Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I am not sure how how many t/a do the Ghazala Garden (as booked with Red Sea) but when we booked, there were only 2 rooms left for when we travel in November, although the swim up pool rooms had several. So that maybe a good sign. We were going to have a complete break away from Egypt this year, but Sam and I got the most awful withdrawal symptoms and decided to go back, be adventurous and try a different hotel :rofl It will be our 10th time in Sharm and we are both hoping that everything will be back to normal, but still no deep snorkelling for me, but wont keep away from beach.
Good for you michelle , where are you staying this time . Egypt always feels like home for me .

Still need to get my review done . Maybe try and get it done tonight after I'm re-energised (not) after Zumba.
Ghazala Gardens Lyn, its No 17 on TA and has good reviews, and looks nice, not to far away from the Oonas and my friends either :) Cannot believe it will be my 10th time, i am an old hat at it lol
Sorry Michelle . If I'd opened my eyes properly I would of seen You'd already said Ghazala Gardens :duh .

Oh dear what will they say at the Sonesta .

We didnt go into NB but were told it was very quiet down there with shop keepers pouncing on everyone to try and make a bit of money. Hopefully that should be improving now.
It was alot cheaper to be honest and gg is to far away. Its time for a change, this hotel came up a good price. Its good to see a different hotel but its only took me all these years to do it ha ha.
Hi Michelle :wave:

I bet you will have just as good a time at the Gazala gardens as you had at the Sonesta Beach. It's probably down to all your good reports that they put up the prices :rofl . Is the GG the one that got rebuilt and renamed a few years ago after a bomb went off ? I think someone on here went recently and thought it really nice. :tup so you should have a great time and its great you got a bargain. Sounds promising that it is booked up for November.

Doe :sun2
I am still having counselling after reading that Michelle wont be at Sonesta..... :rofl
How Doe

Yes it is the one that got bombed, but knowing i was coming of course they had to spruce it up, i don't go in any hotel you know :)

Val - Counselling indeed lol, i must confess i had heart palpations re-directing :rofl
For those of you that have visited various resorts in Egypt, which is your favourite and why?
We have visited Taba, Sharm and Hurghada...but we have only ever visited Egypt to go diving.

Each of the resorts had an appeal and something to offer for me. I enjoyed Taba as it was very quiet and peaceful and close to the border with Israel,so I could go on the trip to Jerusalem. Also, (if we had still been there, I would have done the trip to Jordan). The security was quite tight becuase of the proximity to Israel but Taba heights is a purpose built resort about 40 mins from the airport. The downside is there is not much there..but it depends what you want from your holiday. I would return to Taba..but only so I could do the trips into Israel and Jordan. The diving is very picturesque..it is where I did my first ever proper try dive when we went to Tiran Island.

Sharm is Sharm..and I did not enjoy the chaos on the jetty every morning scrambling for dive boats...again, it depends what you are looking for in a holiday. There are plenty of places to eat and drink, plenty of entertainment and squillions of tat shops.

Hurghada is the place I have been the most....the Egyptians have spent alot of money improving this resort..again there is something for everyone..and there are quite alot of Russians who visit there.

I decided some time ago that I prefer to actually go to sea for a week when we go there, so generally we fly to Hurghada, go straight to the jetty and set sail for a weeks excellent diving.

If I had to pick one of those 3 to be land based I would say Taba.
This might be a good topic for the main Egypt forum Helen . It would maybe get a better viewing . :tup

We've only been to Sharm and Nuweiba . Nuweiba was very peaceful . The sea didnt move and it was more the Red sea in it's natural state. I suspect as it's close to Taba it would be much the same .

We still prefer Sharm but I didnt like staying in NB . More hemmed in and the condition of beach and sea nowhere near as beautiful as further along the coast there due to the hundreds of dive boats churning out their fumes . We are not bothered about visiting bar's and restaurants and are happy with an early night ready for an early morning (best time of the day in Egypt).
whilst it's still very peaceful further along there is more of a buzz during the day and down on the hotel jetty's than there is in the more remote resorts. I like to people watch and enjoy a bit of atmosphere around the pool.
Perhaps the mods could move it for me Lyn. I know Marlou has been to a few different places, but I've never asked her which she prefered. I can see Egypt being an option for next Easter again, dependant on prices. Saying that, I've had the trots every day since we've been back :que
aah, the old pharoah's revenge....

not nice.....

I like Egyptian sunsets...beautiful and very peaceful when you are out at sea.
- strange though, as I didn't have anything out there, only since Ive been home :que
My son got struck down with a very severe sickness and diahorria bug 7 days in to our holiday, he ended up on a drip and was nearly sent to hospital, literally as soon as he had any fluids they came straight back out again. It will be 3 weeks since the start of the bug on Thursday and he still is not right, though thankfully he is slowly getting his appetite back. Only problem is the more he eats the more he goes to the toilet. We are now under our uk doctor who is running tests to work out what sort of bug it is, hopefully we might get the results back in the next few days.
Such a shame. :( Hopefully when you get the lab results back it will be easier for the Docs to work out what anti-biotics he needs as it could be dysentry, ecoil, salmonella or any number of horrible bacterias and I think they need to find out the specifics to get it right. Thank goodness for the NHS, but so awful for your son. My OH had something simiar some years back and it was frighteneing how much weight dropped off him in a three to four week time period.
My friends son had something similar too . He was fine when there but a few days after returning home became really ill with the same symptoms as the pharoahs revenge . He was ill for weeks with everything he ate going straight through him . As soon as he felt a little better he would feel starving hungry , eat like a horse and then be back to square one . In the end he was so week and dyhydrated he could barely get to work and 3 times my friend had to go and collect him from the station again because he just couldnt make it in and would be near the point of collapse .
There is a particularly nasty one called Shigalia (dont know if I have spelt that right or not)..a few years back when we had a dive trip to Sharm, quite a few people got Pharoahs..and one guy was ill for 4 weeks after he got back..he lost nearly 2 stone and had all these tests done and I think that was what he had had...

Pharoahs went round our dive boat last time..and it is not nice..I had it from about day 3 onwards until about 3 days after I got back.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.