General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
we applied for ours recently as my 11 year old son is going to france next month with his school, and it was they that insisted he had this card, whilst applying I also ordered one for me, the wife and our eldest lad, all 4 cards turned up in 3 days, We were really impressed, I hope turkey accept them soon as we don,t go anywere else normally, still we have them now,
Before seeing this thread I was not aware of such a card,had always thought holiday insurance covered it.
Glad to say I applied online and got the cards for my wife and myself 3 days later.
We asked the trvael agent if we needed them and was told not but I would much rather have them and never need them than reverse.
Many thanks for posting this and making us aware.

Alan.
I ticked the box on last years E111 but no cards turned up.

Phoned helpline and was advised quickest way was to apply online. Applied online two and a half weeks ago for 5 cards but only one turned up! :roll:

Have phoned again this morning as we go on hols in 5 days and they have no trace of the other applications!

They are sending out cards asap but cant be sure I'll have them in time for hols. They have given me a phone no to use if a member of my family needs treatment and the cards havent arrived in time. If I ring this no then paperwork will be faxed to the hospital (or wherever) showing we are entitled to treatment under the scheme.

I cant understand how only one application shows up on their records when I sat and applied for the five, one after each other...
Do you need a card each?
My husband applied applied for one last year when he got our E111. The E111 was for both of us and only one card showed up (after our holiday last year) so we assumed one card covered Hubby and his family (ie me)
Hi Zeberdee

yes you need a card for each member of the family

Biff
Del

I have passed your post over to the people that look after the website and they will check the system. Please note that if you use a direct link to the EHIC site there can be problems as there are two, just to make sure we can maintain the service 24/7. The best way of online ordering is to go through the DH website. Over 50% of EHICs are ordered on line and with the numbers involved there is always the chance that something can go wrong.

We have now issued between 17 and 18 million EHICs and for the last few months we have been issuing a million a month.
hi just booked up a d.i.y holiday 2 sirene beach in ixia rhodes just wanted to knw if any body as been there and if they can tell me wat its like being my frst tme abroad thanx Hayley
Hi Hayley ... unfortunately you are in the wrong topic and forum. Please click HERE for our Rhodes forum.

David :wave
hi

just for a recent update about EHIC timescales - I applied online on sunday and have received cards today ( thurs )

very easy process from start to finish - just hope we don't have to use them!

caroline
Just applied on line for ours and got an email confirmation almost immediately. Great service.
I found the service REALLY good, I ordered them for me and my boyfriend and got them about three days later. I think that is quite impressive.
I applied for ours around 1.30pm on Friday - they arrived this morning. Very impressed.
We have just posted the following on the DH Website:

Applying for an EHIC online

The Department of Health is the only organisation that can provide a genuine European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

An EHIC is a government service that is provided for free by the Department of Health, working with the NHS Prescription Pricing Authority (PPA).

We are aware that an unauthorised website is charging applicants for handling EHIC applications. The Department of Health and the PPA do not manage this service and there is no guarantee that you will receive a genuine EHIC if you use this site.

To ensure you receive a genuine EHIC for free, apply through the PPA's website.

The links that have previously been posted on this site are fine.
Thanks for that warning DH :tup
Can i just reiterate about the EHIC.
This card is for use only within the NHS system. If you go to a private clinic or hospital they cannot accept your EHIC - much like if you go to a doctor in Harley Street or a BUPA hospital you wouldn't expect the NHS to pay for your consultation (unless its by special arrangement by your health authority under the choose and book scheme).

The EHIC does not replace travel insurance, as in that it wont cover loss of baggage, flying you home after an emergency operation whilst on your holidays etc. It is only for emergency and necessary treatment within the EU and not for a hip operation that you have found can be done in Spain quicker than in the UK (for example)
So, if I udnerstood this right, this replacement is only for citizens of countries who are members of the European Union?

Even more importantly, for me, I' from Norway, the E111 card is still in use? Any idea?
Hi oinkage ... the list of applicable countries has been extended since the EHIC scheme was first introduced. As far as UK citizens are concerned, the EHIC is valid in European Economic Area (EEA) countries, which includes European Union (EU) nations plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. (UK visitors to Switzerland are covered by a separate reciprocal healthcare arrangement).

I am not familiar with the EHIC scheme which operates within Norway, but I believe it also covers Norwegian citizens visiting EEA/EU nations, but not Switzerland. You may have to clarify that with your local health service.

A revised list of countries operating within the EHIC scheme is shown on page 1 of this thread.

OK, thanks for your help!
Further to the warning from DH Advice about the unauthorised website issuing these cards. I have just been listening to a BBC "You and Yours" feature about this company.

When you Google "EHIC Card", the first link you see is the one from this company, this is because they pay Google to have this sponsored link. When you click onto the link you will be asked to give a lot of personal information, including your NH number and bank details. You will then be asked for a fee of £15 for the card. The company is based in Ireland and its website is based in Bulgaria. So beware !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.