America - Florida Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Florida.
Babangida wrote:

1. Would it be cheaper to fly from Manchester or London )I live in Newcastle and I don't think they do direct flights)

You could book flights all on one ticket NCL-LGW / LHR / Orlando. Flights are only release 330 days ahead so August 2013. Check http://www.kayak.co.uk You could check this year for next year to give you an idea of routing and prices, although they will change.

2. Would you suggest doing the holiday differently i.e less time in florida and more time in miami.

No, you will need more time in Orlando than Miami. Miami is very built up and sprawly. Miami Beach is 22 miles from Miami. We did a 2 centre and could have missed out Miami quite happily, but that's just my opinion.

3. Who would you suggest i book with. (would it be better to book everything individually) Company names would be appreciated if possible to give me a helping hand.

Virgin, among others, do packages. Price both packaged and DIY as DIY will usually, but not always, be cheaper.

4. When would the earliest point I could book?

Packages may be available earlier than flight only. See above.

5. Would i need visas or anything.

See the Passport, Visa, ESTA topic at the top of this forum. You will need a Visa if you have ever been arrested for a Crime involving Moral Turpitude. Otherwise you will all need an ESTA visa waiver at $14 each which lasts for 2 years. Make sure you use the link on Page 1 of that topic as there are some scam sites with similar names which charge a lot more.

6. Where would you suggest I stay in Florida (a Villa or hotel) and in Miami.

7. Who would I rent a car from?

I would avoid any "free" car hire as the insurance you will pay once you get there will be a lot more expensive than booking a car yourself. Try Car Hire 3000 or Netflights instead.

Im sorry to ask all this but Im trying to build a picture as to how to do this successfully.
Kind regards and any help i would be extremely grateful, babangida...
Is Miami a must do? A week is an awful long time to spend there but I'm not a fan anyway. Personally, I would spend the third week driving down to the Keys but with a youngster on board, a week on the Gulf Coast would fit better.

If you do decide to go to Miami, maybe split the stay up with some time in Fort Lauderdale, the Venice of the States.
Thanks very much for your feedback. I will bare that in mind. Hopefully other people may be able to give some advice too..
I did this years ago with my kids and we found 2 weeks in Orlando and 1 week in Naples on the Gulf Coast works well. I have both flown into Miami and been through it a few times, but it wouldn't be my first choice for 7 nights to be honest.

One of the things that worked for us was driving from one resort to the other leaving very early in the morning and taking the slight detour to Tampa so that we could go to Bush Gardens. That is a park that is worth visiting with older children as it has plenty of white knuckle rides.

Or as has been suggested if you think they might like water based activities maybe a nice hotel in Key Largo would be a good bet.

If you are getting a fly drive you could do a split of 14 nights Orlando, 2/3 nights Miami and 5/4 in the Keys.

Oh dear typing about it is making me all nostalgic and wanting to do it again. Happy Days. You will have a blast. :tup
I'm in the US and I've been to Miami numerous times, but except for leaving on a cruise I wouldn't bother. If you want South Florida I would stay in Fort Lauderdale, it's a much nicer smaller resort. If you have a car you can take a trip to Sawgrass Mills ( 350 shops), take a tour of the Everglades
by airboat and take a ride over to South Beach for the day... Miami is expensive, and traffic is horrible.
In Fort Lauderdale you can get around by water taxi and get around the beach area by Sun Trolley.
I agree with the others, the Gulf Coast is more attractive and more family oriente - check out some reviews online of different resorts..
I would check car hire prices carefully.

2 weeks fully inclusive car hire next July with Virgin - intermediate 4 door with air
c o n (toyota corrolla or similar) is

£256.50

Checked on Car Hire 3000 expecting a bargain & an intermediate 4 door with air-c o n (hyundai Sanoato or similar) is

£254.21

So I wouldn't automatically write off your travel companys car hire offers without going into the figures thoroughly. For me i would rather pay the extra £2 to keep it all on the same booking. It would be different I guess if I could save £50 or so.

Also the virgin price is for 2013 and the car Hire 3000 is for 2012 as they do not go beyond May 2013 yet, so there could also be a potential price rise in the later as well.

xxx
I'm another who doesn't like Miami much, however I can see the draw for a teenager, wanting to go to Miami beach etc. If you must do that then it would be good as someone suggested to split your time between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Fort Lauderdale is just north of Miami, so you would pass there anyway. We did a 11 night trip a few years ago - we arrived in Tampa, stayed a couple of nights in Downtown St Pete's, then across via Orlando (for a few hours) to Melbourne on the oppposite coast for a few nights, then down to Fort Lauderdale for a few nights, across to Naples for a few night, then up to St Pete's beach for a few nights. It was really good. You could feasibly do Miami, then Naples, St Pete's beach and back to Orlando in a week. If you drive from Fort Lauderdale or Miami across to Naples you will go along alligator alley which might be fun for the kids.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.