Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I've moved one case upstairs now Sharon and emptied one pile of clothes . Washing case still in the hallway . No food in the cupboard but I found an easter egg :rofl
Hi Lyn :)

Welcome back. :tup So how did it feel there was it different to when you have been before in view of what they have been through ? I suppose being Easter visitor numbers were up, but a travel agent posted that people are just not booking Egypt at the moment :( so I am wondering what will happen for them during the rest of 2011 and into the New Year.

Had the Russians returned in any numbers ? I would imagine that would make a huge difference to them, I know all Russians go AI, but it is still bringing money into the Country and keeping the AI hotel staff in work and the dive company's in work as most of them like to dive.
We're back from the Grand Azure and had a great time - we'll certainly be going back to Egypt. One of the animation team spent a bit of time with us one evening, and she said that Russia have only just re started flights. We did notice a few more Russians as the wek went on. Having never been before, I'm not sure how many visitors are normally there at Easter, but I'd say that our hotel was around 3/4 full. We never had to wait for a table in the restaurant, and managed to get sunloungers quite easily every day, although it was usually around 8 am.
Id say the Hilton was 80% full by the time we left . We were told at reception on arrival 62% and only 4 rooms were booked with russians . I sat chatting with a couple of the staff down at the jetty one afternoon and they said Russians were only able to travel in via the Ukraine at the time . Maybe flights have only just restarted.

We visibly noticed the increase over the week though . The Dive centre told us that 2/3 weeks previous the old side was shut completely and they were only at 12% capacity . I got the feeling they were expecting numbers to drop again in may.

I'll put more details over on the Hilton topic later but must admit I felt quite upset when we arrived. I felt so sorry for those lovely Egyptians . They were desperate to make us happy and it upset me . The first night in the restuarant Dave wasnt particularly hungry after he had stuffed himself with bread . He put a little selection on his plate but only ate a little . When our plates were cleared he was asked with concern if everything was alright , The resturant manager volunteered to go and get Dave anything he would like , pasta , pizza whatever, just to ensure he was happy . It was so not necessary but an indication how desperate they have become .

Over the week the smiley faces and banter started to return and it was lovely to see some hope in their eyes again . . The dive centre said they had hardly worked for 3 months but had now started to see a little hope again .
Oh dear, sounds a bit desperate Lyn :( I am still hoping to go in the Autumn all things being well here, but it sounds worrying for them. Trouble is there are just so many holiday destinations offering similar things. It must have been worse for you having been there four or five times I imagine you really noticed the contrast.

I read on TA that the Holiday Village wasn't full over Easter :( and that is the other hotel along with HSB that is normally 95 to 100% over the break. Wonder if the Italians are going they were the other Nationality certain hotels are popular with there were quite a few in the Rennaisance when we went some years back.
There were a few other nationalities around chris but couldnt tell you what they were .

Well everyone certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves .We had a fabulous time and Entertainment team were very good too . No tummy upsets either .

I do so hope they've turned the corner now and there was also a general feel amongst the staff that their lives will be a lot better following the revolution.
There were quite a few French and Egyptians themselves at the Tropicana.
A lot of Egyptians arrived on good friday Evening . Restuarant was chaos but our waiter told us most of them would stay in their rooms during the day :que

A couple of them joined in the water aerobics and club dance and seemed to enjoy mingling with the brits. :)
A couple of them were coming down the shutes and slides in their full regalia Lyn - looked ever so comical.
It would be nice if things picked up for the Egyptians now..the tourism is a very heavily relied upon part of the economy and as there is such poverty in parts of Egypt anyway, it is so tragic that the people have suffered in this way. As far as we are aware, the British divers have carried on travelling to Egypt throughout the whole crisis..but obviously, it is not just the Brits that go diving. The Russians are big diving fanatics (pity the don't have the skills or the diving etiquette that is required) and as they stopped coming (along with many Germans and Scandinavians), the dive industry really struggled. Mind, I guess all the previous scare mongering with the sharks etc didnt help much either. :(

Hopefully, things are on the up.
A couple of them were coming down the shutes and slides in their full regalia Lyn - looked ever so comical.

Now call me thicko here but there was something puzzling me . Maybe someone can explain . The woman were all dressed as you say in their full regalia Helen but the men and children (female included) were all in normal beachwear . Is it only once the female is married they have to cover up in that way. They were snorkeling with their shoes on as well.
Lyn
Is it only once the female is married they have to cover up in that way. They were snorkeling with their shoes on as well

When a Muslim girl reaches puberty she is then expected to start covering up and wear the hijab, similar rules of modesty should apply to males hence you will never see a male Muslim in speedos :D

The teachings of the Qur'an and the Prophet Muhammad report '...After a young woman reaches the age of puberty, nothing should be seen of her except this and this," motioning to his face and hands' so if you follow that exactly one would have to cover their feet although this is not always followed.

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/48621/2664428560074781839S500x500Q85.jpg
that reminds me of one time we were in Sharm at the Sonesta....there was a man and his daughter in the pool...the man wearing just speedo's and the daughter was fully clothed in all the clobber, all in white complete with burkha..just laid on her back in the pool floating while dad moved her around...then Gav got in the pool at the other end..and dad dragged daughter out and said something not very pleasant in arabic to Gav on his way past. Gav was about 14/15 and was quite upset. he shrugged his shoulders at me and asked what he had done wrong.

very strange...all I could think of was double standards.
I can understand Gavs reaction val.

I think it is quite insulting to men in it's way, it implies a lack of sexual control in males, if they get a glimpse of an ankle. :(
Definate double standards going on if the bloke was in speedos.
Thanks for explaining that Graham . :)

They wernt dressed in anything as cheerful as that lovely pink shade . All rather drab whilst their husbands and children looked more western in their normal beach gear . Some had their faces on show whilst others just the eyes.

Without getting into anything too heavy and keeping this light hearted is it the woman that generally decides how strict she want's to be with this or her husband ??
In fairness Lyn. it may be the women. I work with a lot of Muslims and am friends with one girl and she likes the garb.

She says it's really easy, she found a lady dressmaker, chose 7 lots of different plain materials and had 7 of the full length dresses made and that was it sorted. Oh and has a few fancy scarves for special occassions and plain ones for the rest of the time. Got to be easier than trawling the shops all the time for something that suits you. LOL.
If it is the women that get to choose then great.

In the interests of not going down the heavy road...I don't mind seeing the full regalia if it is all colourful etc as it is different..and I have never minded having to cover up and wrap something round me when going on trips etc...again novelty value.

I wonder if it is actually quite cool wearing all that stuff though..or maybe they really suffer in the heat???
Something to think about, a fact that underneath the garbs there is very probably underwear that would not look out of place in Agent Provocateur, La Senza or even Ann Summers, so don't worry, females feel every bit as much a woman as those that wear Western style clothes.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.