Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
really ? no one has been to Kalutara ? well that's not a good start lol
I've stayed at Kalutara three times, 2009 and 2010 at the Mermaid and way back in 2006 at the Kani Lanka (which I believe has changed its name).
Kalutara is quite a large Sri Lankan town, so large it has two railway stations.
I found it very much a working Sri Lankan town rather than a tourist resort. However if you like local culture you will probably enjoy it. I did very much.
Most hotels are quite a way out of town requiring a taxi or tuktuk to get there. There are lots of shops selling everything under the sun, and a couple of modern supermarkets. There's a market down one of the side streets.
The large church in the main road is attractive and worth a visit. Also hidden away up a side street is a quite lovely Hindu temple.
There's a huge Stupa and temple just at the end of the road bridge, you will see drivers stop frequently just to leave a little money in the collection box. Definately worth taking your camera there.
From Kalutara it is very easy (and cheap) to go by train for the day either up to Colombo or down to Galle. Kalutara is about midway between them.
I'm going back to Sri Lanka very soon, staying at Aluthgama which is a bit further down the road and I intend catching the train up to Kalutara for a wander around again one morning. I'll be able to update my memory and send you any details you need way before you go in October.
cheers Bill
On 28th February 2015 at 11:54pm, stefk said:
Hi everyone
We are travelling to Sri Lanka in october. We have been to Goa twice , We will stay at Tangerine Beach Hotel in Kalutara. Has anyone been to Kalutara, is there many restaurants , shops etc to wander to in the evenings ?
Thanks in advance
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.