America - Florida Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Florida.
A very informative post!
I have friends going to Orlando in November and I know he hasnt told the insurance company about previous heart attacks!
They think they know best and just hope nothing is going to happen to them.They are also quite moderate to heavy drinkers!
I have relatives in Sarasota,but because of pre-existing conditions I now spend my holidays in Europe.
Go to the list here of main forums then click on "Discussion Forums"
Then "Holiday Advice"
Then "Holiday Insurance"

There are a few companies listed that cover Pre-Exist conditions.

Your friend is being very foolish. The policy is a legal document and the policy holder accepts those conditions. It is very clear on all policies that you have to declare all pre-exising conditions.

Why did they buy a policy if it is no good. And it is no good if you have not complied with the conditions.

If for example you have previous heart attack, you do not inform the insurers and you have an accident or illness in no way connected to your heart problems. Upon your claim being received (and this differs from insurance companies) will ask you to get a certificate from your GP and/or require your Medical Records from your GP. If you do noy supply this (and in most cases you have to pay for the records/certificate) your claim WILL BE DENIED.

If you do supply them and you have not declared pre-existing condition your claim WILL BE DENIED.

I can never understand the people that pay sometimes £2,000.00 - £5,000.00 for a family holiday and won't invest in £200.00 or so to protect it. Trust me you'd rather pay the insurance premium than the medical bills.

Example - My friend's wife visited us here in Orlando last October - they bought their insurance from Tesco for less than £100.00 - for 4 adults and 2 children for 3 week holiday. On arival was taken to Florida Hospital with a twisted bowel. after 2 separate stays in hospital, 2 surgeries and a delay in returning to the UK - her medical bills were over £130,000.00 ! ! ! I'd say £100.00 was excellent value for money.

Also I'm sorry to sound rude but if they are "moderate to heavy drinkers" - then that's real bright ! ! ! Saving a few quid on insurance and buying a few rounds of drink versus take a night off the booze and get proper coverage. Irresponsible to say the least.
Their Travel insurance is a free policy from their bank,Lloyds TSB.
We went to Florida with them a few years ago and they used to buy a 1 and a half litre bottle of Southern Comfort almost every day :yikes
I am not bothered about coming to Florida as I have been 7 times all over the state and am happy with my cover(Fortis) that I have for Europe,including Sharm-el-Sheikh and Turkey although these are in Asia.
Hi FH Brit and welcome to HT!

Thanks for a very informative and interesting post which I'm sure our members will find useful.

luci :wave
Very useful information~

Helps me a lot!

Thanks very much!
Hi FH,

Really useful info - thank you.

I do have a question though, We would never travel without adequate insurance - however, I am aware that even minor injuries can cost huge amounts. Travelling as a family of 5, what worries me is that I have been told that many facilities require you to pay the bill and then claim off of insurance. Whilst we always have an emergency credit card with us, it would not run to more than a few thousand.

What would happen if we needed medical help that cost more than what we could afford? Would they liaise with the insurance company or could we be treated and then billed later? Or - could they refuse to treat above what we could afford, even if we could show insurance certification ?

Am hoping it never happens but thought I should ask as we are going again soon and I am a worrier :que

Thank you.

Kelly

Thank you
Kelly

Each country and if we are talking about USA/Florida, each State/Medical Service Provider can have their own unique rules/laws.

Speaking only as far as I know here in US, firstly it is different as to what medical facility you attend. An Urgent Care Clinic can refuse you treatment if you cannot pay or refuse to pay up front. An Emergency Room in a hospital is different, even if you say to the hospital that you have no way of paying whatsoever, they must, under law still treat you. (Although legally they can just stabilize your condition and "kick you out" - but rarely do that).

As I say to my patients - even if you have $1 million in cas in your pocket - you say - here is my insurance details I have no other way of paying - in this "take it or leave it" situation, the hospital will take it. (for this reason write on a piece of paper your insurers name and number for the emergency contact and your policy number - keep it in your purse/wallet and your partners too - you never carry important docs like your policy with you and never have it at the hospital when you need it)

Also I hear all the time "they would not let me leave without paying" - RUBBISH - you think that because of the carefull way they "ask" for payment. If they refused your leaving inform them that is unlawfull imprisonment and you will call the Police.

Good Travels

C.
would you say virgin is ok for holiday insurance? thanks.
Bubble.

Virgin (actually RBS) is ag good as most. Little problems.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.