Holiday Advice

Holiday Advice From HolidayTruths Admins
I will get an update on Manchester tomorrow as a work colleague is on Qatar Airways to Doha this am.
I can of course prove the portable charger works. But I also wonder if its not just differences between carriers, but also even within the same carrier it may just depend on who deals with you.
Hi my work colleague told me that it was not too bad coming through Manchester he was asked about the number of electronic items he had but that was about it. He did say however there were extra checks at the boarding gate.
My OH flew from T1 Manchester yesterday morning. The flight was at 6.15am and he said the security queues were really backed up. It took him an hour to get through.
It's interesting to note that these increased security measures are also supposed to apply on flights coming in to the UK, yet coming back from Tenerife on Sunday there was absolutely no sign of any increased security and all our electronics were just scanned as normal with no extra checks.

Perhaps nobody would dream of doing anything via a tourist destination / flight? Always the easy option as far as I see it.
We flew in from Malaga late Saturday evening - no checks.
was speaking to someone today who had a right carry on at Amsterdam yesterday. Long security queues and very slow moving. He went through several lots of questions and searches, including the boarding gate. Said it took an hour to get through it all.
So , are we in the UK being too cautious ? Do we have a problem actually here that constitutes a high risk of people leaving the UK to fly anywhere ? Other countries don't seem overly concerned with flights going to the UK . Or are we just implementing the extra checks because of a fear of what could potentially happen and taking no risks whatsoever ?
I can understand a hub airport like Amsterdam being very strict , I would guess similar type of airports in mainland Europe being the same .
No extra checks at Malaga this afternoon - I put my tablet and phone into a tray and it just went through as usual - in fact it was the quickest we've ever got through security with hardly any queue today.
So , are we in the UK being too cautious ?
We do as the puppet master tells us like the good little sheep this fine nation has become.

No harm in scaring the public with a few creditable threats all good for keeping us ever grateful and under control. I for one if I can help it don't want to ever go back to the land of the paranoid and free! (yeh right).

I better stress this is my view and not those of HT in case I end up in a not so strictly security checked one way flight to Guantanamo Bay :)
I will also add that as there is no real option I will just put up with any checks involved, however there should be a minimum international standard to ensure that if there is such a thing as a real creditable threat it is not allowed to happen via some not so thorough checks at mainly tourist airports.
Is it me or was this just for flights to the Land of the Free!!!!!!!! if so why has it become ALL flights!!! am I too simple or why not have a separate security queue for the Good old USA.And another at the Boarding gate?? for USA flights.
Reading this I think I'd better warn my grandson who is in Japan for a few months and flying back via Amsterdam in early September as he may not have heard anything about it. Better to be safe than sorry!
Well I have to get through security at Aberdeen and Heathrow tomorrow. Will hopefully have time to post here when I am in the lounge.
OH is flying back from Frankfurt this afternoon so I'll ask him about the security there.
Increased security ha thats a laugh, tell these 2 SEPERATE families that eneded up on the wrong plane, of course it wasn't Ryanairs fault though!

http://www.travelmole.info/news_feature.php?c=setreg&region=2&m_id=s~dv~Ab~A&w_id=10124&news_id=2012424
That wasn't a security issue though. They weren't a security risk because they'd got a boarding pass, and had already been through security checks so were 'safe' to be airside. Of course getting on the wrong flight shouldn't have happened, but nothing to do with security.
As far as I know security at UK airports are checking everyone as normal , flights to the US have secondary checks at the gate , whether staff are being taken from main search to gate checks might have an affect on queuing times .? There really shouldn't be any extra waiting at the normal search area , but then it is now a busier time of year , perhaps more anxiety at central search , a bit more confusion which can all add to queuing times . Hopefully things will settle down .

Security do just check that you have a valid boarding pass to enter the departure lounge , they might upset a few people now and again but they don't direct you onto the wrong plane :D Perhaps it was a "misunderstanding " ;)
OH said Frankfurt security was the same as it's always been. No extra checks or longer queues. He didn't even take his mobile phones out of his bag.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.