Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Emirates
301 Posts
Emirates flight out of Gatwick, Heathrow and Manchester use the same aircraft either the Airbus A330, or Boeing 777-300.
There is a huge difference between the two planes though in terms of comfort.

Last Christmas we flew to Dubai on a 777 and it was a great flight - loads of leg room, and even though it was 10 accross seating it felt like we had loads of room.

The return flight from Dubai was on the Airbus A330 and it wasn't a nice flight at all. 2 inches less legroom and it felt a lot more cramped and pretty uncomfortable. I know they use a 777 on the Gatwick legs but you may get an airbus of the outbound from Heathrow. If you go on the Emirates web site and look up the timetable they usually tell you the plane that serves that flight so you should be able to see what planes you will be on - thats what I did last year for my four flights with Emirates and we did get exactly the planes that were stated.
Hi

I am seeing a lot of comments on other forums about them giving bad inflight service from all airports.

I might change to BA or Virgin if they are any better !!

Daveyboy

:? :?
If I could get a 777 flight, I would still choose Emirates over BA and Virgin. You get 3" more legroom which makes an enourmous amount of difference and the entertainment system on Emirates is great - kept us amused though two 11hr flights.

If you knew you were going to be on an airbus, I might change to BA. If you do a flight search on expedia they also tell you the type of plane flying the route so you'll beable to find out about those emirates planes there as well.
Emirates new 777ER all have the new ICE entertainment systen on which is magnificent.I am not sure if they are retro fitting older aircraft but would be surprised if they were.We recently flew DXB to BKK on the 777ER and it was excellent.However I do have a gripe about this which is why I always try to fly on the older A330s.The seating on the 77 is 3-4-3 ten across except for the last three rows when it becomes 2-4-2.As far as I am aware they are the only airline to do this.I have flown on many different 777s and they have always been 9 across.Also the 330s are seated 2-4-2 so my wife and I being skywards silver always get 2 together on our own.Problen is from this year from MAN it is all 777s so our only option is to try for the last 3 rows whch they try to reserve for crew rest.Having flown Emirates for the last five years or so I think they have grown too fast.DXB is a nightmare at the moment you hardly ever get a gate and are usually bussed to the terminal hot and sweaty.On our last flight to BKK on approach to DXB we were informed we could not land due to fog(not enough fuel left to hold)so were diverted.We missed our connection and had to queue for 4 hours at the transfer desk to get on the next days flight.They put us up in a hotel but we did not have our usual overnight bag with change of clothes and washbag. As you may see we were not happy bunnies,not the best way to start our holidays.I kept saying"all part of the adventure" to my other half,until I saw that look in her eyes.I then shut up.Rant over

Papa
Flew to Oz from Glasgow with Emirates on Tuesday, part of the package was as it was a 9hr transit, we were to be given a bed in the Emirates wing of the Millenium Hotel. Total shambles, when we got to the coach pick up there was approx. 100 or so people waiting for the transfer, the hotel had one 20 seater coach on, no organisation, fights to get on the coach whenever it returned (every 15min. or so) kids crying and screaming, finally got to our room after 2hrs with a call 4 hrs later to return to the airport. Anyone expecting a smooth transfer be warned, it was'nt worth the hastle, and we at least, wont repeat the exercise in a hurry. It was a pity as the flights themselves were fine it's just a pity we were let down by the transfer shambles Alan
Hi
Has anyone any experience of online check in for Emirates flights?
Any advantage?
We are flying Birmingham to Bangkok via Dubai in March?
Thanks
Regards
Lyn
Used this facility out of Glasgow on route to Oz last month as did my daughter and family a few days ago. It was definatley worthwhile as when we got to check in at Glasgow there was sizeable queues and it was just a case of going up to the dedicated online desk and checking in there as there was no queue at all at it. Of course as this facility becomes more popular this benifit will disappear As far as selecting or changing your seat it's not much good as the majority of them are blocked off as prebooked and the remaining choice is limited. Hopes this helps Alan
Thanks Alan, that's helpful.... has confirmed what I was kind of expecting. Will have to keep fingers crossed for a decent seat. Husband has to work until 4pm on the day of our flight at 8pm ish so hopefully this will help us reduce need to check in so early.
Regards
Lyn
Hello Gramps,
Why did you wait for the bus couldnt you take a cab its only 5mins away????
The taxi queues were huge and I was reluctant to risk the reaction of a taxi driver wit a miniscule journey, instead of a lucrative beach hotel run. I know what the reaction at Heathrow would have been !! Alan
He would have been okay as there is a minimum charge on the meter when you get in easy money for him.
i am flying with emirates flight 332-fjy (aircraft class) ek 008 outbound and 77w-fjy ek 003 inbound does anyone know which aircraft they will be so that i could check seating plans if possible ...thanks
Emso,

The 332fjy is an Airbus A330-200 with 3 cabin classes. Click here for the seating plan.
The 77w-fjy is a Boeing 777-300 with 3 cabin classes. Click here for the seating plan.

Darren
thanks for that , we are travelling as a family of 4 so ithink i will try to get a block in the middle , altogether....i may even try the online checkin :D
does anyone have ant tips as to the best area to choose to sit? thanks in advance :D
Emso,

does anyone have ant tips as to the best area to choose to sit? thanks in advance

Its personal prefference regarding seating. The front (expensive part of an Emirates aircraft!) and the rear seats are more sensitive to the sensation of flight. You'll feel things less over the wing area. It's whatever you prefer. All seats on EK's aircraft are nice, they're a decent airline.

Darren
My Mum aged 82 will be travelling (on her own) from Gatwick to Brisbane via Dubai (change plane) 1 hour 35 minute stop and Singapore (short stop) in August.

Can someone confirm whether her luggage is checked in all the way through to Brisbane. Also are they allowed off the plane in Singapore - 1 hour 15 minute stop.

As you can tell, I am a little worried as this will be by far the furthest she has ever flown. She is also quite deaf even with her hearing aid.

Pippa
At Check-in at Gatwick the luggage would be checked in all the way to the final destination if its the same airline all the way through, even though you change plane at Dubai they would transfer the luggage to the new plane instead of sending it to baggage reclaim.
i would think that everyone would vacate the plane at singapore if its there for 75 mins, even allowing for queueing up to get off and back on it would easily allow you a good half an hour for a stretch etc.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.