Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
I would have thought the last post I did deserves to be kept separate from this general lot as it should be of interest to anyone having book this hotel for the summer.
Hi wayne ... anyone browsing the forum for recent info about the hotel should find this topic quite easily, and anyone subscribed to the thread will now receive an email alerting them to your post. However, an added advantage of your post being here is that this topic is already well established in search engine rankings, making your info easier to find by non-HT users too, whereas a new thread would take some time to reach that level.

David :wave
That's sad news, waynezab. :(

We have stayed at the other end of Santa Eulalia a couple of times, but walked past the Don Carlos on our travels, and I know it's popular with some members on HT. The "red earth" coast in that area is certainly getting eroded to leave bare rock (The little beach behind the Don Carlos always looked very drab to me, but I guess it was pretty years ago ...). It is so pretty at the other end of the resort (by the Tropic Gardens etc.) but there is nothing to protect those little red cliffs and we saw more erosion in 2011 than when we were there in 2009 :(
I believe there was a church on the big hill behind the Ses Estaques a long time ago, which fell into the sea one Sunday - luckily after the service (though I can't find the source of this info now). The Sol Ibiza is on the land side of this hill, but the path round the side of its gardens was impassable last summer too (although the building is not near the edge)
Fiesta will have to get their structural engineers in and decide what to do. I can't see anybody wanting to book it at the moment....
We stayed at the Don Carlos last summer and we were told that this winter the place was to under go a total revamp in time for this coming summer.

I was wondering if something had gone drasticically wrong during the revamp which had caused thhe collapse.It looks from the photo as if work was taking place in other parts.

I didnt realise that there was a big problem with erosion in the area but now you mention it things do seem to have changed a little from a few years ago as you walk on the path to Es Cana.

I cant see the place being ready for visitors in May!!!!

We are hoping to go to Santa E again in September maybe to the Ses Esquetas ofr the Sol Ibiza.We werent going to the Don Carlos as we fancy a change.

I have just realised that the link now takes you to a different page than before when there was a picture of the hotel.The photo can be seen by going into the back issues section on the site and clicking the 4/1/12 issue.Then click on santa Eulalia news
We are booked for the Don Carlos for 28th May as usual but I can't see the whole hotel being open by then. When we were there last May one of the suites which has collapsed (top floor) had already been refurbished to show guests what was being planned for 2012. It contained a large stone jacuzzi bath (not my cup of tea!) Just wondering whether installing these baths in each of the suites which have collapsed has been too much for the original structure as the ground floor is intact. Just a thought. The good news is that the Matutes family who own the Fiesta hotels are to Ibiza what the Kennedys are to Boston so if anyone can fix it in time.... We are off to Ibiza in February for 4 days so will go and see if anything is happening and report back. Each end of Santa Eulalia has its devotees, but I prefer the Siesta end as its residential, quiet and pretty with a villagey feel. We love the little beach as its always quiet in June with mainly locals. Also, the views from the Don Carlos are spectacular. I do think, though, that Santa Eulalia is becoming somewhat unbalanced accomodation wise as the three best hotels are now adult only. This only leaves the Riomar, La Cala and Tres Torres to choose from for families, unless you go for apartments/aparthotels. There is also the Grupotel, but its location would put me off.
we have just booked to go here in October for 10 days and will post a review when we return.
Friends of ours are out there at the end of September so will get a review from them
Your review would be appreciated Audisteve, many thanks. :tup

Have a great holiday :sun2 :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.