Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
They only seem to do pickups in the South East and also it doesn't mention much details about the fleet. It is about like Northern Holidays in that respect.

I just see no reason why not to stick with Ferris, they are very cheap, nice new comfortable coaches etc. My only criticism of Ferris is you do feel a bit like just a number.

Edit just found out something interesting about Northern Holidays, it seems they don't actually run the coaches them selves, they use Siesta.

http://www.northern-holidays.com/sys/book/itineraries.php?i=1

Since they are quite a bit cheaper than Siesta, I suspect it is the none premium Siesta coaches they use. Seems a lot slower than Ferris too the pick up is 4:30am and it gets you there around dinner time the next day. Compared with 6:45am pickup and 10:00am (ish) arrival with Ferris.

I suspect with Northern it will be one of their coaches that picks you up from the Manchester area, taking you down to Dover then Siesta take over from there. Edit just looked for Northerns depot on streetview, it is nothing than a lockup shop. So if you book a holiday with Northern you are actually travelling with Siesta, I find this quite interesting. I was always put off by Northern because I didn't know anything about the fleet.
Are Ferris planning of buying any more coaches, unless they are going to use some of their older vehicles I cannot see they have enough coaches to do the Salou and Benidorm trips. As far as I know for Spain they only use their 61 plate and the 12 and 13 plate Neoplans.

I work in the industry, not seen anything new being registered yet but their 2006 Berkhof Volvos are currently for sale in the trade press.These are the older platinum double deckers

Hope this helps
Southern Holidays also do coach only to Spain, but not sure of their prices
Beefy Ferris seem to get their new coaches during the season or just before it, I think their 13 plates arrived in April or May.

From what I gather from a conversation with one of the drivers, only the 61 plate, the 12 plate and the two 13 plates are used for Spanish duties.

They seem to buy their coaches from a supplier, I can't remember their name but they are based in the South West rather than the manufacturer, I suppose because they don't buy in quantities.
All coaches come through dealers rather than direct regardless of how big the order. They used to use Moseley in the South.
A lot of companys buying now before the new emissions laws come into force rather than waiting this year
Mosely of the south was their supplier :). I didn't realise you can't get coaches from the manufacturer, I just thought it would be like buses where the operators tend to go to direct. I suppose the difference is bus companies tend to be much larger and place much larger orders.

What emissions rules are coming out next year? I assume any modern engines would be compliant already so is this a tax thing?
Euro 6. its a newer standard for engine emissions that make them a lot more complicated but reduces emissions further than already.
All good for the environment I suppose but not so good for holidaymakers as they are more expensive to buy, maintain and run.
You can still order the old stock for now so a lot of the bigger operators are buying now

Unfortunately Shuttle operators are a dying breed, not many left now and only really Siesta / Ferris doing it on any scale.
Its so cheap to fly nowadays that most people would rather do that, which is a shame as the journey is part of the holiday
NoAir wrote:
They only seem to do pickups in the South East and also it doesn't mention much details about the fleet. It is about like Northern Holidays in that respect.

Yes agreed about Pick ups, but there again the company is based in the South East. The latest coach is just six months old and a brand new coach due after Christmas. They do run their own coaches as you will see from their brochure or website. the picture of the coach reg ROF 100 is the one in use now on Paris, Brugge and Lille trips.
I've travelled with Ferris many times and always had a really good holiday. No complaints over journey times or accomodations but I've booked self catering this year staying at the Royal Appartments in Salou. Just wondered if anyone had stayed here and what they thought of the appartments. They've had quite bad reviews on trip advisor and as people only tend to review after a bad experience then I just wondered if anyone had anything positive to say. The holiday was really cheap so we're not expecting luxuary just somewhere to wash and sleep. Went to Lloret this year and stayed at the Royal Beach in Fenals and I have to say what a fantastic holiday we had. We booked a last minute all inclusive staying for 7 nights and we had a lovely time. Any honest views on the above will be greatfully accepted.
Thanks
James
Never stayed at the hotel but my experience generally is that as longs as there are positive reviews mixed in with the bad ones it will be fine. People only tend to write about bad experiences so online reviews can be miss leading.

Went to Spain twice last year, once to Salou and once to Calella, both times the hotels exceeded expectations. Just remember the golden rule you get what you pay for.

Been heavily looking into Siesta, but the fact they have removed seats means I am more likely to have to sit next to another person, also they only pick up in my city centre if enough other people want that stop. They also prefer to the use the Eurotunnel, and as much as I love the 180mph Eurostar on a coach the experience is very different. I loved the ferry and considered it part of the holiday. Siesta say they use the tunnel to save time but then the extra dinner breaks required eats up any time saved. I am 6ft and found the premium seats on Ferris to be more than good enough. The on demand entertainment is the only thing that is making me think about Siesta, but I bring my own anyway!. Also the fact you can drink alcohol on Siesta puts me off I like a drink myself but I think the fact everybody was sober made for a better experience and also reduced the chances of a toilet breakdown!.
Thanks No Air, I've changed my booking now to All Inclusive Hotel Planamar in Malgrat. Too many bad reviews about the Royal Appartments in Salou and we spoke with someone who stayed there and they said that some of the appartments were ok but theirs was awful so we decided not to take the chance. I always think that if you speak to enough people you'll always find good and bad opinions and that the ones with negative reviews tend to have unrealistic expecations of what they can get for their money. For the same sort of cash we could have had self catering in Lanzarote but when you factor in food and drink on top your talking hundreds on top again. At least on the coach you can load up and forget about your luggage and just enjoy the journey, Booked for August and it can't come quick enough. I'll be counting down the days now.
This time next week we'll be hopefully, heading through France on our way to the Hotel Planamar in Malgrat. We booked this holiday in January so it's been a long time coming. I'll post as honest a review of the hotel on return. I'm not worried about the journey as it's the sixth or seventh time with Ferris. I am a little bit worried about the hotel due to the mixed reviews but I'm pretty realistic in my expectations so as I always do, I'll try and reserve judgement until I see, hear, smell and taste for myself. Anyone got any tips for staying in Malgrat, things to see and do etc. I know there's the Htop free bus, does anyone know if it goes to Blanes as that's the only resort I've never been to. Thanks in advance.
i like the planamar having stayed there many times as it has the feel of a family run hotel.i admit it is not everyones cup of tea but i have always found the staff very friendly and if you relax and treat them right, chat to them then they respond very well.i am at the maripins again in september and either the maripins or planamar in october.if you are AI it is worth asking on arrival the price to upgrade to AI GOLD as you then get branded drinks and are able to visit the Amaika hotel(if that is your thing). they were offering this very cheaply earlier this year -€5 pppd though i think the normal price is around €12pppd.
on arrival head towards the crown and anchor for a decent breakfast. this is also a great place to watch football.if that is your thing.the eureka bar and robin hood have karaoke at nights and they are in the main "bar street" beside the papi hotel, a 5 minute walk from the planamar.
just past the eureka bar is a small spanish tapas bar called pica pica which is worth a visit for a snack for a change. the bars on the beach side of the railway track are mostly german/dutch but are worth a visit.
the old town of malgrat has a variety of shops and is worth a wander round.
for sandwiches for the journey home there is a supermarket about 4 blocks along the main street, turn right out of the hotel. cant recall the name but it is on a corner and you have to go up steps to get in. they do freshly made baquettes at very good prices.
htop dont have any hotels in blanes so their bus does not go there. it is only i stop on the train, but the station is at the back of the resort and it is about a 20/30 minute stroll to the beach/old town.
there is a small land train that runs round the resort and a trip on that is worth it to get your bearings. if you get the santa susanna land train it takes you up the hills behind the resorts and is worth a trip if you have nothing else to do.
http://www.turismemalgrat.com/eng/index.php
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.