General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
You'll find the info you need here. Looks like you will have to contact your primary care trust or GP to find out what the NHS would refund.
While the area to renew EHICs has been entered on the website you can only renew six months before your EHIC is due to run out.

The first EHICs run out in Sept 08 so you will be able to renew from 1 April. The DH is planning to do some promotion of this on 1 April to remind everyone to check their EHICs expiry date, which is on the bottom right corner of the card.

Your EHIC is valid until the end of the month on the card.
Welome back DH advice, thanks for the update, and the reminder that first issue EHICs may soon be due (or eligible) for renewal.

David :wave
I got my EHIC card two yrs ago and the expiry date is in 2011 does this sound about right. Dont even know what their use is because when i needed the doctor in cala dor he wouldnt take them, The impression he gave was they were only valid if you had to go to the hospital. Anyone else had this happen with the doctor :think

Kerrie :wave:
Hi Kerrie.

I also got my EHIC a couple of years ago and the expiry date is also 2011.Fortunately I haven't had to use it but a few years ago I had to attend a Hospital in Tenerife as I had broke my hand. Couldn't use the old E111 unless I wanted to travel to a clinic on the other side of the island but my travel insurance covered all the costs.Don't rely solely on the EHIC. I'm sure you always take out travel insurance anyway as it's not just there for flight delays and lost baggage!.

David
Hi David

Yeah we always take out travel insurance as well and had to use it last holiday we had but we didnt know we had to pay upfront and then claim it back when we got home ( that was annoying :rage ) I put a question up about insurance (cant remember were now :really Think i am losing the plot :roll: ) but i wanted to know if anyone knew who was doing the cheapest insurance for a family of 4 ( 2A and 2Ch )with no health problems.

Anyone who could advise would be great :tup
Kerrie
:whoops Sorry found my post about insurance. Guess where...... Yep you got it its in the insurance topic :rofl
Hi Kerrie.

I was lucky, I didn't have to pay a penny up front.All dealt with thru' the insurance company.
Try elephant.co.uk or gocompare for insurance prices.I THINK they do travel insurance.

David
Hi

Can I ask that you to keep insurance related posts in the insurance topic please? This is so that members looking for information on the EHIC can find it easily.

Thanks.

luci :wave
Thanks Dave Dee for the info and sorry luci for putting it in the wrong place :duh

I was just wondering if its safe to get your EHIC card off the net as they want all your most important details including NI number and date of birth although i know they need this info but what if the info fell into the wrong hands :omg.

My elsest son needs one as we as a family of 5 but 4 of us have ours and i did it on the net a couple of yrs ago and all was fine but i dont remember putting the NI in although i think i must have done. Maybe i am just more aware of identity fraud now.
Has anyone any advise about if its safe to do so or not :think

Thanks

kerrie
If you order your EHIC via the Department of Health website, dh.gov.uk/travellers, then it's as safe as anything can be these days. If you are still worried then you can always use the phone to order an EHIC by calling 0845 606 2030.

You may not have used your NI number last time as you can use your NHS number as well
Hi DH

I must have used my NI number as i dont no my NHS number :rofl ( i am hopeless)

Thanks for your reply

Kerrie :tup
ive just done ours well yesterday quite complicated running around finding NHS numbers etc!
Is EHIC any good in Turkey, can't remember if it was Turkey or Egypt but the old one wasn't anygood in one of them? :que
Got my own travel insurance, but this one is recommended as well for instant cover I beleive? :think

We're going in 2 weeks,

Thanks

gussiebaby
Hi gussiebaby .. the EHIC is not valid in Turkey, and there are no reciprocal healthcare agreements with the UK.

Thanks David,
Thought it was one or the other from last visit, but didn't want to guess. I'd have probably only got it wrong :whoops

cheers
gussiebaby
gussiebaby ... just in case you're ever going to Egypt, it isn't valid there either. :lol:
Hi David,
We went to Egypt last year and Turkey the year before, so didn't have one for either :duh

Must be in my holiday problem panic mode, and we've still 2 weeks to go :rofl Thanks anyway, that's one of my 'shouldn't have bothered to worry' items off my check list :wave:
gussiebaby
Just renewed our EHIC cards online and it took less than 2 minutes. I was one of the first to get the original as I applied as soon as I was able to. As has been said earlier, the first issued ones expire in September and you could apply for renewal from 1 April.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.