Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Egypt is not in the EEA (European Economic Area) so the EHIC is not valid there.

HERE is a list of all the countries where the EHIC is valid along with information on what it entitles you to in each country.

luci :wave
blondeybear wrote:
hi all its probably a silly question to ask but do i need to take the free european health card with me to sharm i have taken out travel insurance and paid the excess here so i have no worries out there if i get ill thank you in advance :sun2

Errrr what "excess" most insurance packages load Egypt similar or part of Europe --- My insurance is specifically for people with pre-existing conditions and it was actually cheaper for the year (including my uber healthy missuse) than ordinary travel insurance with nottification of medical problems
If you dont mind me asking Gray , who do you use and do you have seperate diving cover or is it adequet on your travel insurance . Ours is up for renewal in the next few days and i've been searching for someone that not only covers my sons condition but is suitable for diving . Currently we use insureandgo but it's not as simple as just doing a comparion search :(
lynwestie wrote:
If you dont mind me asking Gray , who do you use and do you have seperate diving cover or is it adequet on your travel insurance . Ours is up for renewal in the next few days and i've been searching for someone that not only covers my sons condition but is suitable for diving . Currently we use insureandgo but it's not as simple as just doing a comparion search :(

No problems

https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/cgi-bin/lansaweb?procfun+msdweb01+msdw009+alc

it does cover diving and as usual has the diving within your certification get out clause and we paid £150 ish for the YEAR for both of us thats with me needing cover for 2 conditions
Thanks Gray I will take a look at that . So far my sons condition has not faced a policy loading but I always need to tell them and go through the various questions.
hi gray i got TC insurance theres alot of things you have to pay up front for with it problems with luggage for example £75 to see a doctor up to £50 i pay to waive these charges its not much more than if u take out standard and dont pay it , ;)
Lyn

Direct Travel cover diving under certain conditions. Their website is fairly clear and easy to use.

Thanks Luci . Will take a look at that too . I know theres a topic somewhere on Insurance so will have a browse through .Most do cover for diving providing you are qualified but they often differ on depths . Some only go to 20 meters and others 30 . we need 30 . it's hard because insureand go offer a resonably good policy with lots of sports and activities included and an excess waiver but our premium has shot up to over £200 now we needan annual worldwide cover for this year and one son is now over 18 so not covered as a free child. Getting rather expensive so i need to shop around a bit .

lyn
Looks like Direct Travel covers up to 30M at no extra cost if you have the qualification. You can get a quote online if you have no PEMC's.

http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/faq/is-scuba-diving-covered.aspx

Scuba diving cover Scuba (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) diving is becoming more and more popular as a holiday activity. Whether you want to work towards a top scuba qualification, or just feel like having a go while you're away, it's important you check your travel insurance covers you for your scuba diving requirements.

We cover scuba diving at no additional premium. The depth to which we will cover you depends on your qualification. In all cases, diving must be under the direction of an accredited dive marshal, instructor or guide and within the guidelines of the relevant diving or training agency or organisation.
Scuba diving depth limits The depth limits for scuba diving are as follows:
For unqualified scuba divers
(must be with a qualified instructor): 18 metres

For BSAC qualified divers: Ocean Diver: 20 metres;
Sports Diver: 35 metres;
Dive Leader: 50 metres.

For PADI qualified divers: Open Water: 18 metres;
Advanced Open Water: 30 metres;
Advanced Plus: 40 metres;
Deep Diver Specialty: 40 metres.

We are aware that training for the Advanced Plus qualification is no longer available.

Master Scuba divers and Advanced Open Water divers who have undertaken the Deep Diver 'Adventure'/Specialty and are qualified to dive to 40 metres may do so, as per PADI guidelines.

If you hold an equivalent scuba qualification please email us, or call us on 0845 605 2500, with the details so we can agree the depth to which you will be covered. We're open 9am to 8pm, seven days a week.

Hmm that quote with direct was looking good until the last question .

Will you or any member of your party be travelling to Afghanistan, Cuba, Liberia or Sudan during the period covered by this policy?
And the answer is yes we are going to Cuba as well as Egypt . That was a no no . :que :yikes
At least it looks like this might only apply to direct travel. Probably because they are an american company .

http://havanajournal.com/travel/entry/cuba-as-dangerous-as-darfur-direct-travel-insurance-services-thinks-so/

looks like Allclears website is playing up tonight so will check that one tomorrow .
I use Scubasure for diving / travel insurance as there's no limits for qualifed divers up to your dive qualifications. Please make sure you read the small print with standard holiday insurance as many will cover you for scuba diving under Dangerous Sports but will have a clause that says you must be accompanied by an instructor at all times. Even if you are a qualified diver, you need to be with an instructor with some policies. Dive guides are often qualified Divermasters and not instructors so you may find your insurance invalid in some circumstances (seen it lots of times). Make sure you know what you are and aren't covered for.

Darren
Thanks Darren . Will certainly read carefully . Can't be taking any chances with the diving .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.