Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
These trips can be booked through your tour operator once in Egypt, perhaps in advance too, or through a local tour company in Sharm.

This link to the Longwood excursions pages will give you an idea of what is available and the cost.
Remember you will need a visa if travelling to Cairo and the pyramids - this is not necessary if you stay in the Sharm area only. Visas can be bought at the airport on arrival, in advance from the consulate in London, or you tour operator may arrange it when you decide to do their trip. At the airport is likely to be a little cheaper than this - and probably the easiest.
we are going to sharm on the 18th march for the first time for a week. Can anyone recomend any excursions baring in mind my 5 year old son will be with us. I dont want water excursions but anything else that will be fun. I have looked on a sight called charm of sharm that does excursions, does anyone know it and would these be the type of prices we can expect to pay. Do you think the cairo or luxor by air would be too much for a little one.

Thanks Diane.
Hi,we were thinking of doing a day trip to Cairo but instead of booking through a tour operator were thinking of doing it ourselves how easy/hard would this be?
We were going to fly Egypt air to Cairo and book a local guide,has anyone done this?
Any info would be great,cheers Mark.
Hi,

Im no way near being an expert but I'll tell you what were doing anyway..were going to Sharm in 2 weeks time and weve booked flights to Cairo through EgyptAir website (£108 return for 4 people!!) Then weve booked a tour guide seperatley for a total of £85..this includes the tour guide meeting us at Cairo airport,taking us round the sights in an air conditioned mini bus/van..all entrance fees, huge lunch, travel back to airport to catch return flight back to Sharm. If you want me to let you have an email address for the tour guide weve booked,send me a PM.

Im certain others will be along soon with much much better advice for you,im a complete novice..never been to Egypt before so am well excited!!!

Helen x
Away from the Pyramids!!!!

Has anyone done the coloured canyon???????

If so ------------how strenous is it??????????

Thinking of maybe doing it in Aug--------early start- but even so---will it be roasting?????????

Thought it might be a walk through the cliffs-------but-is alot of climbing involved??????? :oops: :oops:
Hi Again, I advise you to try to book your own domestic fligh from Sharm to Cairo online with http://www.egyptair.com This would be much cheaper option for you as there have been some Great flights deal in recent month. When searching for flights make sure you enter Egypt as the country in the box at the top of the webpage. these will be domestic flights remember.

For Cairo look for a flight arrive about 8-9am and departing between 7-8.30pm.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Moudi.
no problems, is this your 1st trip to sharm if so and you enjoy the sea :fish you might like Tiran island and the Ras mohammed, the boat trips stop about 3 times and you have lunch for about £17 bargain.
i've got to wait till Feb before i go back, cant wait more so when i look out at the weather we are having
Hi,

Just booked to go to Shram El Sheikh and we are wanting to do a few excersions like to Cario(Pyramids,Sphinx,Museum), Luxor to see the Valley of the Kings and Abu Simbel would all this be possible from Shram El Sheikh? We are wanting to fly.

Has anyone done all of these?

I'm just wondering how much roughly it would cost? are the entrance fee's included to like the Museum, Pyramids in the price or is that seperate?

Also when you book these trips either through rep or egyptair or when over there by looking around do you get a tour guide?

Sorry for all the questions but never been to Egypt before and just want to have a great Holiday.
Hi, I have done all of the trips you mentioned.
I have done the rep trips and in all honesty hated them.
I know do DIY trips.

Book flight with egyptair(put Egypt as your home country)
Flight to Cairo is about £30+ return
Flight to Luxor is about £35+ return
Book early for the best prices and be flexible with dates. Friday is a good day to visit Cairo as the traffic is a lot less.

I then book a guide online to meet me at the airport. I have used two different companies. One is Luxor based but does Cairo too and the other is Cairo based and only does Cairo. I will not put up their websites as I am a new poster on here and do not want to go against any rulings I don't know about!

I, last year, also went to Abu Simbel. I again booked flights with Egyptair but I was based in Luxor at the time. I paid under £60 return. There are no direct flights so I had to book Luxor to Aswan then Aswan to Abu Simbel. Sounds difficult but it wasn't. Flying time in total was 2 hours with a short wait to transfer from Aswan to Abu Simbel flight. It was definitely worth it and I would gladly go again.
From Sharm however it is not so easy. You would have to fly to Cairo then fly from Cairo to Abu Simbel maybe even having to change planes at Aswan. I priced up some dates a while ago and the cost is a lot more than I paid from Luxor plus the quickest time was 7 hours! So maybe being Cairo or Luxor based is the way to go.
You do not need transport as Egyptair lay on free coaches to take you to the temples and return you back to the airport. You also do not need a guide at the temples as there is a room which explains all about them at the entrance. Cost to visit last year was 80LE, which is under £8.

Your rep will have most trips on offer and just for example my rep , Thomsons, prices were Cairo £175 per person and Luxor £170(or thereabouts) per person. These tours are not private tours as you will probably be with others.

Hope this helps
Should of also said that you are normally taken to the Valley of the Kings, Luxor temple, Colossi of Memnon , Queen Hatshepsut's temple and maybe 1 hour on a felucca.
If you get your own guide you can pick where you want to go. I highly recommend Medinat Habu and Karnak temple...time permitting.
Hi
i am thinking of doing a 2 day trip for Cairo & Luxor

The trip is as fiollows :

SHARM - CAIRO - DAY 1
CAIRO - LUXOR - DAY 2
LUXOR - SHARM - DAY 2

I have been quoted £180 uk pounds per adult including overnight stay in Cairo
includes all air fares and guide etc ..

Is this a good price for this trip?

If not can anyone recommend any other company
There will be 2 adults and 1 child aged 12 , although most companies class him as adult now

or is is better to do the trip as 2 seperate days, rather than doing it as an overnight 2 day trip
Hi Raylight, so the cost of your trip would be 3 X £180 = £540?
I have been to Sharm, Cairo and Luxor so this is my preferred itinerary ....You don't say what dates you are going BUT here is one that I priced up recently!!!....

12th may Sharm to Cairo arrive 0850 do a day sightseeing in Cairo then back to the airport for flight to Luxor arrive 1950
13th may - Lazy day to relax and rest by the pool and maybe go to the museum and town early evening.
14th may - Sightseeing in Luxor starting around 7am then evening flight to Sharm arrive 2230
total cost £75.15 per adult booking with egyptair putting egypt as your home country for the best prices. Use the multi destination selection for these flights.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guide cost for Cairo is around the £50+ mark but you would have to pay entrance fees and lunch. Lunch is only a few pounds each and entrance fees should be around the £15 mark pp depending on what you are seeing. Main sights are Giza Pyramids, Sphinx, Cairo museum, Mosque and Khan El Khalili market. The guide will meet you at Cairo airport , show you round Cairo then transfer you back to the airport for the £50 price.
Hotel cost for Luxor for 3 adults Bed and Breakfast (your 12 year old is classed as an adult) would be around the £30 mark for 2 nights for a good 3 star or around £47 for a good 5 star. This is the total cost NOT per person. I used the travelrepublic site.
Guide and transport in Luxor is around £90 for the day which DOES include pick up ,entrance fees and lunch. I use reallifeegypt who are Luxor based. Usual sights would include Valley of the Kings, Medinat Habu , Colossi of Memnon, Queen Hatshepsut's temple, Luxor temple and/or Karnak temple.
Maybe you would like to do a hot air balloon ride? Early start but fantastic to do. I paid last year £30 pp. Or maybe an afternoon mini cruise on a felucca along the Nile? Would cost roughly £5 for 1 hour.
The other expenses would be a couple of pounds for a taxi from Luxor airport to your hotel and of course your meals.
So rough cost of this trip excluding the meals and tax £441
Not much difference in what you are paying BUT this would be my own itinerary and me picking my own private guides. Lots of people do it this way BUT that isn't meant to sound like you are doing the wrong thing! Just another option for you to explore.
It really is easy to arrange all this yourself online.

No matter what you do I hope you have a fantastic time....Egypt is my favourite place I have visited so far and there really is so much to see.

Hope this helps
Karen
Am interested in the £180 per person tour, who has quoted this? My last quote from an egyptian tour company was 355 EUR per adult which is considerably more. Real egypt has loads of good reviews but don't know whether I can be bothered with finding the flights/accomodation etc. with and 8 year old in tow.
My friend is off to Sharm next month and wants to go to Cairo. I think she want not only to go to the pyramids but also to the museums etc.
Can anyone advise what kind of price she would be looking at? She wants to fly there and maybe do an overnight stay in a hotel.
Is there anyway this can be booked online? Has anyone experience of local companies offering this kind of trip....it is alway nicer to book with the "local man" and cut out the tour operators if possible....would it be safe and more importantly sensible to do so?
Lorraine
just to help along...
Rep prices from about £150
Local agent prices from about £110
These are for a day trip...adding on a hotel would be around £40 extra I would think and probably extra charge for the guide.
The better option and one that I do is book everything myself online.
Book with egyptair for a flight using 'egypt' as your home country. I did one last year and cost was £35 return.
Guides - lots of different prices. The one I use is around £55 per person which includes pick up and drop off, private guide, transport, lunch and all entrance fees.
I have been to cairo twice and done both as daytrips.
To give your friend an idea here is one of my itineraries...
Giza pyramids
Solar boat museum
Sphinx
Khan El Khalili market
Cairo museum
I booked my flight to arrive by 9am and left at 9pm.

If an overnight is wanted it is easy to book online with the likes of travelrepulic , alpharooms etc.

Hope this helps
Kazl
How much is it to go to Valley of the Kings
Trawled through this thread and couldn't see anything :)
Thanks in advance
Georgia x
Hi
I booked through Charm of Sharm / Heroes in August
135 per adult 120 per child
This was for a private trip and included airport transfers , flights , entrance fees to VoK, Hatshephut, Karnak , felucca ride on the nile (which we didn't do - Too Hot :tongue went to guides local cafe for coffee and shisa instead ) and lunch (not drinks)
It was just the 4 of us plus driver and guide in the car and worth every penny
I think FC were charging 160 per adult
HTH
Lally
I wanted to say that on our return trip to Sharm last week, we wanted to go to Luxor for the day again and see the sights we didn't see last time. So I followed the advice on here and booked flights with Egyptair and a private tour with Real Life Egypt. It all went smoothly, apart from the great heat, which couldn't be helped. Egyptair planes were new and modern and you pre-booked your seats when booking the tickets. We had dinner in the evening before our flight at 'Sofra' an Egyptian restaurant in Luxor, and I recommend it. So thanks for the help given on this site.
I am glad that we could help and that you had a great time in my favourite Egyptian destination, Luxor :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.