Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Mr Frostie - it will be the best holiday ever! We're going out on Thursday too, for the third time. Everything's really easy

1 - loads of taxis available from Baga to take you into Calangute. Some people say they will rip you off, but we have never had any problems, and have found them all really friendly.
2 - there are loads of excellent restaurants, and don't be scared to eat at the beach shacks -some of them do really good food - and cheap!
3 - we're finally doing Hampi for the first time this year. Other messages on this site suggest Daytrippers, but I'm having a look at doing it independently - wish me luck!
hi mrfrostie

only one tip if you are going from gatwick with thomas cook, my friend Elly will be one of your cabin crew on the flight so please tell her Lisa said to look after you. She is the one with the biggest "smile". ;) ;)
Don't let the taxi drivers know you are a newbie or they WILL try and rip you off. If they ask how many times you've been to Goa before.............lie. :tup

Apart from that, you WILL have a great holiday - look forward to reading your report on your return :cheers Fizz
Hi, as novices you will be better off doing Hampi and any other trips with Daytrippers, Eddie is a mine of information and can help you if you have any problems while in Goa. Im sure you have a list of restaurants recommended on here, make the Thai Oriental at the Mira Hotel the one that you definitely go to. Most of all have a wonderful time and tell us all about it when you get back :D
mr frostie
so sorry just found out she is flying from manchester on sunday so no cabin crew on your side, sorry!
I have stayed twice at the Santiago in previous years and have found all the rooms to be good although the ones facing the pool are probably nicer for sitting out on the balcony. My friends have stayed there for several years now and have never had a complaint either. The staff are very attentive but don't buy spices or anything from them as they are HUGE packs are you can buy cheaper.

Best shack is down to individual choice but I like Bobby's - great food, or Big Banana both close to Santiago and another right up at Baga but can't remember the name!

Tito's has changed a lot since I first started going and felt more like an English club last year, I only went once, preferred it as it was.

As for Panjim and where to eat if you search on here there are lots of choices and comments. Think there is also a thread for beach shacks.

Have a great time as I'm sure you will!!! :cheers :sun2
Thanks for all the help I will print off a selection of posts and take them with us as a home made guidebook!
Hi, I'm a brand new member but I can give you a few tips. First of all if your going to Calangute from Baga get the local bus, its only Rs8 and its a good experience, plus they run very frequent. The best place to eat is East meets West at the top end of price list(although compaired to home the prices are very reasonable) there is also Salt n Pepper(which is just next door). When down Tito's road in the evening or night time just be careful of certain types(and I don't mean locals) as they can be intimidating and are known for bag snatching and drugs dealing among other things.
Johnny's boat tours also do the Hampi trip - I have been looking into it!!
lisaandrich wrote:
mr frostie
so sorry just found out she is flying from manchester on sunday so no cabin crew on your side, sorry!

Hi Lisa - we fly with Thomas Cook on Sunday from Manchester - can I mention your name please???

Thanks,

Shirley
Hi Shirley
Of course you can, just say Lisa mentioned what a wonderful cabin crew she is, I'll let her know you will be on the flight!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.