Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Elounda ?
12 Posts
Hi

we have been to elounda several times, we stayed at the manos apartments which are near the centre of the village, lots of lovely tavernas there
as for the wasps, well i am terrified of them i only saw a few, and that was in September
J
We have been to Elounda three times now and will go again some time this year. As Jane says Manos are good good position, we have also stayed at the Atki Olous just a little walk out of town, small rooms, basis breakfasts but you eat just at the waterside. We have also stayed SC at Marie Stella, only one star because no pool but brillliant studios/apartments only about 8 Mr. George the owner loves his garden full of flowers, a minutes walk too the harbour.
Thanks for the replies - I take it that you would recommend the area for a pair of culture vultures who enjoy 'real Greece --- though we may have to fght off the huuuugggggggeee wasps :D
lovely place and you can get a boat to spingalonga, if you get a chance read the book "the island" before you go to spingalonga it will make it seem so much more real

J
Hey Presto2!
I deduce from your comments that you seek a real Greek experience including absorption in the local culture. I've travelled much and often in Greece both on the mainland and the islands. I have also worked in Cyprus and know Paphos well. Crete is a unique and special experience and you could do worse than stay in Elounda which is a pleasant area not far from both urban and rural settings. I tend to regard the Heraklion region as central rather than on the other side as you suggest. It's true that once you've seen the Archeological Museum and Knossos there's not a great deal to attract (fascinating though they both are). The other side of the island is in fact Western Crete (west and south of Chania) and this is notably more attractive both in terms of its natural beauty and true Cretan culture, the latter of which is not that evident in Elounda. I strongly recommend you check this out. Start by visiting http://www.west-crete.com/crete-daily-photo.php and you'll begin to see what I mean. You'll find few Brits and many Athenians in this region which says a lot about its appeal.
Hi there

Sorry but I have to disagree with Richard having travelling over much of Crete over the past few years, I prefer the east of Crete, the scenery is more dramatic than the west. How you can say that the only "attraction" in the east is Knossos ... only goes to prove how little you really know the east of the island.

Elounda sounds as if it would suit you - pretty village with a lovely harbour and of course lots to see in this area - contrary to what Richard says...you are only an hour from Knossos, (5 mins) from the Island of Spinalonga, you could also visit the Dikteon Cave (1 hour away) one of the most famous caves in Lassithi Plateau and according to the myth Zeus was born inside this cave. Another must see is the pretty village of Milatos and the caves there, where the locals hid from the Turks in 1823, and later built a church in the cave (20 mins away) You are only 10 mins drive from Agios Nikolaos the capital of this region of Crete, which has probably the most photographed view in the whole of Crete the beautiful "bottomless lake" which myth says is where goddesses Athena is said to have bathed, and while in Agios you could visit the arcaeological museum too. There is also the ancient city of Lato built in the 7 century BC (30 mins away) and of course the second most important arcaeological site on Crete after Knossos is the ruins at Malia ( 30 mins away) - so lots to see and do. :-)
and of course the second most important arcaeological site on Crete after Knossos is the ruins at Malia ( 30 mins away)

The ruins at Malia are impressive but I thought that Phaistos was the second most important site after Knossos? Either way, all three are worth visiting.

SM
Yes you are right SM :) ............ and thats in central Crete too Richard lol :tup
Apologies for what may seem like a daft question: Eloonda or Elownda? I've heard both!
I have worked with Greeks in the Travel Industry for many years and they pronouce it Eloonda.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.