Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
That is pretty steep ....

We are taking the car next week, 3 separate weeks in 3 separate resorts across France and Spain, and even with fuel, tolls, accom, and channel crossing, i'm not much over a grand!

These companies are beginning to price themselves out of the market i'm afraid!!
personally i think its still cheap enough if you can go other than school hoildays , also guaranteed free child places if you book early enough will draw people . We have had great holidays with Ferris and i for one would not like to see them fold , so fingers crossed there are enough out there that will keep booking with them .
Has any one else had their ferris's brochure , what do you think of the prices for next year ?
We first experienced Ferris Holidays in 2001, a gang of us went on a fourteen day, eleven night half board special. The price then for my wife, seven year old and me was around £600.00, viewing the current brochure the same holiday is still under £700.00. If you have got young children the price is hard to beat. I am not a keen flyer but I put up with it, if it was down to me I would still be travelling with Ferris, times change and the family are looking at different destinations.
Pancho do you go out of school holidays times and also book hotel specials, as i really could not believe that to book a hotel or apartments during school hols which i have to have because of work works out a lot dearer than a flying holiday . I did notice that for the Hotel Papi Ferris has put an apology in about the price increase due to hoteliers ..... for the dates i would be booking £769.per person for a coach holiday thats way over the top i personally think . As i said in previous posts as a family we had great holidays with Ferris and used them in total 9 times . Like you i am not a keen flyer and also put up with it , i know look at it like that after 4 hours i could be at my destination and still not have all that travelling to do . i would still recommend ferris to others and say give them a try ...dont knock it til you try it .
Going on mini cruise from Portsmouth to Bilbao and then down to Costa Brava. two nights on boat then coming back, one night boat and one night in Bilbao( Santurtzi)We are a bit confused about the luggage. They say one case 15kg each, one hand luggage and one overnight case. The main cases go in the hold and the hand luggage at your feet and the overnight bags under the seat. It is the overnight bag each that is causing the problems, is there room under the seat or overhead ?
We have never been with Ferris before so we have no idea what the space is.
I would be very grateful for any info as I don't want to have to sit with my overnight case on my knee and they seem very strict with the luggage weight and size.
if coach goes on board then i would say 15kg luggage stays on coach and you wont be able to access that until you get to your destination i would say your overnight bag should contain your things that you will need whilst on board change of clothing and toiletries, there is enough room in the over head lockers or under your seat aslong as you are sensible , hand luggage i would say would be just your handbag .
We went on the Bilbao ferry for the mini cruise at Easter. I would imagine your cases will come off the coach. You need 2 sleeps to get to Spain so you will want more than an overnight bag. Also you need to change your clothes for the evening as there is cabaret so you wouldn't want to stay in your travelling clothes. Just my opinion. We just did the round trip Friday to Monday. We got on the ferry Friday night and didn't get off until Sunday lunchtime. We should have docked at 8.00 am but we were delayed so only got 2 hours before we had to get back on.
Our cases stay on the coach as we are going from Bilbao to the Costa Brava for six days and then one night in Santurzi and one night on the boat back. Thanks for the tips. I am sure it will sort itself out. Ferris say the overnight bag goes on the coach so we will try to take as little as we get away with otherwise there will be no room for our feet :(
Thanks
Hi, the last time i went on a ferris holiday was 8 years ago and always went on half board specials as we always seemed to get the nice hotels. I have recently booked to go away with ferris again on a half board special holiday i was just wondering if anyone has been on one recently and what kind of hotels were up for grabs? Also has the journey changed at all or is it still as fun as ever?
friends went a couple of times in last 6 months and got olympic calella both times.
when i went down on the coach 3 weeks ago most people were in booked hotels, but the only ones i knew that were on AOA got the olympic.
coaches were only half full both ways, but they did play bingo and we got 2 or 3 videos each way.

fun :think :think :think
just back from travelling to malgrat with ferris in their new coach.
they have ordered 3 new coaches for next year, or so i was told, and they are like the sieata coaches with 2 staircases; one at the front and one in the middle making getting off at stops a bit easier.
the new coach is a lot more comfortable than the current platinum one, but it does have the foot rests like siesta which some people like. it does not have individual seat entertainment system like siesta, but the same system as their current coaches.
i was also told that mr ferris is now totally fed up with people not paying the extra to travel on the platinum coaches, but still expecting to travel on them, that he is making changes to the t&cs for next year so that if you don't pay the supplement you will get what you pay for.
about time!
The 2012 Ferris brochure has just arrived in the post filling me with nostalgia. We have had many a happy family holiday on the coach with my family and the in-laws. The standard of the document has improved and the prices just as competitive, for any family who has not tried this trip you are missing a treat it is along journey but a wonderful adventure. Money is supposed to be tight at the moment but this is a very affordable holiday.
Haven't been with Ferris for a few years now but hope i get the 2012 brochure to have a look at , going to have a look online fingers crossed its on
ok i had my first ferris holiday this month,chose the platinum coach for optimum comfort.... DISSAPOINTED!! The holiday itself was lovely but never again will i book with ferris or on one of their supposedly luxury coaches.
first of all the seats are horrendous,all you are paying for is a little extra leg room,the tv was dark n dingy n could not see the screen properly,they showed same films both way of the journey,i had the middle screen just above my head which was almost touching my head, in the middle of the night the drop down screen would not stop wirring as if it was trying to come down,the toilets were for number ones only and in 12 hours the drivers only made three 5 minute stops and no where near any public toilet so we had a fellow traveller in extreme pain dying to do a number 2!! the drivers only stopped finally at midnight once alot of passengers complained they had not eaten a meal and then when we did stop EVERYTHING that served food was obviously shut!!! alot of people even 3 ladies who travel with ferris every year were complaining and are writing complaint letters.
I have never felt so uncomfortable,even the service lady got off the coach 6 hours early so no drinks were being served,and the drinks they did offer were cheap nasty tasteless drinks!!
i could go on for a lot longer but just to top it all off when me and my fiance got off the coach after 26 hours of horrendous travel we found our ankles to be infested with fleas!!!!!!!
I would write to ferris myself but i know it would do no good...NEVER AGAIN WILL I BOOK WITH FERRIS
first of all, if the journey home was that bad then write to ferris to complain.
nothing will get put right if nobody complains.
the fact you were covered in fleas should certainly be brought to their attention, even if it is just to try and make it better for other future travellers (like me!!!)
the fact that there were so few stops on the way back would indicate that they left the resorts very late and were trying to catch up time, but if the toilet was not working properly then there should have been more stops, not less.normally on the way back the drivers are trying to get the early ferry from calais and do quite often try to limit the stops so you get maybe only 1 half hour stop and one or two 15 minute stops. when i have travelled back the driver normally gives you an indication of when they intend to stop, and for how long, you normally get the last stop at midnight and then they go straight to calais to arrive at around 6am, so you get stops at around 8pm and midnight, and depending when you leave resort you get a stop around 4-5pm.surprised your stops were not at service stations, and this should also be raised with ferris.
i know that some of the drivers can be a law unto themselves, and that some of them do not appear to put the customers first, but normally a word with the courier/hostess/tealady normally gets things like the stops sorted.they should certainly be prepared to change the dvd if it was shown on the way down.
please contact mr ferris with these complaints, as that is the only way to get these matters sorted and it will help other travellers, and other members on here.
3 x 5 min stops in twelve hours ? how did they manage without stopping for fuel ???? Was it the same two drivers all the way through ?
beefy666 wrote:
3 x 5 min stops in twelve hours ? how did they manage without stopping for fuel ???? Was it the same two drivers all the way through ?

They normally, on the return journey home, stop off in Narbonne for 15/30 minutes, driver change in Nimes, and evening stop outside Montelimar for 45 mins. It's basically straight to Calais from Montelimar with minor fuel stops during the early hours of the morning. 3 x 5 minute stops I think is an exaggeration. I've travelled with Ferris 9 times and those stops in Narbonne and Montelimar have been exactly the same. Nothing has changed. On the way down to Spain they stop off in Reims for 30ish minutes and then evening stop just past Troyes for 45 mins. Through the night fuel stops, driver change in Nimes, breakfast stop outside Garrigas then onto Costa Brava.
hmmm they dont call them the welsh airforce for nothing
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.