Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Stewind, can't help with details on Tunisia as this will be my first visit there.

But just wanted to say, have a wonderful time.
Hi Stewind
Wow thats a big step. Tunisia is a great country but if you haven t been abroad before it will be different. Where in Tunisia are you going? Which hotel? If you haven t booked yet I would recommend Port el kantouai. Its extremely sheltered and could be anywhere in the world. Are you going with some one who has been abroad before? That would be a great help.

Otherwise this is a really good website. Any questions are answered very quickly. To answer some of yours
when to tip?
There is a topic on this. Tipping is customary and even a small ammount is appreciated. Eg 1 dinar for drinks. I go with 15-20% for resteraunts. And I leave about 20 dinar evey week for cleaning ladies. But its up to you.
With it being a muslim country is there a problem with alcohol?

Not really. Tunisia is one of the most Liberal muslim countries. Only 20% actually practice. Most alchohol however is their own made. There is not much imported and when there is its expensive. Its far from forbidden as even some Tunisians drink.
local customs?

As I said its surprisingly liberal. Many Tunisian women don t wear the headscarf. However dress sensibly like cool loose clothing. Obviously nothing skimpy mini skirts, belly tops. I actually went with loads of cover up clothes and I found it made me stand out as everyone was wearing t-shirts and shorts in PEK even Tunisians.
watch out for shop assistants that try to make you go into their shops. Just smile, say no and walk away. its the same with taxis. If you want one make it clear and if you don t just say no! You will probably hear alot of hassle stories but if you keep calm its fine. don t accept anything from someone who says its free. It never is.

As i said Tunisia is different. For me thats a good thing but since it is your first time abroad I would choose Port el kantoui which is sheltered and touristy or maybe another touristy destination such as Spain or Cyprus and then consider Tunisia for the next time. But if you feel confident, go for Tunisia but be open minded and well informed. Its Northern Africa so its going to be a change.
Any more questions just ask!
This website is perfect for information.
Good luck whatever you choose
Hi stewind, all you need is here on this forum. Just got back from Hammamet last week. anything you need to now just browse all the posts. Plenty of good advice from friendly people......... :D ....... regards ..mike
Just decided! I'm going to Sousse staying in the Marhaba Salem.I'll be going on my own. Big step but it's something I've been promising myself for years. Getting Excited!!!
You will love it over there

We went on our first family holiday there and no body wanted to come home.
There is loads to see and its great to realx in between all the sight seeing.
The people are so wonderful too.
Oh I am so jeaslous as I want to go back
Thats great!! You ll have a blast. I kind of wish I d stayed in Sousse its so much more the real Tunisia. Oh well next time. Bon voyage
Hi Stewind

congratulations! I had my first ever foreign holiday in Tunisia, way back when I was only 23, it was fab. It is so different from the uk, it might even spoil you for european holidays in the future!

We went back to Tunisia last year and stayed at the Marhaba Salem, really enjoyed it, and took the opportunity to visit Sousse city centre a few times, as one of the other posters has said, it's more like the real Tunisia there.

Have a great time
Regards
mgb
Hi Stewind
I am just home from my first ever trip to tunisia and ive fallen in love with the country,i cant wait to go back i loved every minute of my stay there and everything about tunisia.
All i can say to you is as long as you are open minded about diversity and diffent cultures and as long as you're willing to try new and interesting foods you should have awhale of a time and get a great sun tan to top it off!!
hope you have a brilliant time
MB
Hi Stewind,

I'm sure you'll have a super time in Sousse (my favourite part of Tunisia). Try and learn a few phrases of the language (particularly 'la shokran' (no thank you) and 'la, gahli barcha' (no, too expensive) :lol: I usually go there a couple of times a year but won't be going back until about October. You will find the answer to most of your queries on here but if there is anything you can't find don't hesitate to ask.
Hi,

As you are going to Sousse you wont be very far from Port El Kantaoui (PEK), so make sure you pop along (not far by taxi or the local 'Noddy train"), and visit the marina for nice little cafes and shops etc.

Sousse itself is more traditional, often very busy in the centre and you need to take care, especially if on your own (as is the case in ANY tourist resort).

Tunisia is very different, but very interesting and a lovely place.

Have a great time!

Ray.
I certainly agree with Ray there. I love Sousse but Port El Kantaoui is definitely the place to sit in a cafe and watch the world go by. Quite a lot of the world ends up there as well, as boats come from all over Europe. Be sure to see the musical fountains.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.