Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Prawn,

Tourist Cards .... the cost of the tourist card upon arrival at airport is $10 USD per person, BUT, it is very easy to purchase it online prior to travel, and saves a lot of hassle upon arrival at airport. This is the link to purchase online https:www.dgii.gov/Tturistaweb/

Currency .... we took USD with us which were accepted wherever we went.

Tipping .... we usually tip as we go along but that's just our preference. Can't see any problem with tipping at the end of stay though.

Immigration card ..... you will required to fill in a blue Immigration Card which you hand in upon arrival at the airport. This will be given to you once you have boarded your outbound flight.

Hope the above is of some help:-)

Regards,
Pat
Hi Prawn,

Should have added that if you do purchase the Tourist Card online you will skip the long queues upon arrival. Upon entering Arrivals stay to the right side and follow the wall through to Immigration where you will hand in your Tourist Card and Blue Immigration Card.

regards,
Pat
:thanks Thanks for that, Pat. Much appreciated!
No worries ... pleased to be of help:-)

We went to the Dom Rep for the first time last June. Had a lovely holiday but just found the hotel (Excellence) a bit too remote for our liking. Have booked to go back to Mexico in June, but are considering going back to the DR in Sept (Dreams Palm Beach) if we can get a good deal in the sales:-)

What hotel are you going to?

Regards,
Pat
We just got a good deal to the Riu Bachata in September so decided to give it a go! Never been long haul before so it should be an experience if nothing else!
Hi Prawn,

A friend of mine went to the RIU Bachata a few years ago and had a lovely time. Am sure you will have a great holiday.

Are you flying into Punta Cana or the other airport further up the island as RIU Bachata is Puerto Plata region if I'm not mistaken??

We never had any problems with mozzies when we were there in June, but it always pays to be prepared ... the mozzies are normally like a magnet to me and I am like a walking chemist when we go to the Caribbean lol!

Regards,
Pat
...just a comment about tipping in the Caribbean -we have found it best to tip little and often....a $ bill to the waiter/barman works wonders and we always tip the maid a couple of $$s every other day to make sure that the fridge is refilled and fresh towels are supplied -if you don't tip at all during the stay,everything may be fine...but in some hotels we have heard other guests complaining of having to wait for drinks,being ignored at the bar, room not cleaned til late etc etc.
As to DR entry card -in 4 visits never had much of a queue to pay on arrival -I believe it actually costs more if you purchase online from Embassy..and I think you have to entrust your passport to the postal system !!!
Yes, I do agree with brewerdave regarding tipping ....little and often.

Regarding the Tourist Card ... you do not send your passport away to the Embassy for this. You simply through the line which I posted above ($10 USD pp) and your cards are ready to print off immediately.

Prawn just realised you will be flying into Puerto Plata not PC, therefore info I gave you regarding directions upon arrival are not applicable.

regards,
Pat
There have been some cases of chikungunya, a mosquito borne disease with flu like symptoms ranging from mild to chronic in DR.

Daytime mozzies carry it so you might want to consider using some sort of mozzie protection. Definitely nothing to stress over, but who wants to feel ill after shelling out all that money for the holiday for the want of a bit of spray. Depends on the weather of course, mozzies seem to be about more when it's rained (but not windy).

We are going there for the first time in May (Punta Cana). Will probably purchase out Tourist Cards on-line but can't quite decide about currency - seems USD is favourite.
Would also contact your GP with regards to the recommended vaccines. God forbid if anything happened while over there and you never had the recommended vaccines, you may find that your insurance will be invalidated.

From what I've read on various sites Chikungunya is air bourne in many of the Caribbean islands. Our son's girlfriend contracted Dengue Fever while in Mexico last June (similar symptoms to Chikungunya) Symptoms didn't arise until she returned home. Doctor thought it was malaria and sent her to the hospital for Tropical Diseases in London where they diagnosed Dengue Fever. There is no vaccine available to prevent it, and the symptoms just have to run it's course. After being off work for a month, she thankfully made a full recovery.

regards,
Pat
Prawn my son and his GF stayed at the Bachata in September this year, they loved it and said it was excellent service too - my son has been to DR before as I have but this was first time to the Bachata and loved it. The Riu Hotel's usually do offer an excellent standard through out their hotels.
Good point about the Dengue Fever, forgot about that (another reason to use some form of mozzie deterrent).

Our GP runs a travel clinic and the current advice is to take anti malaria tabs, though the malaria risk is negligible so some may choose not to. We probably will, though inconvenient, so don't blame others who choose not to.

This is a good link for info, with risk levels for various areas of the Dominican & other immunisation stuff. Can't put full link on here but you can stick the usual W W W. in front when you paste it into Google.
fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/caribbean/dominican-republic/dominican-republic-malaria-map.aspx
Thanks for all your very welcome advice! We will be visiting our Doctors travel clinic before going and we always have a full medicine kit - including anti- mossie stuff - but will certainly check if we need anything else!

Looking forward to visiting somewhere new.
I always give a tip to the barman at the start of the holiday. This results in very prompt service!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.