Cairo guide such as Nibal Gouda http://www.egyptguest.com who will arrange a tailor-made tour for you and your wife from a list of sites she sends you - pyramids, sphinx, Egyptian Museum and Cairo Market are essentials IMO.
Obviously don't book your flights until you've confirmed with Nibal that she's available for the tour.

You can also go with a tour on an overnight coach to Cairo but that wasn't for us.
Hello Mathew and welcome to HT :wave:

You will find just about all the information that you require for excursions etc in this existing topic http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10154

Graham
Hi, we are flying out on the 4th to the Tiran Island Hotel (not the Tiran Sharm) does anyone know how far this is from Namq Bay and also recomendations on any bars in this area thanks :cheers
I have just recently booked a holiday to the nabq area of sharm. We are staying in a hotel called aa Amwaj. Can anybody let me know if they have stayed there before and how far this is from naama bay? Also what they thought of the hotel

Cheers

TOM LAD
Hi,

Not sure of your hotel, but we have stayed in Nabq Bay twice which is about 20/25 mins from Naama Bay.

Regards,
Pat
can you tell me where the tropicana grand azure is and what is near it ?
We'll be arriving at the Tropicana Club Azure too late at night for dinner. We haven't ordered meals on the plane as they are expensive and the children never eat them anyway. I understand there is a McDonalds close by but does anyone know to what time of night it is open? Also, just in case the AI is also finished is there anywhere we can get bottles of beer/soft drinks/water late at night?
Does any one know if there are any bars near to the aa amwaj hotel that will show all the live football games? And how to get to them from this hotel?

Tom lad
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.