Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Sorry can't help about the mosques. Yes the sunbeds on the beach are free as long as you buy drinks. Both Bodrum and Gumbet are nice for an evening stroll and meal - I prefer Gumbet but it's down to individual taste. Not a lot of shops where you don't haggle - there's the emporium opposite Cheers in Gumbet and also the shops in the Oasis Centre where goods have marked prices. The "gifty" shops have marked prices sometimes - it's the clothes and bag shops, etc where you can have a good haggle. Yes the shops stay open very late in the evening - I once bought a pair of shoes at 2am in Gumbet (my feet were killing me)!!! There's a selection of shops in Bitez but for shopping, you;re better going to Gumbet or Bodrum.
I really like Bodrum for an evening stroll, as there's a sweeping harbour, with lots of restaurants. Right by one end is the market, open all evening and a maze to wander through and have a haggle. The Castle adds to the view in the evening.

I think it's possible to visit a main mosque ( outside prayer time). I'd ask someone outside the mosque/someone local for their advice. I would expect no bare arms/legs, shoes removed and women are likely need to wear a headscarf. I've visited a mosque in Istanbul, and that was what was expected.
Hi,

1. Yes, you can visit the mosques, we have been in a couple around there. For men and women do not wear shorts, women also must cover their shoulders and wear a headscarf and no shoes inside. Some of the mosques are beautiful inside

2. Sunbeds are free and as long as you order the odd drink you wont get any hassle.

3. Both Gumbet and Bodrum are nice to have a wander around in the evening, I personally prefer Bodrum as there are loads of lovely restaurants and you can walk along the harbour but Gumbet is nice too.

4. The shops are open very late, there a few in Bitez but Bodrum is better for shopping.

5. If you don't want to haggle then Oasis is good, the clothes are more expensive ther but also better quailty
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.