Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
I think Spain would like to get rid of it but I doubt very much that they can, all EU countries must provide one for their citizens. .
There were cases reported last summer of Spanish hospitals/clinics refusing to accept the EHIC card which led to the European Commission launching legal action against the Spanish government, citing "hundreds" of cases in which foreign holidaymakers needing urgent medical care have been let down. I have not read the results of this action anywhere.

I wouldn't travel with just the EHIC alone I always have additional insurance , it's just not worth the risk.
  • Edited by Judith 2013-12-29 17:44:59
Obviously you can only use them at their 'national health' facilities ie not private hospitals, clinics or Doctors, and it does have to be for emergency treatment. If they don't deem to be an emergency you will be asked to pay.
I have one, but have never used it. If I ever need emergency treatment I use my insurance and go private.

As Judith says, always have comprehensive travel insurance as well.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.