Holiday Advice

Holiday Advice From HolidayTruths Admins
Just heard that on the news - especially the bit about you will not be allowed to travel. Thats it then i'm not taking my tablet or mobile with me - with my luck either will decide to not work and i'll miss my holiday!
Also note that this means that any electronics you buy at the airport also have to have some charge on them.
Fiona HT Mod wrote:
Also note that this means that any electronics you buy at the airport also have to have some charge on them.

..but if you buy them airside you won't be passing thru' Security :que
Dave - there are additional security searches in force.I have edited first post to include more of the link I gave.
Advice now changed.
BA will allow you to travel but not your uncharged devices. See link in first post for more information.
...so you go into Dixons @ Gatwick and buy a new device for use on holiday -its still in packaging -surely they can't expect those to be charged??
apparently Dave. Have a look at the questions and answers near the bottom of the info on the link.
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/customer-service/latest-news.html
similar info here to BA but it does not spell out what is expected of items bought in airport shops.

just to emphasise to everyone- information within the links is liable to change so keep checking them for latest advice
First post has been edited due to a security update
Glad I'm not planning on flying anywhere soon!
Just wait for the first story to hit the news -flight to Orlando -kid's game machine confiscated as no charge-lots of tears before bedtime!!
I was planning to put my laptop in my suitcase. Any ideas if that would be OK?
Please do not put a laptop in your checked luggage as when you get your Luggage back it will have gone talking from experience.
Just charge it when you leave home there will be enough charge to show it turns on.
Then when Air side find a plug stick some extra charge in case they ask you at the gate.
What about electrical items that need mains to power up not a battery?? Anything on those items.??
I had that check back when I flew back from Jersey in 2012...
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about, who would take a device with them which wasn't charged :think I will have my iphone and iPad with me as I intend to surf before my flight in the lounge and watch a film or something on the flight, flying Jet2 with no IFE.
Feebee1 wrote:
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about, who would take a device with them which wasn't charged :think I will have my iphone and iPad with me as I intend to surf before my flight in the lounge and watch a film or something on the flight, flying Jet2 with no IFE.

People on connecting flights who will have used their devices on the previous flight/s. Business travellers who work during flights. Not everyone flies short routes, or just for leisure.
Sunaddict wrote:
Feebee1 wrote:

People on connecting flights who will have used their devices on the previous flight/s. Business travellers who work during flights. Not everyone flies short routes, or just for leisure.

...plus kids who have used their devices in the car travelling to the airport, people using phones whilst queueing for check in, someone who left home in a hurry in the early hours to catch an early morning flight etc etc etc etc ;)
Last summer I arrived at Cancun airport with no charge in my mobile. I had accidentally put in our room safe without switching it off. I have also connected at Heathrow after flying two sectors.
I have just had my preboarding email from BA and it does not include any information about the security alert.
I still would like to know about items that require a USB to power them up. I have a power pack that is always fully charged is this exempt there is not enough information out there, i suppose it will depend on who you get doing the checking, and how they wish to apply the rules.
I am also unsure about portable chargers now. I have been reading on the BA forum elsewhere that some are saying they may be taken from you. I would have thought that if you could prove it does charge then it would be ok.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.