Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
We would go back in a heartbeat - it's just not so easy to get to Tunisia from Cyprus.... (We've been living here for 10yrs after emigrating from UK). The only way is via Cairo and if we have to fly to Cairo, we would quite simply stay in Egypt as that's another place very dear to our hearts.

Our favourite areas for holidaying in Tunisia are most probably Sousse and Port El Kantoui, each very close to each other but quite different. The first time we went we stayed in Hammamet which although very nice, I found it a little boring - but, that's many, many years ago and I'm sure thing will have changed over time.

There were no bars as such in Hammamet when we went and entertainment all took place inside the hotel complexes. We spent a fortnight visiting various hotels with a single Swiss/German guy we met called Rito and had a really great time. He was there for 2 months to brush up on his French, instead - he told us he learned to make "the English joke" :)

We also did the 2 day desert safari and really enjoyed breaking away from the beach and hotel syndrome.
Iv heard the desert safari has had mixed reviews with going at the end of august would it not be too hot I dont mean to sound negative im more airing on the side of caution xxx
I'm a regular visitor to Tunisia, usually going twice a year, spring and autumn and will be back in Sousse on 3rd May. I do find it too hot in the summer months and would really not recommend the Sahara trip at that time of year, though it is well worth doing at any other time. I've done it some years ago with a company called Saphir Voyages and have also been out to Matmata and El Djem by car with Tunisian friends.

Like Cyprus, I love Sousse and PEK and usually stay in Sousse which has good transport links to other parts of the country for exploring independently. I stayed at the Marhaba Beach many years ago and absolutely loved it, but I'm well aware that things have changed with a lot of the hotels, some having closed and others apparently having gone downhill, so I can't advise you on that. You need to look at recent reviews on more than one site, though even there you need to read between the lines.

Regarding safety, I've been going for 14 years and was out there just after the revolution and have never felt in the least unsafe. Even at the height of the troubles tourists were not targeted, so unless they got involved in the demonstrations they were unlikely to experience any problems.
The Sahara Trip is great, but I wouldn't advise doing it if you are only there for a week as it's really tiring (1300km in 2 days).
havent been on this site in a few yrs well since the last time to tunisia due to the trouble as couldnt get a holiday booked from belfast of all places haha so glad to be going back in june ,7 times best holiday we have ever been same hotel same staff love this country take the plunge and go you will love it people so friendly
not a place I would return to.
Plenty of interesting historical sights to see but I'm afraid that apart from that there was nothing that I enjoyed........including the people!
It's definitely worth going once though and you may fall in love with the place!
love it goin in 5 weeks fly from Belfast straight threw on the 4th may. , cnt wait been at same hotel last 3 times, would not go any were else in tunsisa, tried other hotels along the same strip as hotel we are staying in, but always go back to our fav, its not everyones likin but its ours lol
We're both on the countdown now Tammie. :smile: I've even filled in my little visa card to save doing it on the plane (I keep a small pile of them at home), printed and laminated my luggage label and even put my grubby luggage strap through the washing machine! I've got an evening flight so booked an appointment at the hairdresser for the morning. I'm now watching the weather forecast for Sousse obsessively.. :wink:
4 weeks today to our second trip! We visited Hammamet last time and are going to PEK this time.

Jo, anywhere is worth one trip as you may discover your favourite place to be where you least expected it! Go with an open mind, being aware of any negatives you have heard, but also look for the positives.

I am sure you will enjoy the experience.
I'd second that, it's a while since I have been to Tunisia but the first time I went it was a spur of the moment decision. I wanted a last minute week somewhere warmer than the east coast of Scotland in early April as cheap as I could find, so walked into my local independent travel agent gave them my dates and they came up with a week HB at the Marhaba Beach in Sousse. I decided that as long as the room was clean, the bed comfy and there was a pool to lounge beside then anything else was a bonus so I booked there and then!

One of the best last minute holidays I've ever had and I made a number of repeat visits in later years. If I'd planned and researched a holiday in advance or the Canaries had been cheaper then I would probably never have gone but I really enjoyed it and it became my April bolt hole for a number of years. I did the same another year and ended up in The Gambia which was another little gem too. And my long term love affair with La Gomera in the Canaries happened in a similar way. Sometimes it pays not to spend hour after hour on the internet but to just book on whim, especially if the price is right. :tup

SM
My first trip to Tunisia was also an accidental one. I wanted a holiday in the February half-term so needed flights on a Saturday or Sunday. I originally wanted Cyprus but the only weekend flights were from Birmingham. The travel agent suggested Tunisia and as I'd visited Morocco previously and it was only for a week I decided I had nothing to lose. That was 14 years ago and the rest is history. That said, even I admit that Tunisia isn't everyone's idea of heaven, and perhaps it is a good idea to go for a week the first time, as it's a relatively short flight so you can always go again (or even become addicted like some of us. :lol: )
I went with the family back in 2008 its was fantastic kids loved it too we stayed for 2 weeks and wanted to go back again but not had the chance I would recommend it brilliant place
Aslemma wrote:
We're both on the countdown now Tammie. :smile: I've even filled in my little visa card to save doing it on the plane (I keep a small pile of them at home), printed and laminated my luggage label and even put my grubby luggage strap through the washing machine! I've got an evening flight so booked an appointment at the hairdresser for the morning. I'm now watching the weather forecast for Sousse obsessively.. :wink:

same here just counting the last few weeks. got the labels done, but not the visa card, might just pick some of them up this time for future reff, we have a early flight from Belfast, thk its 6 when we fly out, which aint bad cos by the time we get there, it might just be lunch time lol. as for the weather, its better than Belfast so im not to worried, lol :)
I'm on the evening flight from Stansted so won't be at the hotel until around midnight. I'll have a meal at the airport though I have been out for a meal in Sousse after a late flight as the place never seems to sleep.
Aslemma wrote:
I'm on the evening flight from Stansted so won't be at the hotel until around midnight. I'll have a meal at the airport though I have been out for a meal in Sousse after a late flight as the place never seems to sleep.

we always seem to get a early flight to pek. but hubbie has to eat at airport before he gets on plane, he just loves his food lol... what hotel you goin to? we are goin back to soviva I know a lot of people don't like it, but I love it....... very helpful to me in wotever I need, I use a stick to walk and don't do stairs very well. infact last yr I ran out of oil for my eciggie thing, and it was a very nice man...(I found out later he was the owner) give me a small bottle of his oil to get me over a few days, plus told me the shop to go get more, I didn't know at this stage that they sold them over there, so next day I went and bought a few more plus more oil . lol :)
Aslemma this is a silly question think I know the answer, but if any one knows I think u might, is there any were near PEK that u can hire a mobility scooter?. I have my own one, but I cnt get it in car to take to airport. so was thinking if I could hire one over there it would help me lol
Sorry tammie, I don't know where you can hire a mobility scooter but I do know someone who might. I have a Scottish friend who has an apartment in Hammam Sousse and lives there most of the year. At present she is in the UK but I'll sound her out, as well as other friends who live there. Another Scottish friend also uses a mobility scooter but brings it out with her and it does make life a lot easier. We'll all be meeting up in PEK, including Anne and her scooter (and husband) so if you and your husband would like to join us for coffee or lunch one day I'll PM you my Tunisian phone number.

I stayed in the Soviva many years ago, in fact not that long after it featured on TV and got the nickname "Survivor" and was quite happy there. The only reason I haven't been back is that it is rather a long way from the Marina and easy access to my beloved Sousse. I'm staying at the Karawan this time - not one of the top hotels by a long chalk but well placed for wandering down to the Medina or the trains, metro and buses. I spend so much time out of the hotel that as long as I've got a comfortable bed, a meal if I want it and friendly staff I'm perfectly happy.
Tammie, do you live so far from the airport that a taxi is out of the question? My Mum relies on her electric scooter more and more and we find that it is no problem taking it in a taxi. In fact as long as there are only a couple of passengers we've had no problems just flagging down a black cab in the street and putting her, my Dad and the scooter in the back! And these days as long as you are giving them notice in advance even minicab firms usually have some large estate or people carrier type cars in their fleet that will have plenty of room for one. The law is such now that whether licensed taxis or minicabs they have to be able to carry wheelchairs and mobility aids.

So if a taxi is not going to be horrendously expensive, I would check with whether your scooter meets the guidelines for the carrier/TO you are going with and if it does, take you own. At least that way you will also know that it has been well maintained etc. It's going back a bit but my experience of Tunisia in the past was that there was a bit of a 'make do and mend' attitude and that Health and Safety regulations are not necessarily as tight there as here,

SM
I've just had a look on line and it seems this question has been asked several times over the years on various forums, including HT, and nobody seems to have heard of them being available for hire in Tunisia. I do agree with SMa, apart from the bit about a 'make do and mend' attitude - as they seem to rely more on making do rather than mending, at least to any meaningful degree. :roll: I will however make other enquiries for you and let you know if I hear anything positive.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.