Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Personally, I think electrical items (except fans of course) are expensive in Turkey, and I've only seen a couple of Kodak shops which sell cameras in Bodrum (mind you, I've never actually been looking for a camera shop).

I'd check out the sales here, and buy your camera before you go.

Bear in mind also that electic plugs in Turkey are 2-pin, so any electric item you bought there would have to have the plug changed to 3-pin when you got it home (and you'd have to check the wattage as well).

Elaine
Check voltage 220V - 240 V
Not wattage
Ta
:D :D :D :D

Please do not post with CAPS lock on. Thanks. luci - HT Mod
:oops: Oooops, sorry!

Elaine
The price of decent digital cameras has come down so much in this country (I'm assuming you don't want to be Lord Lichfield) that I don't see much point in getting one from Turkey.

I think the key question is, what do you do if you get it home and there's a problem??
its ok elaine we all make mistakes
dont use aftersun instead of sun tan lotion

MY BIG MISTAKE OOOOUUUCCCHHH!!!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :?
The only reason I thought about abroad is because my friend bought her camera last year (in Spain granted) and it was alot cheaper than home, thank you for your responses though - cheers :wink:
Could somebody please help me out.
what are the quality of electrical goods e.g. mp3 players etc
and what is the average price range.
Also do they sell PS2 games and dvd's
Any help in this would be gratefull i am going to turkey in a couple
of weeks and would be on the look out for these type of things 8)
the quality of electirical goods is very good, they range in price from cheap to expensive just like in the uk, but even the expensive versions are cheaper than the uk.
playstation games and dvds are very easy to get, most copies work ok, have only ever found a few that dont, most shops are happy to test for you. the few dvds that didnt work on my player do work on the playstation 2.

sorry had to edit spelling, im so bad at spelling its unreal
  • Edited by tokmak 2005-04-19 10:29:32
PS2
PS2 games are all copies and only play if your machine has been chipped most of them are NSTC as well I bought some and they didn't work, DVD's are fine most of them play on machines over here, Game Boy Advance games are fine too shop around for all of them and haggle, most of the up to date DVD's are under the counter so if you want something and can't see it ask they do normally have it and if not they can get it but beware they are counterfiet and you could get stopped at customs not that many people have I don't think but just for you to be aware
thanks for that info.
hopefully i can find a few shops that sell ps2 games and dvd's
i could do with a few new ones.
The one thing i am really after is something similar to an mp3 player
that plugs into your usb port.
do they do stuff like that in turkey :?:
MP3
I don't know I have never noticed any but then again I never looked I will ask a few friends that I speak to in Turkey and get back to you
Genuine PS2 games and consoles, together with MP3 players tend to be a lot more expensive in Turkey than in the UK (we're taking 2 PS2's with us to Turkey as presents as they are half the price here!!).

Be careful if you are tempted to buy new cinema release DVD's as the quality is sometimes very poor and you will only find out once you are back in the UK. Also, last year a lot of the shops selling fake DVD's were raided by the police and their stock was taken - not sure what they would do if you were caught at the airport with these.

Anyway, that's the word of caution out of the way. Expect to pay about £3.00-5.00 for a DVD (latest cinema releases) and about the same for PS2 games. Avoid the market sellers and ask to see a demonstration (if possible) before parting with your money.
Stick mp3 players are cheqper to buy in this country than in Turkey and as for dvd copies well you can get top quality ones at any pc fair for less than what you will pay in Turkey.

John
I know this may come as a shock :yikes to some people, but Electrical goods in the UK are amongst the cheapest in the western world, we are talking the genuine articles though, there is a theory that the number of burglaries have gone down because it's cheaper to buy a DVD player in ASDA or Tesco than a burglar can sell one for, taking his risks in to account, clothing is going along the same lines
we have only bought game boy copies which are great cant tell any difference stef
We
What we did when buying Game Boy Advance games my son took his GBA with him to test they worked, he has the new DS now so don't know if they will have any of those games yet the GBA games work in it too, and well if you have a portable DVD player you can always test them when you get back to the hotel/apartment and if they don't work you can always take them back I have done and they are more than happy to change them
My daughter wants an ipod and we are going to Turkey in 3 weeks time (yipee).

Is it possible to buy reputable goods from Turkey (unlike some places I have been to with dodgy gear)?

We are going to Hisaronu. Any idea if there is any good buys for this kind of product in Turkey?

Thanks,

jenny :)
Jenny I cant find an Ipod price but this will give you a clue a Casper MP3 player model CM101 (256MB) is 170 GBP so if you compare that to uk prices it will give you and idea wether its cheaper here or there but I am betting it will be cheaper in the UK as everything here is taxed quite heavily.
Just got this price iPod 40GB M9268ZV/A is 300 GBP
At the risk or repeating myself, you will not find electrical goods cheaper than the UK in Europe or Turkey, if not in the shops try EBay
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.