Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Personally havn't used a TC in years.

These days I use ATM's which are everywhere, and back Sterling Cash should I need it.

And tell the bank before you are travelling as they will stop your card!
Good advice Sam about telling your bank prior to travelling. I met two people this year who had to contact their banks as it had be been stopped.

The first person I met was a Kiwi on his way to Bali via MEL. We got chatting in the departure lounge then he went off. He was away ages and I could see him on the phone. When he returned he said he'd been to the ATM and couldn't get any money out so he was literally stuck with nothing and no money to pay VOA or buy any food or drink on the 6 hour flight. He asked me to lend him some money and he would repay me. I gave him $50 and a ham and salad roll from our 'play lunch' (Jetstar allow you to take your own food on board). He took the money and the butty and I waited and waited for him to ask for an address to send it back. He never asked!! I saw him in the arrivals hall at DPS and he made no attempt to speak to me.

My husband is still shaking his head (at me not him) .... shame really as it spoils it for others who are genuinely in trouble.
Actually this case is good one for considering TC's as Hovis does not have a credit card which we use for emergency situations. If you take cash and it gets nicked then its gone, at least with TC's you have a chance of getting reimbursed in such a situation
Yes you make a good point Sunbear, I think that I'll take a small amount in Sterling TCs just in case.

Also I'd like to know how easy is it changing a 500 baht or 1000 baht note ?
Is it better to carry low value notes ?

Post Office rate of exchange yesterday was 48.9 but on Oanda.com where I can print out a cheat sheet it is 53
I take it that the rate of exchange is better in Thailand.
Just returned from thailand

Took cash (In Baht - £250) and took £500 travellers cheques in GBP. travellers cheques really easy to cash in many places even up to 8pm. They charge about 30 baht (£0.60p) per travellers cheque (ours were £50 TC) plus 8 baht (£0.16p tax) in the bank we used and we got 54.8 baht per pound - whereas the cash exchange was 55.4 - i.e. pennies difference. As has been said the security of TC is also good as they can be replaced in 24 hours if stollen.

changing 500 and 1000 baht notes is easy, its only the equivelent of £10 and £20 pounds

really good point about telling the bank as we didnt and the ATM refused until we rang the bank and explained where we were which took half and hour and and £8 phone call!!
Just got back from Bangkok and Cambodia and all the ATM we used all charged 4 dollar's for each transaction, guess we got away with it for to long.
just noticed travelex are doing a top up card through visa to use in atms doesnt say what currency are involved are these a good idea as we travel in 5 weeks i really need to no whats safest way to exchange money and not pay to much commission
I would do some research into pre-paid credit cards as they are known. There are numerous companies offering these including the Post Office, Thomas Cook, etc. Some are better than others as they have different fees and terms attached to them. Some of them you have to pay if you don't use after a certain period.

Ones I have seen recommended are Fairfx, Caxton and NetTeller, but you need to read the T&C's carefully.

Have a look HERE, but I would suggest searching on that site as there is probably a better topic which explains how they works and the fees involved.

luci :wave
In addition many of the Thai banks charge 150 Thai Baht - approx 3 pounds - for each use of the ATM. This is in addition to any charges imposed by the card issuer. Some of the banks don't do it - though the cash point I used on our holiday (TMB ) did. No choice as it was the only ATM within a reasonable distance from the resort.

Might be an idea if others could list bank ATM's they know of that don't impose the charge.
I am wondering if I am right in thinking that the Thai Baht is 'pegged' to the US Dollar, so for example if the USD is a higher rate then the Thai Baht will be higher too, does anyone know please, I am off to Thailand in November and I usually buy money early to put away.
not sure but one thing I've found- using an Amex has given me far more favourable rates than elsewhere.
It used to be tied to the dollar but has been a floating currency for more than a decade. However the days of ninety baht to the pound have gone I'm afraid. I was getting 52 to the pound in January but see pounds slipped to 48 approx. Still when I first went to Thailand it was 35baht to the pound.
Thanks Sunbear, I enquired yesterday and the rate was 46 , will wait a while just incase it gets better :think
Crown Exchange were offering a little under 50 baht to the pound before I went three weeks ago, I got something like 48.65 I think

TC
Shirley - don't change a lot of baht in advance, unless the exchange rate shoots back up again to the mid 50s. You'll get a better rate changing money when you are in Thailand than in the UK.
We are going to Thailand in July/August and cannot decide the best way to take money.
Are the pre-paid cards easy to use there, ours is a Maestro card. Or shall we just take cash and a credit card. We was going to change a little into Bhat before we go so we have money when we arrive. I know the post office do pre-paid cards as do Thompson, but we don't want to get there and find they are difficult to use.
Thanks. :tup
They do not recommend the use of the pre paid card in Thailand!! I had a memo through (I work for Thomson) and it is one of the countries they advised us not to sell it for :que I usually take good old travellers cheques, there are banks and exchange booths in all resorts.
I am wondering about the best way to take money to Thailand. Been put off taking a pre-paid card But I do not like the idea of taking all cash, as we are moving around the island, but will be mostly staying in Koh Samui. How easy to use are travellers cheques and is is best to get sterling or dollar cheques.
Or any other suggestions on the best way to take money.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.