Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
English TV
16 Posts
My friend in Portugal has gone on a cruise until April so I can;t ask him. Isn;t anyone on this website watching Tv on the Algarve, where are you all?
Thanks for that Glynis, it certainly clarifies the situation to a degree. I presume that if the ability to view BBC1/2 ITV and C4 was lost forums like this would be very busy with the topic.
Is that different to British TV then?
Sorry Taff, how do you mean is that different from British TV. As I understood it the existing satellite platform transmitting BBC 1 & 2 ITV channels and C4 (channel 5 has already gone) has reached the end of its life and is to be discontinued. Now unless Sky out of the goodness of its heart decides to transmit the same on a free basis they may all be lost. I'm not claiming this as fact or what might happen, I'm not on the Algarve currently that's why I asked the original question.
Jerry

Taff is Welsh, I'm guessing that he is commenting on the use of the words English TV instead of British TV. When there really is no such thing as English TV.
I appreciate what you've said Judith, but given the nature of this forum I would have thought the expression "English" TV referring to language not region was obvious, but I'm sure Taffy wasn't being nationalistic.
jerry49 wrote:
Does anyone else have any info? I shall be out there during the world cup and I might have to watch with no commentary.

If you want to watch the World Cup no need for British TV , .... English TV should suffice ;) :D Well for the first week !!!! I'm in Lanzarote during the WC to see our demise ! Will have to join the Spanish watching their tiki taka
Can anyone out there at the moment confirm that BBC & ITV no longer available on the Sky platform, or at all?
Well I can only assume from the response, 1. Anyone on the Algarve currently isn't watching any TV, 2. This forum isn't being read.
Your answer 2 is correct. Well done!
Well QMAN I think you are right. Ten years ago this was quite a busy forum, its use seems to have fallen away. Perhaps someone knows why, there were always people on here with a thorough knowledge of the Algarve and it looked to be very useful. I claim to know about Lagos having spent time regularly there for 30 years and only too pleased to pass on info.
I have been on here for a while and no one ever reply's even when you do give any info on things they ask. Over the last year Glynis seems to be the only one who ever answers me.
I go on two holidays a year now days but used to go on three or four, there all ways seems to be plenty of people on holiday when I am away, I would think that the ones who are going away don't use this site now days because no one reply's any more, or just use other sites as I do now and again.
As for the T V I always like to see the news on holiday just to see what's going on at home and to see if they are getting the normal wet weather in July/October, and that's it.
I can confirm that none of the BBC channels and none of the ITV1 regional channels can be received on the Sky platform in Southern Portugal. CH5HD, CH4 Ireland, ITV2HD, ITV3HD and ITV4HD can be if the receiver has the appropriate card in. There are dozens of other English language programmes being received on the Sky platform
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.