General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
It's worth trying, but if they describe it as a processing fee for example, then you may be ineligible for a refund as they will have processed your application, even if they didn't issue what you applied for. These unofficial sites usually make the charge for processing or handling your application, rather than for the card itself. As the EHIC card itself is free, no refund is due in relation to that if they don't issue the card.

Just a reminder to anyone else who may be applying for an EHIC ... please do not use search engines or click on any adverts which may attach themselves to this topic, or you may end up with an unofficial website which charges you for the privilege of processing what you can obtain free of charge from the official EHIC/NHS site ... full contact details in my post on page 1 of this topic.

David :wave
Well the baby's card arrived yesterday. I'm not sure yet whether I've been charged for it I will have to look next time I visit the bank. At least the card is here :tup Thanks again everyone.
hi marlou...glad its come...one thing less to worry about :) ...tweetie

ps...scan/print all your cards...if you loose them you have a copy of it with your numbers ect on ...also do your passports ...and keep them together in a different place from the originals
TWEETIE PIE wrote:
ps...scan/print all your cards...if you loose them you have a copy of it with your numbers ect on ...also do your passports ...and keep them together in a different place from the originals

Plus you can email them to yourselves, after scanning, in case everything goes missing :tup
hi Glynis..... :tup ....thought it was only me emailed themselves...nice to know I have company.....you dont by any chance talk to yourself as well :rofl ...tweetie

ps ...I email any information I dont want to forget to myself
hi Glynis..... ....thought it was only me emailed themselves...nice to know I have company.....you dont by any chance talk to yourself as well ...tweetie

ps ...I email any information I dont want to forget to myself

me and other half always email ourselves in case
My son introduced me to an excellent programme recently called 'dropbox'. It is an internet file where you can 'drop' any personal documents into and get access to them anywhere at any time with your own personal password. I think it's great to put in your travel documents, e tickets, confirmation invoices etc

https://www.dropbox.com/
Personally, I wouldn't trust any site like Dropbox with my sensitive data/info, such as my passport or travel documents with my name/address etc on it, and I suggest if you do, you read their T&C's first regarding what information they can see, who they can share it with and who they are legally bound to share it with.
They might say it's 'safe', but what does 'safe' mean? Safe that they won't lose it or safe that nobody else can see it.?

If you're on BT, you can use their 'vault' which is part of your package and 'free' up to a certain amount of storage, and if you're on option 3, you get something called 'auto back-up', otherwise on option 1 and 2 you have to use the vault every 90 days or the files are deleted.
You can/could create a folder called 'Holidays' and back-up all your documents in one place, where you can access them via your BT username and password from any computer, and it's a good idea just in case your computer decides to die and go to cyberspace heaven...and as you've already given BT a certain amount of information with your account, that's it, so they don't want any of the information others sites want.

Sanji
Doesn't look like I've been charged which is good. Couldn't see anything on my bank statement anyway :)
Good to see the EHIC remains such a vital topic of conversation on the forum. it really is an essential for just about all European travel and can save you an awful lot of cash and trouble in the event of medical problems.

Such is its importance we've actually done a blog post about it with the latest round up of everything you need to know and direct links to apply for the card without paying a penny so do have a look at it:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/blog/the-european-health-insurance-card-ehic-six-things-know/
Just a heads up to check the expiry date on your EHIC card. Ours runs out in June before our Spanish holiday so need to sort :tup
Issues with EHIC cards being accepted in Spain. It was on last weeks Watchdog
I’m visiting Cyprus on holiday again soon and have some questions concerning the EHIC card.

The reason I ask is that, when I was in Tenerife earlier this year , I managed to pick up an eye infection. Normally I’d just pay for a consultation and treatment under the private system.
However, this time I had my EHIC with me and decided to try using it. I found the local public medical centre, showed my card and passport, and filled in some paperwork.
After about a 30 minute wait I was seen by a doctor who wrote a prescription for me. There was no charge at the medical centre and only a very small charge for the prescription at the pharmacy
– I assume because I’m over 65.
The whole experience was very positive and I found the service extremely efficient. I know it saved me a considerable amount of cash not having to pay a private doctor for a consultation. These days, most times, travel insurance policy excesses mean that you end up paying things out of your own pocket.

So – to my questions.
Can I expect the Cypriot system to work the same?
On a webpage
http://www.moh.gov.cy/MOH/MOH.nsf/All/F8B5861FC3801B6C422579D7003EEFB8?OpenDocument

it suggests that there are doctor visit fees to be paid of maybe 20 euros
- unless you are the President of Cyprus (!) – though other websites say it is 2 euros with the EHIC.

How do I locate a public doctor in Cyprus should I need one?
That was the most difficult bit in Spain – tour reps and hotel staff will pass you straight into the private system – it was a friendly pharmacist who told me how to find the public centre.

I hasten to add – hopefully I’m not going to get sick in any way – but I reckon that a lot of folk on HT would be interested to know how well the EHIC actually works in different countries, since there can be big cost savings over the private systems and paying travel insurance excesses.

(I do agree EVERYONE should take out travel insurance though – it’s essential for other problems and the horror of possible need for repatriation)
Just bumping this topic as a reminder, because I remember a lot of members applying for renewal of their card at the same time as me.

I'd completely forgotten about the expiry date and watching the TV this morning ( Rip off Britain) somehow it jogged my memory.
Mine expires in April...So, I nearly got caught out because we are going away in April .
I've just applied for new one on-line.

Sanji x
The phone number on first link doesn't work it is now 0300 330 1350
Just renewed mine.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.