Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Chaweng is Calangute. However, its good to visit there but stay elsewhere. There are a few laid back resorts within 10 mins taxi of it. The one I've been to (after trying Chaweng the first visit) is Bophut. Its been a few years but I don't think it seems to have changed too much. One main road( Fishermans Village) with restaurants and bars. Great places there. There were no girlie bars when we were there and I know the village elders were determined to keep them away.
We used songthaews to get about. Very cheap- they are a sort of jeep with benches. They can hailed down and are like minibuses. Locals use them and it makes the journey interesting. We went to Nathon on one- which is on the other side of the island.
Bophut also has the ferry for Koh Phanang. You can also get ferries to various places from Nathon but haven't done that myself. Nathon is a working town and interesting to wonder around.
A useful online magazine is
http://www.samuiguide.com/index.html
I'm sure others who have been more recently can give you up to date info.
I hope you like it- cheap( but not as cheap as Goa) and great food. :)
Are you doing a stop-over in Bangkok?
food is much much better than Goa in my opinion. I was also very ill in Goa but have never had any problems whatsoever in Thailand on three visits. There are plenty of places that do fantastic food for little more than a fiver for a couple of courses with a beer.

Personally I really like Chaweng, as you have all the clubs in one little area and the rest of the town just has bars and restaurants dotted around. We stayed right at the end of Chaweng beach so it was dead quiet during the day but only a 5 minute walk at night to the bars etc. I loved Koh Samui and thought it was better than Pattaya or Hua Hin. I'm off to Phuket in March so can't wait for that! :)
TC
You may be right TC re location of hotel. I definitely preferred Bophut though- and it was also very close to Chaweng if I wanted a more hectic night.
Hello Neil,
I'm sure you didn't expect an answer from me. Iv'e never been to Koh Samui, but my daughter has, and her favorite beach was Mae Nam, she stayed in basic acommodation, but if you want something special, how about the Santiburi Resort. She couldn't afford it but said it was exceptionaly beautiful.
xx lassi
Like the others, I'm a big fan of Bo Phut, but spent a couple of relaxed nights at the Saree Samui on Maenam.

However, for what you have in mind, I would look at spending 4-5 complete chill out days on Koh Phangan. £50 will get you a lot. Avoid overly backpackery beaches, and you will find some amazing white sands, and wonderful times!
Thanks all. My partner's work colleague goes to KS every year (she likes the chilled out life style) and has helped booking accomodation for a few days ... also getting picked up at airport. Lovely apartment, nice pool £20 each. Will let you know where.

Most of my friends have been to Thailand (never Goa) and rave on about it... The beaches look better than Goa (well some of them).

Not interested in European food so should be asily pleased.
I'm going (with my partner) on holiday for the fist time to Thailand, Koh Samui for 2 weeks mid Jan (flights booked). Been to all of Goa too many times and I'm expecting a better standard of service and cleanliness. (I had been very ill in Goa several times due to bad food preparation - I know you always take a chance).

I know KS isn't what is was like many years ago and probably quite touristy. A few questions.

1. Are their places to stay that are quiet (laid back)? I want to avoid anywhere like Calangute or at the other extreme full on Palolem in Goa.
2. Can I get about easily? I won't travel by scooter anymore.
3. Boat trips/Ferries? Any to Ko Phangan? Any other accessible islands/journeys.
4. I'm budgeting £50 total for 2 .... I'm assuming I can get good rooms for this. What's the max I should pay?

I don't want to pay 5 star but if somewhere is really opulent/funky I'll splash out. I/we don't like the big crowds and prefer a more chilled experience. Also into walking.

I realise some of these questions might be answered on this forum, I'm just exploring and gathering info now.

Any advice welcome.

1. You could do worse that Moon Huts in Maenam. Very chilled and laid back and a nice beach front location with excellent cocktails!

2. Yes, taxi's or songthews (pick up turcks that go round the island) are plentiful

3. Yes, plenty of trips to Ko Phangan from Big Buddha pier. Also trips to the national park, emerald cove etc.

4. I think Moon Huts will be in your budget

If you're into walking you can still find some beaches where you'll be on your own. Head up North up past the sixth senses resort and there are a couple of very secluded beaches if you take the time to look for them.
Ang Thong National Park

Anyone visited there and how long is the trip by boat?

LOOKS STUNNING :D

Thanks

Neil
Surprised by the lack of postings! Is there anyone out there or is everyone having such a good time that no one posts?
Yep - Bo Phut or Mae Nam get my votes in Samui. Last out there last June / July, stayed at Zazen Resort, doesn't get better! But it's peak season in Jan, so won't be in budget.

Spent 6 nights in Phangan, first time back since I was a little backpacker raver, and although there are a couple of wonderful resorts, still plenty of amazing laid back places set in beautiful bays that would be idyllic for your chill-out time. Hit Trip Advisor, and avoid Haad Rin.

Chaweng - the softest squeakiest sand in Thailand. But still wouldn't get me to stay there. For nights out only! (for me - but did have 3 year old in tow).
Thanks, looks like will be staying in Bo Phut for a few days. Intend going to Phangan for a few days or longer.

Chaweng, don't fancy much.

Got plenty money in reserve for a few days in a 'boutique' hotel if something takes my fancy.
My GF has organised accomodation through a friend. It's an apartment at the back of the Kanaburi Resort by North Chaweng beach. Any comments on that area?
HI Neil, Where is your travel report?? I am waiting............... food, sights, beaches - want to know everything!! Cheers jazz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.